Reload this Page >

Thailand - Tailor

Search

Thailand - Tailor

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 07:58 PM
Rhoda Johnson Meade

Thailand - Tailor

I am going to Thailand for 3 weeks in November. I have heard great stories about the "tailors" particularly in Bangkok. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a tailor in BKK or tips on how to find one. <BR>Thank You. Rhoda

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 11:22 AM
Filip Verselder

Hi Rhoda, <BR>A couple of years ago I had some suits made at the Modelli boutique, Amarin Plaza shopping center. <BR>The quality was OK. Later on I ordered <BR>some more by mail. <BR>They keep your sizes ...so if you can keep yours you can have tailor made clothes later on too. <BR>Enjoy your trip. <BR>Filip

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 05:05 AM
Kari

At the Oriental shopping Arcade (close to Oriental Hotel) there is a tailer called "Cotton house". I have bought a lot of tings there, and are quite satisfied. But, of course, you shoud be quite spesific in what you want.

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also used Cotton House and was very satisfied.

Gloria
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:24 PM

i have been using jack at monet il sarto II at the plaza at the marriott resort and spa for a number of years...he just did a jacket and shirts for me last month...i have sent several fodorites there and they were very pleased...he does both mens and womens...

my wife also likes js thai silk on the ground floor of the river city shopping center...opposite the info booth at the sheraton orchid end of the building...they do primarily silk work, but also do cottons and other things...everything is produced in their own workshop on the premises...

both offer good pricing and excellent quality....tell them karen and bob from boston sent you...
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:53 PM
CFW

Bob, Do you purchase fabric separately from another store or do they also sell fabric? I'm interested in a silk pants outfit -- perhaps with a chinese style jacket with frog buttons. I think you said Karen had something like that made. What can I expect the cost to be?
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:53 PM

if you are talking of js thai silk, they prefer to supply you with the fabric...this is not an absolute however...

karen had a suit almost as you describe made from a soft washable silk from their supply...she also had stiff, heavy silk dress pants made from their supply...

for a small shop they have a good supply of fabric..

we did bring them in a piece of cheap jim thompson cotton to have a blouse made and there was no problem...they do not have much cotton...we had done this before...we always make sure that we buy plenty from them if we are bringing fabric in...know what i mean...??

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:15 AM
CFW

Thanks, Bob. Can you give me an idea of cost for a pants outfit at JS Thai Silk? Do they have patterns or do you bring in something you have and have them copy it?
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:00 AM

CFW...the pants, two blouses (one fabric was ours), the pant and shirt suit (like you described) were a total of $185....don't think we know the breakdown...ms yai adds all kinds of little details as you desire...

they have some books, some samples, but usually karen just describes in detail what she wants.....

for instance one of the blouses was to be form fitting, with 3/4 length sleeves with a large cuff (for folding back) and was to have extra fabric on the inside of the lapels of the collar so that it could be rolled back open...ms yai suggested a sport coat like slit in the center back (like a man's sport jacket)..it makes for a nice look when worn out or can easily be tucked in...

they totally customize anything to your liking...

if you have a favorite style or look and think you can not describe it just bring a picture...

allow for a couple of fittings to make adjustments....

karen always has cloth covered buttons on most things...she had frogs on the two piece suit...

hope this helps
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 08:57 AM
CFW

Thanks, sounds great!