Search

The Basics on Japan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Basics on Japan

Hi,
I am looking for some very basic info to start planning for a trip to Japan to see our daughter mid March to the first week in April. She lives in Sapporo, so we will spend the last week or so with her there rely on her local knowledge to fill the days. However, the first 2 weeks I would like her to come with us to the southern part of the country as she has not yet been. If you had 10 to 14 days to spend and had never been to Japan, how would you allot the time? Three days in Tokyo, 3 in Kyoto, etc.? and how would you travel if 4 people were involved - rent a car? Take the train? We may never get back to Japan so I would like to see the highlights as much as possible without running from place to place like a mad woman. Thank you so much for your help. Joanne
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 01:52 PM

I'd do 3 days Tokyo, 4 kyoto and then 3 visiting Himeji Castle, Hiroshima and Miyajima.

Maybe start at the bottom and have your DD fly down to meet you there, then work your way back up.

Would definitely not drive- too stressful, too expensive. The trains in Japan are a real pleasure and you and your husband can get Rail Passes. With a two week pass, you could probably get from the south back up to Sapporo, then fly back to tokyo or wherever you'll leave from Japan.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 02:56 PM
kja

Hi, joannecam -

There is some very helpful information at this web-site:

http://www.japan-guide.com/

Enjoy!
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 06:01 PM

HI there,

Yes - speaking from the Sapporo end of things - i'd say go south first and then do sapporo at the end of your stay - because the weather will be better and there is a chance of cherry blossoms - they usually hit Hakodate in south Hokkaido the end of April...then Sapporo the first week or second week of May.

I'd suggest Kyoto/Nara, then onto Hiroshima and Miyakijima.

Can you fly into Kansai airport? it would save you some travel time...and your daugghter could either fly down to meet you there, or she could take the train or a ferry to near Kyoto from Hokkaido!

Amanda in Sapporo
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Sorry...i just realized your dates are March and April

in that case you should definatly leave coming to Hokkaido until the end of the trip and hope the weather is getting better...snow melting, streets a bit dirty...not so great season really...but you'llbe here to see where your daughter lives and works.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 01:52 AM

About Rail Passes. You and your husband, as visitors to Japan, can get Japan Rail Pass but your daughter cannot, because she lives there. You cannot just get an extra exchange order (which has to be bought in advance of arriving in Japan) for her because, when it comes to change it for the actual pass in Japan, they will look for the relevant visitor's visa in her passport. You can still buy and use yours, it's just that your daughter will have to pay for normal point-to-point tickets.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Hi

I went to Japan a couple of years back and I have posted a trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/japan_tokyo.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there to start with

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I think that you are joking, Snakka.

I am not American, but I visited Japan and my impression is that Japanese are very nice and kind people.
They are ready to help a foreigner, and they are very polite.
I took some day tours and there the most of the people where Americans. I did not hear any of them complaining about a rude behavior of the local people.