Thailand or Bali ?

Mar 6th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thailand or Bali ?

I will be in China on business for about 6 weeks but I will have a 1 week break in the middle of the trip. I was trying to decide wheather to go to Thailand or to Bali for a little R&R that week. A few quick facts: I will be traveling alone, I'd like to stay in just one or two places (keep it simple), I need to watch my buget, I do not care to spend a week in a congested city but do not won't to lie on a beach all week either. I prefer small towns, local food, some history and some outdoor activity (swimming, walking, hiking, biking). If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear from you. Thanks
Highlander
Mar 7th, 2005, 05:03 AM

Either would be great. If you do Thailand, I'd divide it between a few days in Bangkok -- stay on the river and you won't notice the congestion so much-- and then go to Northern Thailand where you can get plenty of R and R and see some wonderful sights and experience a wonderful culture.

If it's Bali, spend a few days at a resort on a beach and the rest of the time in Ubud.

Personally, I think Thailand is an easier place to be alone.
Mar 7th, 2005, 07:29 AM

What time of year is the trip? The Bangkok area is quite rainy from August through early November (and the Phuket side is rainy from May through October) Baliís rainy season is late November through early March. This would make a difference in your enjoyment of each place, esp as you like out door activities. Both countries have an interesting and different culture, great food and friendly people. You could not go wrong with either, take a look at weatherbase.com and worldclimate.com for weather info and let that help you make a decision.

I think Bali has the edge for a sports vacation like biking, hiking, kayaking etc as you can get easy access to these activities. You would not find them in Bangkok, although probably could find some in the Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai area, although I have to say I have not tried to do that type of holiday in Thailand for more than 10 years so maybe things have changed. You might try the Hua Hin area on the coast about 2 hours south of Bangkok where you could have a mix of beach and then hiking/biking in the national park areas.

I have travelled alone in both and can say either would be fine, but I think Bali would be a better place for you given the things you mention you like to do. From the Ubud area, you can tour from small village to small village on bike or on foot for several hours each day. You could also do the same in the beach areas, esp the north-eastern coast areas. This is harder to do in Thailand.

Mar 7th, 2005, 07:36 AM

I agree a choice between Bali, perhaps Ubud or a quieter part of Thailand. Hua Hin area might suite as a few hours by cab from BKK Airport but go beyond the main town. 5 minutes only out of Hua hin and you have a quiet coastline, Khao Takiab Beach and Bay and onwards another 15 mins to Pak Nam Pran and pranburi and then Dolphin Bay. Some small great resorts and spas in this area, Dolphin Bay resort is about $25 a night a/c. In this area are flatlands great for biking and hiking, also wetlands with boarwalks into the marshes for birdwatching, sleepy coast but great Thai seafood, but not so remote that you have to forget creature comforts.
Mar 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Here's a link for Khao Takiab Bay at the very south part of Hua hin:
http://www.balithai.20m.com

although this is very close to Hua Hin ( 10 minutes ) it has then the convenience of being near restaurants shopping etc. If you want something quieter we stayed just recently at Dolphin Bay which is in the Sam Roi Yot National patk ( 40 mins beyond Hua Hin )

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/hu...nbay/pictures/

The other choice is perhaps somewhere like Mae Hong Son in Northern Thailand, cool, perhaps Fern resort, this is relaxation jungle style, well, sort of.
Mar 7th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I also suggest Bali as it will be one destination with all the activities you mention. Within the island of Bali, you can see and do many things with minimal driving. I think a few days at Ubud (forest/mountain) region and a few days at the southern beach region would be great. Ubud is about 1 hour away from the southern beach region. For more information on my trip to Bali, you can just click on my screen name.
Mar 7th, 2005, 10:03 PM

Where in China wil you be? Think you should look into flight connections before you decide.
Mar 7th, 2005, 10:24 PM

Good point checking flightwise, at the moment you can fly from about 12+ cities in China non stop into BKK, also from Kunming and Jinghong to Chiang Mai, there were also Xi An flights to Chiang Mai but not sure, guessing you would be flying from Beijin, Shanghai or Guanzhou, lots of daily flights.