Thailand Travel help needed

Old Sep 9th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand Travel help needed

We are headed to Thailand Nov 22-Dec 2. My husband and I are thirties, have no kids, and travel a good amount. We plan to spend 2 days in Bangkok (staying at the Penisula) then planning the rest of the time south beaches,Phuket area,etc. We fly out from Phuket Dec 2. I am wondering about accommodations, where and how long. I was thinking of spending a few days in a really nice resort (caping out at $550 per night as it is our belated honeymoon) We want it to have great views and beach is a must. The rest of the time, I was planning on a lower prices resort and doing activities most days. (

So:
1) Is this a good plan to split our stay in 2 places? or should we just stay in one resort in Phuket area for 7 days?
2) If we do pick two resorts, Should I pick a resort in the Phuket area or venture to other islands like Krabi, etc. for "nice luxury" experience?
2) Where should we stay in Phuket area? Don't want a place crowed with children, but also don't want a place that is totally dead at night, and isolated. Any good location to daytime and nighttime activities as well as a good resort? Beach is a plus. We have Renaissance booked, but not sure if we are satisfied that that....
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Personally, I'd spend more time in Bangkok, but that is a matter of personal preference. Also, I'd choose one place to stay at the beach. Moving hotels will take up half a day that you could be relaxing and enjoying instead of packing up, moving and unpacking.

There are plenty of nice places in Phuket as well as Krabi (which is not an island, by the way), and Khao Lak, etc. I'd consider places like Mom Tri's Villa Royale, or either one of the JW Marriotts - the one at Phuket or the one at Khao Lak. There are plenty of other very lovely places in the greater Phuket area.
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

JW Mariott looks kind of old....thoughts?? Where else do you suggest?
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Old? Are you looking at/reading about the time share units?

This is the Phuket Marriott I'm thinking of: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...esort-and-spa/ I've never heard anyone complain about this place. But it may not be your style.

If you want top of the line look at the Amanpuri http://www.amanresorts.com/amanpuri/home.aspx It's out of my price range.

Say more about what you are looking for and we may be more helpful.
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 05:07 PM

IMO the Sarojin in Khao Lak will be a good honeymoon resort. If you rent a car there are also a lot of places you can see or visit around the area so 7 days or 6 nights sounds right. Also, you can visit the Similan islands or other nearby places from there.

The Sarojin in Khao Lak. http://www.sarojin.com/en/

Near to the Sarojin there is a JW Marriott, a bit cheaper and a few Fodorties have stayed there and like the place.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Still feeling like staying 4 nights in a more modest hotel (under $200 USD) and then 3 night in luxury resort before heading back to the USA(top at $6oo night) Would staying in a luxury Krabi for a few nights then heading to more moderate hotel in Phuket make sense over a 7day period or is that too much travel?

Comparing these luxury resorts to stay 3 nights , thought I am open to opinion. We like a beautiful beach, good service and location:
Krabi Area-
Rayadavee
Ritz Carlton Reserve
Pimalai Resort And Spa

Or Phuket Luxury Resort-
Shore at Katahani
Trisa
Surin Beach Resort
The Naka Island
Love the Six Senses Yao Noi but price rose way to much to nearly $1000/night

Comparing these luxury resorts to stay 4 nights for good location for activities, resurants and on the beach or easy access to them
Renaissance
JW Marriott (is a a bit remote??)
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Regent Phuket Cape Panwa
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
Matadee

PLEASE HELP
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 05:21 PM

For the "luxury resort" with a budget of $600 per night you will be able to only get the smallest or cheapest rooms at most of the resorts you've mentioned. I like to suggest that for Krabi go for something like the Centara Krabi and stay in a club suite instead. IMO during Nov - Feb most of the top resorts around Phuket, Krabi etc will require over $1,000 ++ per night.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 05:29 PM

I think 2 days in Bangkok, 5 nights Phuket is good. We loved Phuket! You can take boat excursions to the other islands if you want. Check out the Adamas hotel. It was amazing and, if I recall correctly, reasonably priced.