Search

Please help with a Honeymoon Hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:56 AM
tod
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with a Honeymoon Hotel in Hong Kong

I'm a newbie to the Asia Board and am hoping to get the same kind of fantastic help as I do on the Europe Board!
I love Paris but my son in his wisdom has decided to take his bride to Singapore & Hong Kong for the honeymoon.
We have good friends in Singapore and have been there several times but only once to Hong Kong. We hated the hotel the Travel Agent choose in Nathan Street ( very near the Bird Market alley) so PLEASE help me find a really fantastic honeymoon hotel for them - seeing dad is paying for it!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:21 AM

I will just say this. If I'm on a honeymoon to Hong Kong, then I'll definitely get a harborview room at the InterContinental.

There may be better rooms at the Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental or Four Seasons, but nothing beats the view from the IC.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:45 AM

No doubt, the IC has fabulous views. I loved the Harbor view rooms at the Shangri-La. They are supposed to be some of the larest rooms in Hong Kong. But have they finished the construction in that area?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM

To my mind, the Intercontinental's location has the greatest allure because of the proximity to the harbor, but I have stayed at a much more economical property so can only comment on the public areas of the best hotels.

How would those of you who know the 5-star properties compare a high-floor room at the Peninsula (with views way above the bulky Cultural Center) to a harbor-view room at the IC?

Also, when the does the Mandarin Oriental reopen?

This is a delightful question. One part of answering consientiously is to ask where the young couple are staying in Singapore. What is their ideal ambiance? Would they like something similar in their choice of a Hong Kong hotel or a different experience?

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:26 AM

rkk gives fantastic info on HK...i would go with this suggestion....any of the top HK hotels would be very nice however
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:48 AM

He gives exceptional advice but I'm still hoping that he or someone else knowledgeable
addresses the question of harbor-view Peninsula rooms v. harbor-view Intercontinental rooms.

Having spent a month right next door to the Pen and across from the IC, I am very curious, not to mention hopeful of a hotel upgrade when my husband and I eventually go to HK without the children. (There's a selfish dimension to this as well as a principled concern for the honeymooners' best interest.)

Photos of the Peninsula rooms look lovely -- even candid photos -- amd the hotel has a certain appeal based on its history.

Of course, I still think it will be instructive to know what they selected in Singapore where they know the terrain.

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:56 AM

I agree that a lot of the decision depends on what the couple likes. If they love the old world ambience of grand old hotels, then the Pen is unbeatable. If they prefer more modern hotels and decor, then the IC or the Shangri-La or another place might be better for them.

Yes, do tell us where they are staying in Singapore.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:07 AM
tod
Original Poster

Wow you guys are good! Thanks so much for the input so far.
This is the deal:
South African Airways does not fly to Singapore, so because they have FF miles for Business Class they must fly to Hong Kong and connect back to Singapore(probably with Singapore Airlines).
The hotels in suggested sound fab!
Can I just ask if anyone has stayed at Disney Hong Kong?

Singapore:
We always stay at the Crowne Plaza on Scotts because our dear friends organise a 'In house promotion deal'
which is a fraction of the normal rate.
After a week we then re-locate to the Shangrila Rasa Sentosa for a relaxing time before the flight home.
My son & his wife will have to fly back to Hong Kong to pick up their return flight so want to stay thre nights there before flying home.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:16 AM

We stayed at a harbor view room at the Intercontinental and loved it. We had a patio with French doors and could watch the nightly fireworks from it. The view is wonderful!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Tod: For Hong Kong, do you have a budget? It is more helpful to give reccos with a budget in mind. Also how many nights and when is the honeymoon, that might alter reccos slightly.

I agree that a harbour view room at the Intercontinenatl hotel would be lovely. Also, a room on a high floor at the Peninsula (or even better one of their corner suites) will give you just as excellent a view (and the suite comes with its own telescope). I would actually prefer one of those rooms to the IC since the management of the IC changed from Regent. Both these hotels are fairly expensive, take a look at http://www.ichotelsgroup.com
and http://hongkong.peninsula.com
for ideas of prices. In the more budget range and the same view, try the Salisbury YMCA, go to www.ymca-hotels.com. Despite being a YMCA, it is quite nice and is very popular on this board and is usually totally booked. Get a harbour view room and the largest you can afford.

While the views are admittedly not as good, I am a growing fan of the Four Seasons just because it is so beautiful, the rooms are huge, it has great restaurants and spa, an excellent pool area, and it so walk able to many of the good fun restaurant areas on Hong Kong. Worth a look. Fourseasons.com

Otherwise, without a budget, it is hard to recommend. Note that there are TWO Shangri-La hotels in Hong Kong, the one the posters above are referring to is the Kowloon Shangri-La. Take a look at www.shangri-la.com for an idea of those prices.

I would not stay at Disney for several reasons (i) is it too far out IMO from Hong Kong itself, (ii) there are no city views (in fact part of the view is of a local power plant although the rest are of the outlying islands and is quite pretty), and (iii) the two hotels there are quite average from what I have heard and would not really be the honeymoon-type of hotel.

Maya, the Mandarin Oriental re-opens in October or thereabout. They are supposedly taking reservations for late September, but when you go by the hotel now you can hardly believe they will be ready to take guests in 3-4 weeks. However, if it is open for the honeymooners it would be a very good choice, I think the re-do is going to be quite spectacular. Go to mandarin-oriental.com

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 08:22 AM
tod
Original Poster

cicerone - thank you for that incredible input! Budget? Well, our exchange rate is absolutely horrific - Rands to Dollars (Sing/Hkg/US) so we are thinking around R2,000 per night max. (I will have to convert that later when I check out those hotels you gave me.)

The hotel booking will be for June 2007 but they are keen to get the airline/hotels etc. out of the way a.s.a.p. The wedding arrangements can then be finalised and we can all relax!

Marija - the Intercontinental does sound perfect and I will give it a close look!
Thanks again everyone.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 09:04 AM

2,000Rand is about 2,100 HKD. It may not get you the InterContinental or Peninsula. But perhaps a harborview room at the Sheraton or the Macro Polo Hong Kong Hotel.