Reload this Page >

The 100 Best Things to do in Vietnam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Amy

I'm doing some trip-dreaming (it's three loooong months away) and I'd love to hear from you about your favorite things (places, entertainment, food, anything!) about Vietnam. <BR>Of course I don't expect to hear 100 from one person, but I'd love for any and all to share their happy experiences!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Al

For starters:<BR>1. Attend a water-puppet show in Hanoi.<BR>2. Eat a bowl of pho.<BR>3. Spend a day boating on HaLong Bay.<BR>4. Go see Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum and home in Hanoi.<BR>5. Take the train and bus to Sapa and spend some time in Hmong villages.<BR>6. Walk around the Citadel in Hue.<BR>7. Take a cruise on the Perfume River.<BR>8. Walk the beach and through the old town in Hoi An.<BR>9. Visit the floating markets on the Mekong.<BR>10. Relax in the Temple of Literature in Hanoi.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 11:42 PM
Ursula

Great idea, Amy. Thanks.<BR><BR>Thanks Al. Your 10s are on my list already.<BR>Looking also forward to the Asian food. Love it. I wonder what's the main difference between Vietnamese and Thai, Chinese, Indonesian. Maybe less spicy..<BR><BR>Leaving already next Wednesday. <BR>Plase keep answers coming, <BR>Please, please! Thanks.<BR><BR>Can't wait to go back -- finally.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Bill

Amy: I just returned from Vietnam and enjoyed my visit to the Mekong Delta more than any thing else. Email me if you want more details.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Amy

Thanks, everyone!<BR>Any more Vietnam favorite places or memories for the "Top 100"?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Alan

Just sitting around near any street corner (especially around the park in Hanoi) watching the bicycle girls glide past in their ao-dais is an experience to make you believe that, yes, Man was created in the image of the Divine.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:01 AM
topping

Just topping this for more input.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Mary Anne Cook

1.Sit on the top of the Majestic Hotel in Saigon,eat,drink,and watch the boats on the Saigon River.<BR>2 Go out in the country and see the beautiful green rice fields.<BR>3. Be there during Tet although the traffic can be very bad, see all the beautiful flowers, and hopefully as we were you may be invited to a Vietnamese home.<BR>4. Meet especially the young people who enjoy practicing their English with you.<BR>5. The postoffice in Saigon which is a smaller Grand Central Station in NY.<BR>6. Ride a cyclo in Saigon or Hanoi and have a driver promise you he will take care of you just like you are his Mother.<BR>7. Enjoy the friendly people.<BR>8. Have some silk clothes made.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:59 PM
feemie

* eat another bowl of pho, only this time, have it for breakfast<BR><BR> * buy flowers from a bicycle vendor or in the street market. Set them up in your hotel room for a lovely pick-me-up at the end of a long day<BR><BR> * definitely take an overnight boat trip: a yummy seafood dinner is prepared for you on the boat, sleep on the top deck (ask for extra blankets) under the stars. Get up early and jump off the boat and go kayaking! This was the highlight of my N. Vietnam trip<BR><BR> * Absolutely get some silk clothing tailor made. There's a whole street in the old quarter in Hanoi. Hoi An is a great place for this too.<BR><BR>Have a great trip everyone! I'm off to Bali in 4 days!<BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Laura

I agree with Al except for the Halong bay trip. It was pleasant, but I am not sure it was worth the time investment. There is a wonderful restaurant in Hanoi which my cousin sent us to. It is called Cha Ca and I think is on Cha ca street, but your hotel should be able to tell you. It is a small restaurant up a flight of stairs. They serve only one dish, and have done so for generations. It is catfish cooked at your table. Just be smarter than us - don't eat the dish of peanuts they put on the table. That is not a nibble, it is cooked with the fish. They very nicely refilled it without giggling at the dumb Americans. We loved our entire 12 day trip which took us to Hanoi, Nha Trang, danang, Hue, dalat, Ho Chi Minh City, with lots of driving in between. The driving was almost the best part - but don't try to drive yourself. These roads are by far the worst we have seen in Asia. It felt like 5 lanes of traffic (including animals etc) were going in both directions on a 2 lane road. Fascinating, but definitely not for outsiders to try. I don't know how old you are, but we are old enough to remember the Vietnam War and were amazed at how friendly people were to Americans. <BR>Do make sure you have a boat trip through the MeKong Delta.<BR>One warning, we were ther in January and were very hot much of the time. It sounds like you are going in the summer and will be even hotter. Just go prepared, and be ready to take advantage of the beautiful beaches if you go to the coastal area. Also, we were surprised by the wonderful pastries in Viet Nam, then remembered that the French had been there for many years.<BR>Enjoy.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:45 AM
feemie

