Thailand in March

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand in March

Hi everyone,

My husband and I wanted to stop in Thailand for a week before proceeding to India to visit his family. We found great airfare on Thai Airways that goes from NYC-BKK-Phuket-India-NYC and I was wondering if some of you could help me out

1. What will the weather be like in March. I know that it starts to rain in Phuket in April but will the beginning of March be ok?

2. Has anyone stayed at the Hilton in Phuket? We have Hilton Honors points and wanted to use them. Is it worth it or should we book on our own? I am willing to spend upto $300 a night. We are not interested in alot of partying..we want a romantic isolated beachy place (mainly for couples) but also able to sightsee during the day. Amanpuri sounds lovely but too out of my budget..$900 is too much for us.

3. What hotel to you recommend for Bangkok? I really want to stay in a stunner with gorgeous views(there is a river right?). We have hilton points so we can stay at the Bangkok Hilton for free..but I am willing to spend here as well. Thailand has been so economical lately and I want to take advantage of it. If I can get a gorgeous 5 star room for 200 I would rather do that than use my Hilton points.

3. Is 2 days in Bangkok enough to get a feeling for the city? And is 5 days enough in Phuket? Do you think we should opt for Krabi or some other place instead of Phuket?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:29 AM

The Hilton Phuket is 'not' on the bach, it is a large place popular for conferences etc, it is across the road from the Karon beach, weatherwise March should be just fine. If you wanted quiet romantic places right on the beach that is relatively quiet yet with easy walking access to restaurants sound like Mon Tri's might be the kind of places you are looking for:
http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...house/details/

Another lovely place is Thavorn beach Village, in March they do a stay 9 nights pay for 7 deal, Ocean View about $ 150, Pool terrance top level room about $ 195, this is in a very quiet area but it is ideal for couples and popular for honeymooners as very romantic, although quiet you are 15 minutes from busy Patong with street stalls and night markets, shopping, huge array of good restaurants, tours operate from 'all' hotels and the tours collect you from your hotel/resort and return you, it's a nice location if you want quiet beachy places for a couple:

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...llage/details/

$ 99 a night gets you a seaview bungalow at the 'sister property' Thavorn beach Bungalow, much more basic accommodation but romantic

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...beach/details/

Those prices as a guide include tax/service/breakfast

You can see others on www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com, lots of choice, but from your criteria I would think about Mom Tri's or the Thavorn Village, they are both quite different, seeing the photos you can see the difference.

Before others suggest you might perhaps like a River view room at the Marriott Resort in Bangkok, river view around the $ 150 Junior Suite around $ 185 should be. The Royal orchid Sheraton should be about $ 155 for river view up to about $220 for a Tower deluxe river view.
You will get lots more ideas for Bangkok, but I think those Phuket ones will be what you are after.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Bangkok is an amazing city and there is lots to do and experience. I'd say two days isn't enough. I'd suggest that your first stop in Thailand be Phuket, so you'll spend time at the beach recovering from your jetlag. The spend at least 3-4 days in Bangkok.

On Phuket, I expect you'll just want to relax and enjoy being at the beach. In Bangkok you'll want to get out and explore the city, at a minimum: visit wats, the Jim Thompsonn House, eat fabulous Thai food and shop. Stay someplace on the river. If you want stunning modern, opt for the Pen. If you want stunning traditional opt for the Oriental.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:57 AM

use some hilton points for the conrad hotel in bangkok...great location, great hotel...there is a new hilton on the river but it is not open yet...

what price did you get for thai air?? if you care to share...

you can get a cheap room in the bkk hilton if their time fits with you...remember they are slow to open..
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:14 AM

We used: http://www.amazing-thailand.com/Climate.html to estimate temps for clothing. That having said, it was rainy and cold for our 2 1/2 weeks in TL last December. Had to buy knit caps, etc. while we were in northern TL.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your amazing help!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi rhkkmk

Sorry I didnt respond to your query. I got Premier class tickets thru a special promotion on Thai Airways..NYC-BKK-Phuket-BKK-MAA(India)-NYC..for 3700 dollars including taxes. I upgraded for the NYC-BKK and BKK-NYC sector because hubby and I didnt want to spend 17 hours in coach..and the Premier class looks nice..I booked thru Thai direct as travel agents were charging a bit more.Take care!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:53 AM

If you want a "stunner" in Bangkok, for your hotel, then try either the Penninsula or the Oriental. I prefer the Penn.

On Phuket, you will get amazing serice and privacy at Mom Tri's Villa Royale. I've stayed in villas there twice. They are wonderful!! I also like the Katathani on Kata Noi beach, but if you want more private then this one will be too large. Take a look at my asia photos at cjscollection. Just click on the left side of the page on the PHOTO GALLERY name, and then select the Asia album. There are photos of both the Villa Royale and Katathani included in this album.

I would probably spend more of my time in Bangkok and less in Phuket. I'd do maybe 4/3 or even 5/2 nights. There is soooo much to see and do in BKK, you should not cut your time too much, imo.

Carol