Thailand or Bali, need advice.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we have booked 3 weeks in Thailand in July/Aug, but am a bit concerned in regards to SARS. Am considering Bali now - ( which I know the weather will be better for that time of year ). I have been in 93 and understand it has changed a lot since then, my husband hasn't. I am looking forward to all the shopping. Also I know the beaches aren't that nice, but overall it is cheap.
My husband is leaning towards Hawaii, ( been there done that ). Can someone please make up our minds, and I don't care if I lose points in canceling/changing my FF that I used to book Thailand.
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:19 AM

stick with thailand....my best friend is there now and he reports that there are few tourists and that sars is limited in thailand....he sees some people in masks but not much more than usual.... do bkk, hua hin, ko samui....

you mentioned shopping---you know that bkk has the best and chiang mai right after it....
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Can you get leather jackets made in BBK and desinger (eg: puma )sneakers? Also would you recommend we booked accomodation there or from home (Oz)? What kind of shopping can one do in Chiang Mai?
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:55 AM

We went to Thailand 2 years ago and are going to Bali in late June/early July. We have been monitoring the SARS situation but it does not seem to be a problem in either country. Since we will be overnighting in BKK on the way to and from Bali, we have been paying attention to the situation in Thailand also. Both countries are "cheap". The shopping is great in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. You must check out the handicrafts villages on the outskirts of Chiang Mai. Some people also like the night market there, although I wasn't all that impressed. I would stick to your original plans rather than to lose ff miles and save Bali for a future trip. By the way, I don't think there is much difference in the weather--in July and August it is HOT in both places.
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:03 AM

tuchuzy - it seems I missed a couple if your questions in your second post. You can get almost anything made in Bangkok and I am sure you can find designer sneakers (or knock-offs). You can book accomodation from home over the internet. There are many sites where you can find good rates: check out planetholiday.com, asia-hotels.com and asiatravel.com.
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Craig,
It seems I have booked for 20 days, looking at that now, it seems too much. I'm not sure if I can change it. We basically want total relaxation. The 3 places rhkkmk suggested ( Bkk, hua hin & ko samui ) are the 3 we had intended to go.
I understand you can hire a driver to take you to Hua Hin, is this correct?
Are there different areas that are better than others, if so which ones?
Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:58 AM

SARS was never an issue in Thailand, only 7 cases, that is similar to some countries in Europe. They handled it qucik and it was a success. No problems on that score.
Taxi from Bangkok to Hua Hin costs about US$60 and takes a few hours, you can fly from there to Koh Samui in 1 hour, daily flight. We only paid about US$18 for a nice air conditioned guest house in Hua Hin, not luxury or on the beach but good value. For about $70-80 you will get a top beach resort. The air fare then to Samui is about $45 each way.
Old May 14th, 2003, 05:48 PM

Not sure what total relaxation for you is. Three weeks is a lot of time. When we went we did BKK, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Koh Samui. If you do Koh Samui, you may be disappointed with Hua Hin. When we do Thailand the next time though we will probably do Hua Hin. You should definitely add Chiang Mai and probably Chaing Rai (as a base for exploring northernmost Thailand) to your itineray if you have three weeks. You can fly to these places--quite cheap and not particularly difficult. Great scenery in northern Thailand--hill tribe tours, rice fields, elephant camps, river tours--very "relaxing" for us.
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi there,
Relaxing is sitting by the beach and taking it easy, ( and clothes shopping for me ). Our honeymoon last year in South America was quite hectic so we are looking at total relaxation - and a bit of sight seeing.
Is Bophut a good area to stay in Samui?
Can anyone recommend a clean, not too noisy, fairly cheap area to stay at Hua Hin?
Are the dollars that LucyHo mentioned American - I'm from Oz so I need to know to double it.
Thanks again.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:48 AM

tuchuzy--I have researched Hua Hin and there are a couple of places that are outside of town that are quite reasonable and worth checking into: Aleenta (www.aleenta.com) and Evason Hua Hin (www.sixsenses.com/evason-huahin). Aleenta is brand new--you can probably get a pool villa for next to nothing. The Evason also opened recently but is slightly more expensive. I found out about both of these properties on this site.

The prices Lucy Ho quoted appear to be US dollars, at least for the taxi to Hua Hin. Flying to Koh Samui will run you US$175pp RT ($271 AUD) on Bangkok Airways. They are the only game in town.

If all you want to do is relax on the beach, check out Laem Set Inn on Koh Samui (www.laemsetinn.com). It is located on the southeastern end of the island. We did not find the location to be a problem as the island is fairly small anyway and we enjoyed the isolation. We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite--at US$250/night it was not cheap but it is totally private and has a small dipping pool. There are much lower priced bungalows available also. Laem Set Inn is a small property but has an excellent restaurant and offers boat tours and other activities. They will also hire a driver for you if you wish to check out the shopping areas or the waterfall inland.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Craig. $250 US is way too steep, but I will look into the bungalows. I've read on numerous travel sites that travellers find accomodation from $15US a night - bungalows.
Thanks again.
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:52 AM

The air fare from Hua Hin to Phuket is B 3,500-3,800 return, that is about US$85 return, though I think the 'full fare' Bangkok Airways charge is about US$150 return. They are an expensive airline these days.