oooooops! I forgot to clarify: the overnigth boat trip I referred to was out to Halong Bay. I think there's a big difference between the day trip, and the overnight trip. ou'll travel much farther out, and to kayak and/or hike right into the caves was amazing! <BR><BR>You can also stay out another evening and spend a night on a small island.<BR><BR>I didn't make to to Sapa due to time constraints, yet I hear it's wonderful!<BR><BR>Have a good trip!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Amy

I'm back...what a wonderful trip!<BR>I'm working on a trip report now, but just to add a bit to the list (we've got roughly 25 so far, so I'll start with 26)<BR>26. those beautiful smiles<BR>27. motorbike taxis <BR>28. the Cham museum in Danang<BR>29. the bread, the coffee, the lemon juice, the dragonfruit! <BR>30. best night's sleep ever on Halong Bay<BR>31. the little old lady in Hanoi who shared her umbrella and conversation with me by the lake<BR>32. cyclo tour of Hanoi<BR>33. shoulder massage, manicure, and facial in Hoi An...for about three bucks<BR>34. Hue's citadel<BR>35. the view out of the open bus window (wear sunscreen!) on the ride from Hue to Hoi An: breathtaking<BR>36. ButThap pagoda, with its timeless peace<BR>37. HCMC's Notre Dame cathedral; first time I've ever seen neon used at altars!<BR>38. riding on the flat roof of the canal boat through the Mekong Delta, seeing the graceful tiny bridges that span the canals<BR>39. adorable children<BR>40. exploring the CuChi tunnels<BR><BR>I could go on...anyone else?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:02 AM
KN

I grew up in Cantho (until age 12) and now living in the US. I went back to visit three times in the last 5 yrs. My favorite thing to do getting up early in the morning for some ice expresso and people watch. The image of students on their way to school brought back many happy memories.<BR><BR>The main difference between Vietnamese food and other asian cuisines is the use of fish sauce. Fish sauce can be use in pure form to marinate or dilute with water, lime juice, chili pepper, and garlic to be used as dipping sauce. <BR>Curry is not used widely in Vietnamese cooking.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Thuong

To Amy.<BR><BR>All is 99 best things to do in Vietnam. and 01 best thing I recommend is visit Lak lake in the central highland of Vietnam. Has any one ride elephant to visit minority villages and cruise on a single tree boat there???<BR><BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:26 AM
Rastaman

Vietnam. I discovered Vietnam quite by accident. Long Story. It is one of the most spectacular places on earth and I also think the people there are just so incredible. Go there and have a great time. Make sure you do the trip to Sapa in the north west and also there is a boat trip you can take on the Halong Bay. Really beautiful. In Hanoi I bought this tour for 50usd from the Kangaroo Cafe. They also organised my trip to Sapa and then south to Hue and HCM in so many other places in between. I love Vietnam and will be there again next year (I hope). I could talk more about this magical land but you will just have to go there and see for yourself.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 11:46 PM
Jeanine

Iam visiting vietnamn om 14 november<BR>question nr one....<BR>do I need to book tickes in advance for the water puppet show<BR>have you been to HoaBinh /minority villages<BR>is it worthy to visit theDMZ from Hue<BR>from a safety point of view what would you say about HMC??? is that bad??? can i carry my camera or better leave it at the hotel<BR>Jeanine

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Mary

wonderful info re North Vietnam.<BR>Where to stay that is charming and comfortable?<BR>also, when is Tet in 2003?<BR>4 of us, seasonede travellers,will be there in January/ February 2003.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Mary

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Mary

wonderful info re North Vietnam.<BR>Where to stay that is charming and comfortable?<BR>also, when is Tet in 2003?<BR>4 of us, seasonede travellers,will be there in January/ February 2003.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Mary