Thailand Honeymoon in April...

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:42 PM
chas.

Thailand Honeymoon in April...

I am planning a honeymoon trip to Thailand for next April, and am trying to decide where to spend my time - the Chiang Mai area or the beach. Is the weather likely to be better at one or other. If the beaches - Phuket, Ko Samui or Krabi. Anyone stayed at the Regent near Chiang Mai? Its supposed to be quite nice. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:24 AM
sarah

The Regent near Chiang Mai is excellent, the Dusit also. Temperature tends to be lower in the north. Thai New Year is 12-14 April and this is the famous Songkran ( water festival ). I'd go for Samui for beach unless you want somewhere closer to Bangkok in which case I'd suggest Cha Am or Hua Hin.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 12:27 PM
Roger

Sarah is right on. Pass up Phuket...a honky tonk tourist trap. Samui or Phi Phi (access by boat out of Phuket) are the best. Go to www.planetholiday.com where you can make hotel reservations at a price you select. Three days in Chiang Mai is enough...so if time and money allows do both. Remember that April is in the middle of the HOT summer season in Thailand. ROGER

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 12:51 PM
Margaret

Chiang Mai for a few days then I'd personally head for Chaam/Hua Hin area, 2-3 hours by road from Bangkok, has the highest concentration of 'classy' type hotels, Sofitel Central ( just like Singapore's Raffles hotels but a quarter of the price ), Hyatt Regency, Marriot Resort, Regent Cha-Am, Dusit Resort and Polo Club etc.
Oh, just a 'tip'...always check 'normal rates' before going fr any hotel's hyped-up 'Honeymoon' Packages which offer wasteful extras such as flowers in the room, 1 free dinner or such like, you can often get a better deal booking internet rates and paying for extras, I know this from when friends booked a hotel in Malaysia as a Wedding Package and simply paid well over what they needed to, just a 'tip' worth remembering. www.asiatravel.com are well known as having excellent hotel sites for all Asia and excellent rates too, deffinately worth looking at their site for not just hotel but location ideas too. P.S..Congratulations!

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 02:34 PM
Steve

It's impossible to tell folks who one doesn't know what to do without knowing more about them. I've been to Thailand perhaps 15 times, and will be happy to share options if youtell me more. Looking for luxury or adventure? Solititude or "a hopping scene"? price an issue? like massages, or food, or elephant rides? mind sleeping on bamboo, if it means sharing opium with a toothless 80 y.o. villager in the morning?

Steve

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Terri

I couldn't disagree more with Roger. While the Patong area of Phuket is a tourist trap, there are many other gorgeous areas around the island. As for his suggestion of Phi Phi, I was there in January and it has turned into a complete dump. Tiny little area for swimming between boats. Film of fuel on the water and garbage in it. Even the nicest hotels there (I stayed at the Cabana) have lousy service and are not very clean. Lots of cheap dirty restaurants and bars for the thousands of backpackers. Huge disappointment and big change from the way it was 10 years ago.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 10:25 AM
AnnaC

Krabi is beautiful - or rather the beaches around Ao Nang. I would definitely recommend a stay there. Although it is quite touristy, it's nothing like Phuket (I'm told - I haven't been to Phuket myself). The tourists tend to be backpackers and the more adventurous package tourists - it's not quite yet reached the mass market like Phuket. The beaches are beautiful and there are several off shore islands also with stunning beaches. Travelling about is easiest by long-tail boat, which is so much more pleasant and relaxing than land transport. Some beaches are only accessible by boat. The boatmen are friendly and helpful - and very reliable (they need to be when they leave you on an island and arrange to pick you up later that day!)

Chiang Mai is also well worth a visit, but if it's down to one or the other, then it really depends on whether you are more interested in relaxing on a beach (Krabi), or seeing the sights and shopping (Chiang Mai).