Thailand it is!

Search

Thailand it is!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand it is!

To all of those who replied in my "Thailand or Bali?" forum, thank-you so much. I have decided on Thailand for the month of August. However I am a relatively inexperienced solo traveller so I need some advice. I do have awhile to plan ahead, but I don't know where to start. I don't even know decent sites for looking for cheap flights (from Canada). So are there some good forums or websites (besides this one) I should be checking out, in regards to travel in Thailand? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signed, Thailand Newbie from Canada!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:44 AM

Start from the beginning, where are you flying from? Toronto and vancounver both have Asia bound flights, tell us where you will start your trip from first and then can go on from there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Well Edmonton to Vancouver I guess.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM

You picked a great place! Don't fret being solo - Thailand has an advanced and manageable tourist infrastructure. You will also meet many fellow travelers there who will be helpful in getting about. Leave space in your itenerary so that you can take advantage of advice that you receive and don't plan out every minute.

I know Cathay Pacific flies out of Vancouver - we took them this past year to BKK via that city. I can't speak to cost as we used miles. Also, look into consolidators for your ticket. I've used these in the past to other destinations with great discounts. And, check your local paper when the travel section comes out - you can sometimes find nice bargains.

Last piece of (unsolicited) advice. Thailand is a big country with a lot to offer. Don't confine yourself to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and the popular island resorts. Don't get me wrong - these places are excellent and popular for good reason - just that I didn't feel like I was in the Thailand I had conjured up in my mind until I got off the beaten path. For me, it was places in the Isan province and down in Ao Phang-Nga where I got to spend time with locals not associated with the tourism industry. But, these places are all over the country, so seek them out. Have a great trip!

Regards, Bruce
Thailand Travel Photos -- http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...level2_all.htm
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 01:19 PM

There should be lots of Asian-run travel agencies in Edmonton. They can get you good airfares.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 01:47 PM

We got the best rates from Air Canada and we're flying from Boston. This is during Christmas, so all the rates were inflated. During August, you should be able to get a much cheaper flight. With a month "in country", I completely agree with Bruce. You'll have plenty of time to see the out-of-the-way places off the tourist track.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 01:48 PM

I should get that sorted first, I believe Eva Air also flies from Vancouver.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Any great Thailand websites or forums I should be checking out? Catered to backpackers?
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:13 PM

The Lonely Planet's board the Thorntree is oriented toward backpackers: http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:15 PM

All major Asian airlines serve Bangkok and Vancouver, so you have a long list of airlines to choose from:

Cathay Pacific (via Hong Kong)
China Airlines and EVA (via Taipei)
Korean Air and Asiana (via Seoul)
JAL and ANA (via Tokyo & Osaka)
and I'm not including other possibilies like Manila, Beijing, Shanghai, etc...

In addition, Air Canada and Thai Airways are both Star Alliance members and they codeshare on various flights, so you can fly AC to one of its Asian destination and connect to Thai.

Now, the question is where to buy the ticket. First, August is still 4 months away, and AC or most airlines won't post their cheap fares on the web right now. You'll find prices close to C$2,000 from YEG. But many tickets to Asia are still sold the old way - via consolidators. They purchase big blocks of tickets from the airlines and resell them to travel agents. That's why I tell you to visit an Asian-run TA in Edmonton, or any TA that specializes in Asian travel. They can get the tickets from the consolidators now, at a much lower price than the published fare you may find on the web right now.

A travel agent can also look for seperate tickets from Canada to Hong Kong, and HKG-BKK. YVR-HKG is never too expensive, and HKG-BKK is super cheap now with new low-fare competitors.

Keep in mind that if you do a search on the web for cheap ticket agents, you will find many many names. Most of them are valid agents, but the ones with the really low fares still need get fares from the consolidators (or they are consolidators themselves), and these bookings are usually not "real-time". You may see a fare, but after you punch in all your credit card information, they'll tell you to wait and they'll get back with you with 24 hours or something like that. I'd rather just go to an agent in Edmonto instead of all that hassle.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM

I am from Edmonton....For airfare's try trekescapes.com. There is an office in Edmonton on the south side..Also try chinapac.com and toureast.ca..I have used them all..They all have good airfares and are reliable....Singapore Airlines/Cathay Pacific, etc. You should be able to get a ticket for CAD $1200.00...Any other questions, let me know..
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Wow thanks for all the suggestions! Tracy is that $1200 CND from Edm to BKK?
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:24 PM

Personaly I would stick these this site as we are all pretty nice people. I have found in the past you can get some strange or weird ideas from 'certain' other forums. We are a pretty friendly bunch and in all seriouseness I believe almost everyone gives fair and honest comments. We are also lucky to have people who know particular areas. Many regulars are knowledgabel for certain areas of Thailand, and I think we stick to 'travel' and avoid politics and other non relevant subjects, so, please stay and see how well we do!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:25 PM

You see, already a hometowner to help you with flights. Take a look at past messages you will find lots of ideas, some of us here actually live in Thailand.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:28 PM

Sorry, that didn't come out right ( been working all night long! ).. some of use live in Thailand and others are expert travellers around the country with good indepth knowledge.
Once you've got main flights sorted you have to tell us your likes and dislikes, you budget is not really' budget' so you will still have comfort.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:56 PM

get that flight and then come back to us with as many questions as you can dig up
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:58 PM

i also said that wrong....get a line on a flight with some sort of agent...then start the planning and for this we can help...you need a good guide book or two to assist as well....amazon has tons that are used for a song...then come back to us after some reading...guidebooks are much better than most travel web-sites because they are mostly sponsored by some group... i don't mean sites like this, but i mean the commercail sites
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys/gals! I can already tell this site is going to be my best online resource. Once I book my flight the questions will be pouring!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:58 PM

It might be a little more in August than $1200.00 (Canadian), but it won't be more than $1500.00...I actually just got a quote about 6 weeks ago from Trek Escapes from Edmonton into Hanoi and back from BKK and it was under $1500.00 (with Cathay Pacific)...Give them a call...439-0024...I actually am booking a flight with them within the next month..Edmonton to South India return with a stopover in Dubai for under 1700.00..which is pretty good..
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:11 AM

I would be a bit careful of the Lonely Plant thorntree site. If I recall your budget is $2,500 for the month which means you can spend more than $5 or $10 for a hotel. Many of the Lonely Planet posters are people who are looking for a lot of the bars, nightlife etc and are men -- not young women traveling alone. They can give you some good ideas about things to see but I would be careful about using their hotel suggestions. I have friends who recently took their advice and were sorry -- they could have stayed in MUCH nicer places for the same amount of money.

As for flights -- I would start with Cathay Pacific since it is an excellent airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -