Thailand in Sept

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand in Sept

My husband, 22 yr old daughter and I are traveling to Thailand in early Sept to visit my 20 year old there for a semester abroad. We plan on seeing Chiang Mai while she is in class. We have decided on Baan Orapin from the many posts i have read. It will be a bit different than the big hotels and beach resorts. We then go to Phuket as a family. Looking for recommendations for a resort/hotel that is up to date and not too isolated (though I do not want to be in a busy touristy town). Also any suggestions on hotels in Bangkok. Thanks for any help!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:20 PM

Have you considered Khao Lak? An hour or so from Phuket Airport, not a huge touristy town like Patong, resorts for all budgets, some quite private, but never more than 20 minutes from the town. Great beach and great seashells. We were there in January 2006, and since then many more places have opened. www.khaolakovers.com is packed with info and photos.

Also, not sure what you are looking for, but in terms of weather, Samui might be better, as September has the highest average rainfall for the year in September. http://thailandforvisitors.com/south/phukvsam.html

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:03 AM

for bkk, there are many possibilities, but my first choice is always the marriott resort and spa on the river or any of the other hotels along the river...the girls would especially love the pool there...iots the best one in bkk...

a serviced apartment with two bedrooms might also work well for you...the centre point group has several all around the city....the ascott group also has several...emporium suites is another with a great location and easy skytrain access
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM

Take a look at the Kata Thani for your Phuket visit. It's on a quieter stretch of beach (Kata Noi) but is near enough to the busier areas that it is no problem to grab a taxi or tuk tuk (tsongtau) to find more things to do.

I have photos of a couple of places on Phuket in my photo album. Visit cjscollection.com and click on the left side of the page (photo albums). Select the Asia album and have a look. I think Phuket starts at about photo #45...roughly.

Carol
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:55 AM

Oh, you'll also find photos of hotels and serviced apartments in that Asia album.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:28 AM

We are going to Thailand for 2 wks over xmas break and have no idea on where to go! Anyone have an itinerary for 2 wks? We like to stay away from the crowds if possible. Should we book our rms in advance? Suggestions welcomed. Thanks!!!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Now you have me thinking of Koh Samui because of the rainfall - but is it easy to get to? I know Phuket has the airport right there. I would like to go directly from Chiang Mai and my daughter from Bangkok. So hard to make a decision!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Bangkok Air is the only airline that flies into Koh Samui. (It owns the airport.) There are frequent flights from Bangkok. I don't know whether they have a non-stop from Chiang Mai or not.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:30 AM

jbean
It varies year to year, amount of rain, number of rainy days / hours of sunshine etc, but as a rough idea:

Rainfall stats: Sep

Bangkok 12.6
Chiang Mai 9.9
Mae Hong Son 7.8

Gulf of Thailand areabr />
Koh Samui / Koh Tao / Phangan 7.5
Pattaya / Jomtien / Koh Chang 5.5
Hua Hin / Cha Am / Pranburi 5.4

South Phuket/Krabi area

Phuket 16.5
There is one flight per day non stop from Chiang Mai to Phuket with Thai, 2 hrs flight. Otherwise connect via Bangkok. Bangkok Airways also connection CM-Bangkok-Samui.
Bangkok Airways also flys to Trat for Koh Chang but you would have to check if they have a 'connection' from Chiang Mai. There are quiet beaches on and around Phuket.

"not want to be in a busy touristy town" / "not too isolated", that could be a quieter beach area on Samui or perhaps Koh Chang, or perhaps the mainland beaches south of Bangkok where you just cab from Bangkok in a few hours.

