Notices

Thailand in 3 weeks

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand in 3 weeks

Can anyone offer any suggestions on the itinerary below. We are travelling with a 3 year old so want places that are not too crazy but with lots of fun things to do, also trying to factor in the weather.
2 nights Bangkok (Sheraton Royal Orchid)
2 nights Rayavadee in Krabi
2 nights Holiday Inn Phi Phi
6 nights Ko Samui (still not sure of a good hotel on a nice beach for around $150/night-suggestions?)
We were initially thinking of Phuket, but heard that the weather on Ko Samui would be better in September.
Thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:33 AM

I am a little confused, if you are trying to avoid Phuket, why are you going to the Phi Phi islands and Krabi which are both in the Phuket area? You have to take a boat from Phuket to reach Phi Phi which takes about an hour. In the rain or winds generated by the monsoon season, this could be unpleasant, esp for a child.

Assuming you are flying into Bangkok I would take 3-4 nights there. Your child will be fairly turned around with jet lat and the heat and humidity will affect all of you. You might need time to recover a bit.

Sept is the second rainiest month on average in Koh Samui, although they get less rain the Phuket.

Sept generally is not a great month in Thailand in terms of rain. You are better off further south in a place like Bali. If you don't need a beach, yiu might consider northern Thailand in Sept, a bit less rainy and a few degress cooler than Bangkok and Phuket area.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:57 AM

We just got back from Thailand last week and it looks like you have an ambitious schedule planned. We traveled with our two kids, 7 &10, and had a wonderful time at Rayavadee where the water was calm despite the monsoon season. If possible, I'd stay longer at Rayavadee and do a day trip to Phi Phi Island rather than spending a lot of time packing and unpacking. You and your family will love the pool overlooking Railay Beach and the place was nearly deserted so we almost had the resort to ourselves. With the low season, eating options are somewhat limited, especially for dinner, and in consideration of the other guests who might not wish to hear the sound of kids, we opted instead for dinner a few nights at the beachside restaurant a short stroll away in front of the Sand Sea Resort. The food was pretty good, it was more family -oriented and we could sit, eat and watch the kids play in the sand without worrying about distrubing anyone.
The ride to Phi Phi island takes about an hour and a half depending on the weather and while I didn't see the Holiday Inn, the island itself is kind of tacky and crowded. If you are there in Krabi, it and the surrounding islands are not to be missed, but packing and unpacking with kids is bad enough- with a 3 year old, we'd be spending our whole time inside.
As for the rest of your trip, I'll leave Ko Samui to someone else, but while the Sheraton is nice, with kids, my wife insisted on having a kitchen and a clothes washing machine, especially where it is so hot and humid. Have you considered a serviced apartment? We found one that was excellent and reasonably priced in Bangkok and had a great time there. The kids really liked the complimentary tuk tuk to take you anywhere within a few kilometers or to the Emporium where you can get almost everything. It was the Somerset Lake Point in the Sukhumvit area, but I understand the parent company, Ascot, has other properties in Bangkok like it.
Have a great time.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 05:50 PM

On Koh Samui, if you can get a decent price at the Central Samui, I'd grab it. It's a complete resort and I think its the best choice if you have kids(great pools etc). It IS on busy Chaweng Beach, though, so if you want a quieter beach, the White House on Chong Mon Beach would be my choice. We,too, just got back and stayed at the Sheraton Royal Orchid in BKK also--which we loved. One other thought, the elephant camp we visited near Chiang Mai was the best thing our family liked on our trip.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 07:36 PM

you also might look at the peace resort on koh samui....it comes highly recommended although i have not as yet stayed there....they are kid friendly...
another option which i have tried is hua hin, 2.5 hours drive south of bangkok...the marriott there is very kid friendly and there is a kids program and baby sitters....we loved this resort and i think you would enjoy it too...its not too big which is nice and is 5 minutes out of the town right on the beach
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:50 AM

This is a dinky little site that gives some route ideas based on how long you have and what you want to see, it's a Thai site though in English. rates are good too.

http://www.huahin.4t.com/tips.html
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 06:58 AM

Wow...you want to stay in 4 places in 12 nts. good lord!
We did 3 places in Thailand in 3 weeks and that was more than enough travel for me. Now imagine that with a 3yr. old.
I would definately suggest no more than 3 spots max.
Phi Phi island takes a little effort to get to, but if you do stay there then either Holiday Inn or Phi Phi Island Village...all the others are nasty (i saw them up close).We stayed at pp island village and it was very nice.
Bangkok-yes 2 days sounds good.
The others I can't comment on.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Having traveled to Thailand with a 3 year old (plus a 6 year old) I certainly would go to as few places as possible. Rayavadee and Bangkok would be enough. We loved RAyavadee and so did the kids. Our rate included dinner, but if you get one without, it would be better. Eating next door in more informal ambiance (playing in the sand) is more fun for a kid. Bangkok is great with lots to see and do. Phi Phi is an ok day trip. We spent two days going to islands near Krabi, sea kyaking, snorkling off the boat, etc. We were not impressed with Ki Samui compared with Rayavadee except Ko Samui is cheaper. It is a pain to get to. Make like simple and stay longer and enjoy more. FYI..when were at Ray.. they even had a resident nurse who was helpful when our 3 year old has a small problem.