Search

Thailand with kids

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2019, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand with kids

Hi,
My family will travel to Thailand for 10 days in this mid April. We are considering to visit Bangkok (3 days), Ayutthaya (1 day), Chiang Mai (4 days) and a beach (2 days) and looking for some suggestions on our itinerary plus pleasant places/ restaurants/ activities for kids.
For the beach, should we include Hua Hin or Phuket? Does Hua Hin seem to be a better choice given the limited time we have? Or we can just take 1 day from Bangkok/ Chiang Mai and go for Phuket? What are the transport options to either beach from BK/ CM?
Besides, what can we expect and in which city will we get the best experience out of the famous Songkran festival?
Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Mar 6th, 2019, 12:02 PM

Mid April is the height of the burning season in Northern Thailand. You may be ok but personally, I wouldn’t risk it especially with kids. We have visited a couple of times at that time of year and both time we were smoked out. The air quality was really bad.

Hua Hin does not have especially nice beaches and these days it is a bit of a sprawling city. I would consider sourcing a niceness hotel in Phuket or may Koh Lanta.

You can get the train or drive to HH from Bangkok 3-4 hours. Phuket you need to fly. If from Cm then via Bangkok.

Another alternative close to Phuket is Khao Lak. Phuket is probably more geared to kids but a lot depends on the hotel and location
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

We have decided to skip Chiangmai and are now checking out some potential resorts in Phuket. Thanks for the input!
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 02:40 PM

I came back from Hua Hin 5 days ago. i rested there with daughter there. its Thai brilliant without noisy, dirty as Phuket and excellent Takiab beach with amazing view to monkey island. all accommodations, food and beverages are cheaper than Phuket. there was taxi car for 10BT along beach and city.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 03:36 AM

Pattaya has also been suggested, while it has a sleazy rep it does look like there's nice places to stay and a lot to do for kids.

Thing with Pattaya is that while its reputation is earned it's only certain parts of Pattaya that have the sleaze and even in the areas that do you only really see it late afternoon/evening.

Pattaya and its surrounds is a big place with lots to do for family. Water parks, Ripley's Believe it or not, Art in Paradise, Siam Miniature Village, Nong Nooch Garden, Teddy Bear Museum and that's just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.

The shopping and some of the cultural attractions would be appealing to kids as well.

The trick is to stay away from the red light areas. I've been to Pattaya three times so I'm not an expert on the exact locations but Pattaya City near the main Pattaya Beach/ Walking Street area would be the place not to stay if you want to avoid the sleaze.

North Pattaya and Jomtien by comparison are fine for kids and offer lots of different options when it comes to accommodation. Jomtien is also a nicer/cleaner beach compared to Pattaya City although for a beach a trip Koh Larn is nicer again.