If I read correct you have a daughter 'already in Bangkok' ? - If so it seems the beach trip would be a "treat" for her so perhaps ask where she would prefer ?
It seems this is the case, I would ask her where she would like to go.

beshug - over Xmas you must book well in advance, tell us what sort of things you want to see and do, city/culture/nature/beach/snorkeling/ just relaxing/shopping etc

Do you want to go place to place or stay same are? etc
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info - this is great website. I have made the decision to go to Phuket since my 'Thai' daughter will be going to the other island. If it rains, it rains. Now I have narrowed it down to Kata or Karon beaches. Any suggestions on places to stay - would need a pool and air conditioning. Thanks again.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM

The hotels at Karon are across the road from the beach, except the Karon beach resort and a little bit of access from Marina at the far south and steep access from central at far north, what is your price range ?
Old Phuket low season is cheap, short walk to beach, restaurants etc nearby, a deluxe twin with brekfast about USD 40, rooms with jacuzzi on balcony about USD 55, a 2 bedroom family suite about 90, there are lots of other places, in high season those rates are twice as much at least.

South Sea Resort at Kata is also something in the similar price range.

It comes down your budget as it could open up a lot of very good places as the rates are so low then. Do note that you probably won't be able to swim as many days even if it looks ok the rad flags fly due to the dangerous undercurrents, so good pool is needed.

Karon beach resort is right on the beach with good pool, that time of year would be cheap.

Perhaps worth thinking about a splace with a good spa and more facilities in case of heavy rain.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Precisely why I want a place with pool and not far from something to do if it rains. Price range around 100 USD - if I have to get 2 rooms - or a family suite for around 200. I thought Old Puket Town would not be as much of a resort. I realize swimming in the ocean is not going to happen - but a pool will do with a view of the ocean! I'll check out your recommendations - it's overwhelming at times to pick a place so many miles away!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 02:37 AM

We stayed at the Old Phuket Hotel in November. It was quite pleasant, but definitely not a resort. The pool is small. Activities center on the beach. The Meridien Beach Resort, north of Karon and south of Patong is very nice with a great pool. If possible, I would skip Phuket in Sept. and try another beach.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 02:45 AM

This of course is the thing, if you go back and check those rainfall stats you will see the huge difference in rainfall between the south area around Phuket and the other beach/island areas around the Gulf.
I lived on Phuket for several years and although you can get lucky and have solid sunshine, not so lucky and have some rain, you can also get tropical storms that deposit mess on the beaches, waves and undercurrents so you can't swim and although not so much at Kata or Karon other areas floods, so you really do take a chance.
Is there any reason why the likes of Samui / Koh Chang and others do not appeal ?
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 02:53 AM

September Karon Beach resort would probably be in the 95 region per room, so that would be in your budget, but very much a beach hotel, Le Meridien far more of a resort, that you can just scrape in at about 110 with tax, service and breakfast. But that is very very much more a resort and if it does pour down you 'can' pretty much spend the time there.
Le Meridien also has a stay 7 nights pay 6 night deal available on Phuket Luxury Hotels. Lots of different restaurants.

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...uket/meridien/

so that works out something like 95-100 a night, if you 'can' manage that price, and it must be September, then Le meridien i a good deal, even in March which is not peak season it is double that!

The Old Phuket is if you need to down budget, it's a rooftop pool.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Alright - I am slowly being convinced that Phuket might be quite wet in early Sept. I had never considered Koh Chang - how would you get there: bus or drive? I was avoiding Koh Samui because my daugher that is staying in Bkk is going there with the group - but then again, it would not be the same as with family. That also looked like it would take a bit to get there - flight to mainland and then ferry. I did not want to spend all day traveling. We will be coming from Chiang Mai - but we can go to BKK and then go out from there. So what about either Koh Chang or Samui - recommnedations - again with a pool and near some activites but not in the middle of 'honky-tonky tourist' area? thanks for all the responses - it has been enlightening
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Isn't Koh Chang supposed to be quite wet in September? I, too, will be in Thailand this September and am searching for a beach destination. Last September, I was on Samui and Phangan - it was great. I am hoping to change it up a bit this year and venture somewhere else, but I only have a couple of days before I head out to Cambodia. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

So where did you stay in Samui last September? Did it rain much? Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:42 AM

Stayed at the Baan Haad Ngam - www.baanhaadngam. It was excellent - I highly recommend it. Location-wise, it is perfect. It sits on the north end of Chaweng Beach, where it is a bit more quiet, but you are still close to the action. Samui overall is a bit touristy but it is still a great place. No rainfall last September, it was perfect. I may end up back there this September.