The Evason is not in Hua Hin, it is a good 30-40 minutes south at a place called Pranburi, we passed when we visited the National Park, very remote and beach not good.

In Hua Hin if you want expensive places there is the Hyatt Regency, Marriott, Hilton and Sofitel.

The place we stayed was B 750 a night including breakfast, in AUD/SGD that is about $29-30 a night for 2 people. It was recommended on this site and it was very good value and although not on the beach very close. You can find it and other hotel prices for Hua Hin on

http://huahin/sawadee.com/hotels/

We enquired about bus/boat from Hua Hin to Koh Samui, then bus leaves about 9.30 pm from Hua Hin and the boat arrives onto Koh Samui early morning, I 'think' it was about B 750 one way, about US$18 or AUD/SGD $ 30.

If you are from Australia you might want to go from Bangkok to the River Kwai first, from the River Kwai you can take a connecting train or bus down to Hua Hin and you do not have to go back through Bangkok, friends did it that way and they say it was well worth it.
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:54 AM

Forgot to give name, place we stayed in Hua Hin was the 'Pala-u Guest house' , it is on Sawadee.com also or you can search on Google or Yahoo
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I was in Thailand at the beginning of April, at the height of the SARS outbreak. There was not then and there is not now SARS in Thailand. The Thai government was on top of the situation from the beginning and took measures to ensure it would not be a problem there.

As for weather, it is always hot and humid in Thailand, except in the north in winter. From what I've read about Bali, July and August is hot and peak tourist season but in light of the bombing and drop off in tourism, I doubt that will be a concern this year.

I've been to Thailand four times and stayed in Hua Hin a few years ago. We hired a car and driver at BKK airport to drive us to Hua Hin, after flying there from Chiang Mai, the cost was about $100 one way. We stayed at the Sofitel Central Hua Hin which is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. It's a restored colonial structure with beautiful rooms all done in teak, with large balconies. The hotel is on the sea and there are also three swimming pools. The gardens are lovely, with topiary animals and a maze done in shrubbery (is that a word?). A room there can be had for about $120 per night, maybe even less now due to less tourists. If you can afford it, it's a real bargain. The food at the hotel is great and the coffee at breakfast was the best I've ever had. I believe a full breakfast was included in the price. I would also suggest Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai in Thailand. From Chiang Rai you can take a trip to the Golden Triangle and even go into Myanmar (Burma) if the border is open. The status of border crossings changes as the governments see fit. Thailand is one of my favorite countries. I've never been to Bali, probably going there this September, but at this time I can't comment too much on it. It you want more advice on Thailand however, let me know and I'll email you or post on the forum if you prefer.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 06:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry Tuchuzy, I just realized you are from Australia. The prices I quoted are in American dollars, which may make the Sofitel a bit pricey considering it will be almost double for you. Check around the web for discounts though and call Sofitel's toll free number, they may offer a deal.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:34 PM

hello again....hua hin is a basic resort and really quite small.. i need some lux and a/c which is reliable so we stay in places that are a bit upscale...we loved the marriott at hua hin--just the right size...great pool...the widest section of the beach...just far enough out of town--5 minute ride...10-15 minute walk...good food with variety and totally RELAXED...we looked at all the others and decided that we would return there again...the hyatt would be our second choice...you can eat cheaply in town...we had a great indian meal (Maha Raja) if you can believe it....the best meals we had were at LA MER which is south of town about 20 minutes just past the hyatt up on a hill overlooking the sea--a must 1400B for a fabulous meal with beers...

we like the marriott resort and spa in bangkok right on the river....not as expensive as some of the others with the best pool area in bangkok---did you say relaxation!!! we also like the penisula for luxuary and the jw marriott for shopping convenience on sukumvit

by the way there is a small mall attached to the marriott resort and there is good shopping and cheap and good food there---we like the thai restaurant on the first floor with the green awnigns---meal for 2 with beer $12-15 u.s......
we also like the tailor on the second floor of the mall for men and woemen's clothing--monet II...jack is the tailor....

shopping in general in bkk is fabulous but takes some time...lots of custom stuff...clothes, jewerly, home furnishings...

get the book: the treasurers and pleasurers of thailand--impact books i think...it will help with both bkk and CM....restaurants, hotels and all shopping

we prefer bkk over cm for shopping for everything except celedon ceramics, which are better in cm....

if you see something you like buy it as you may not see it elsewhere or the next day when you have decided to buy it...

for custom clothes start the trip off ordering them and return for a number of fittings...don't rush them...

we like JS Thai silk on the ground floor of the river city shopping center (just across from the info booth next to the escalator at the oriental hotel end of the building)...ask for ms yai...she is great and has good english...mostly ladies silk stuff but does men's shirts too...top quality and fabulous workmanship..
know what you want....bring pictures or a sample of the style so as not to be disappointed with the final products...

we find the wool available in thailand to be of not the best quality...bring some with you to have things made if your want wool stuff---plus it is very expensive....