Thailand trip- shopping tips, advice

May 1st, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thailand trip- shopping tips, advice

Hy - finally on the 6th of May we are off to our 3 week trip to Thailand - about 5 days Bangkok, about a week Northern Thailand and about 10 days relaxing in Koh Samui.
We have everything booked - just got a few questions to the shopping.
I know shopping in Bangkok is fabulous - and I want to buy a few fake designers bags. I saw a report on TV about - tourists buying fake stuff, and more and more times it was take a way at the customs when coming home - has that happend to anyone???
And then I was told that there is a huge difference in the quality of the fake products - the really good ones - which you can hardly tell from the real ones are very hard to get - but the ones at the markets are sometimes not worth their money...
Then I wanted to know, if I could buy a divesuit in Thailand - or would I have trouble with the size. And is it possible to buy a suit and have it then customized????
thx silvia
May 1st, 2004, 05:46 PM

we have done tons of shopping in thailand over 5 trips....next trip in 3 weeks...
we have never shopped fake bags however...just asked my wife and her response was..."pretty plastic--ee"...better ones in korea with more actual leather....
we were in chinatown in boston last weekend and they had tons of goodlooking bags for $25-60....and in march in venice and florence the africans were selling on the street for cheap prices....so you should see similar in bkk and maybe chiang mai...
let me look in our shopping guide---i see no listing for these items...book tends to be upscale, although they had a page on "copy" watches...$25....

there are lots of luggage stores in bkk and at the weekend market and i would start there....i should think that the weekend market might be an excellent place....you could also send an e-mail to nancy chandler's company and ask them....
upon arrival in hawaii a few years ago i was asked specifically if i had any knock off items, especially watches...

if i bought bags i would use them while on the trip and pack them with things inside...would only buy a few and expect not to even be asked....be prepared to have them taken away however....i doubt it will happen...

there is a huge diffence from one vendor to the next...look everything over very carefully and if they bring out a fresh one for you to take away, check it especially carefully....buyer beware...
May 4th, 2004, 02:22 AM

their is NO value in picking up a fake plastic bag which so happens too have a design of a famouse maker. of course their may be less value in paying $500+ for a real FENDI bag...

if you are willing too pay $25 in bkk then you can find yourseelf a real nice leather, or maybe exotic skin bag just by looking for NO names.

remember $25 is a good deal of money here.. most bags in thai shops go for way less then $10 some kind of look as if they gave a half attempt too copy a famouse bag but not enough too make it a fake and if they do offer a fake they are not marked up since most thai women don;t have a clue what GUCCI even is.

TIP 1..
the best place for clothes, fakes, and the lot.. is Pratuman market/ Pratunam distict... it is one of asia's major wholesale clothig distrubution centers

tip 2 like some of us on the board who live in bkk we tend too go too big C or Tesco lotus which is basicly like a Wallmart for shopping.. it offers good prices minus the haggling and heat.

tip 3 chatuchuk market is mentioned a lot in travel guides and this board. it's an interesting travel destination. it is better for picking up woodwork, used jeens, and Basset hounds as opposed too most clothing and acceseries... the venders as a rule go too Pratumam too buy thier stock.

May 4th, 2004, 03:39 AM

No one has mentioned my favorite "mall" in BKK. MBK is unlike any mall in the USA. Yes, there is a big department store, but everything else is small shops. Some are great for haggling on prices. Check the small luggage shops for copy bags. They don't always have them out on display. You have to ask. There are some very good copies at MBK. But there are also some copies that aren't worth the cheap price there too.

Another favorite place is the Central Chidlom department store, located right at the Chidlom skytrain stop. It's a nice dept store.

I also like the Jim Thompson bags. These are gorgeous Thai silk, and not too expensive. There was one on ebay exactly like one I bought. I paid about $75 US and on ebay, the asking price starts at $150. The J Thompson silk purses, ties, cosmetics bags, etc. are very very lovely. I get compliments all the time!

Have a great time in Thailand. Oh, and I love Samui!! Very relaxing!! And Chiang Mai has a lot to offer as well.
May 4th, 2004, 06:27 PM

billT just posted his trip report and i believe he said that MBK has knock-off bags
May 5th, 2004, 04:26 AM

Yes MBK has a number of designer bags- they seem to have a lot of the latest Dior bags withg the light blue/white floral design with the numner 1 or 2 on them- the wife did not like this design but it is the latest. Also Louis Vuitton baga- but this designer is old hat by now and the wife passes on these. She did find a Versage (spelling?)bag and plenty of Hermes/Ferragamo/Gucci/Coach wallets and such. many of the stalls have these out in plain sight. Ratt can also take you to a number of shops that have a bigger selection. We visited some of these shops but the people there were not willing to bargain a lot so we did not buy.
Note- we came back thru LAX and were just waved thru customs no questions- it was a breeze!
May 5th, 2004, 09:14 AM

TIP 4 buying electonics may finally be worthwhile yesterday the government loward the 20% import terif too 5% and the 5% terifs too 0%...

this is a verry new news and may not be prices into products yet so I have no comment weather the prices are finally on par with US or HK prices..
May 5th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

hy - thx for all the tips.. I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Bill I've read your trip report - it's great....

We are from Austria/Europe - so I don't know how it will be at the customs - but I'll try anyway..

thx alot - I got loads of information from this board...
May 5th, 2004, 01:00 PM

silvia1808 - We live in Belgium and just got back from a trip to Thailand. We were stopped and questioned by customs when we arrived. They searched through our handluggage and asked whether we had bought any fake bags/watches.

I think they are generally ok if you tell them you have bought some stuff for your own personal use. You never know though - they may end up searching your suitcases too.
May 5th, 2004, 05:48 PM

So far, in five trips to BKK, I've not been searched or asked when returning stateside, about my purchases. I've bought a few "fakes" but just for my own personal use. The time of day that a BKK flight (via NRT) arrives at ORD is extremely busy! Customs just flags you through since there are hundreds of people in the baggabe area at the same time.
May 5th, 2004, 06:45 PM

If you are returning to U.S., you are allowed to bring back one piece of knock-off/fake goods for your personal use. This is stated explicitely in the US Customs website.

Forgive me for barging in: all of the "shopping tips in Thailand" talk about Bangkok, what about shopping tips in Chiangmai?
Thanks