Thailand post offices/mail

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand post offices/mail

We were in Bangkok near the end of January and mailed 2 boxes to the US surface mail a week apart. They told us it would be 8 weeks, but we are well past taht and no packages. It's all our souvenirs from Africa and India and most from Thailand.
Bangkok seemed OK to mail from. Anyone else sent things from there? Did you ever get them?
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:37 PM

Over the last few years we've sent only post cards from various Thai post offices...and not a single one has ever arrived at its destination.

Did you register and insure your packages?
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:07 PM

i receive mail and postcards from thailand all the time in the usa....both ones i have sent and ones sent to me by others...

i have received pieces of jewelry through regular mail which was mailed in bangkok...

i don't understand what you mean by us surface mail....you mean thai surface mail that connects to the us mails??

i would not worry until 4 months have passed...

a friend mailed some boxes from the main post office in bkk some years ago....when he received them some items (ladies purses and the like) were missing, but he did receive his box...

tailors mail things to fodorites from bkk all the time and they arrive perfectly...

keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best....but wait a bit longer....they may even be hung up in us customs which is far slower than in the past...

do you have any tracer numbers or insurance? without that you may be out of luck if you do not receive them, but don't give up yet...
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Should have been to US by surface mail. They didn't have insurance available they said. We were on round world trip and weren't in a hurry for it, but have been home a month now.

None of our postcards from Thailand arrived either. Ironically, we were afraid to mail from Africa and India, but Bangkok seemed so safe. However, all the postcards from other countries made it. Our package mailed later from Hong Kong came too.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Do let us know if/when you eventually get it.

UPS does have offices in Thailand, and if I were mailing something home, I would use them.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM

i would try to use something like ups or fed ex that has tracking along with their service....but it costs huge bucks...that is why we try to carry as much as we can...including an extra suitcase...
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

We did look at UPS, but it was VERY expensive. WE paid $160 US for regular mail and itwould have been 3-4 times that. We just had no idea it wouldn't be safe to mail from Bangkok-it seems safe and modern and we weren't going to be home soon anyway. We had 4 other countries to go to afterwards and were trying to travel light.

Thailand was one of our favorite countries, but this is really changing our impression. It was just souvenirs and gifts, but we can't replace them. We are sick about it.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 09:25 AM

I posted a parcel back to the UK by surface mail at the end of last year which took about 2 months to get here.

Here's hoping that all your travel treasures turn up any day now!
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 11:27 AM

The likes of UPS and fedex do have defferered systems, they usually offer an ultra fast ( perhaps 48 hours ) or something that takes about 5-7 days for an express freight service but it is delivered to you, and of course you can easily insure it.
I know that does not help you now but it is worth others thinking about.