Thailand for 2 weeks in February 2004t

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Thailand in February and would like advice. I plan to spend 3 days in Bangkok and stay either at the Royal Orchid or the Westin. Then I am flying to Chiang Mai where I will spend 2 nights at the Tamarind Village, then I'm getting a driver to go to the Angkhangk Nature Resort for 3 nights to do a little trekking. Then I plan to fly to Koh Samui for 6 nights. I'm planning to stay at the Samui Newstar Resort. Any suggestions on this itinerary or the hotels I've chosen would be greatly appreciate. Thanks.
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 08:08 AM

Just watch for Chinese New Year, I 'think' it's around 14-17th February but sure someone else can give exact dates. I would considor the Marriott in Bangkok. Newstar on Samui have not stayed, always we go to Peace resort.
To check flights and get some up to date reviews you can try kooloo.com
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 08:18 AM

You have to take great care when making rate deals with reception staff.
Story:-
Close friend of mine has a guesthouse and normally charges about B 950, we get a rate of B 750, it's a nice place. Having breakfast I was chatting with some British tourists who said they were going to stay longer as it was an absolute 'bargain' for B 450 a night ($11), I politely quieried if they were 'sure' that was the rate, they were. Anticipating a problem I told my friend who said they were certainly on B950 a night twin, turns out one of the tyourists 'negotiated' this B 450 deal with the night clerk/watchman using a mix of English and Thai, the night clerk spoke very little English. This tourist ranted and raved about being ripped-off even when shown clearly that the rate he was getting was half of their very miniumum price, he didn't care! He was annoyed but could not see that mentioning a price to someone who smiled and 'nodded' in return was not an agreement.
You really need to take care and ensure any rate is clearly written down on your check-in form, double check it clearly.
I also know of a group of tourists who ask for 'Three bottles of wine' for their group of 10, then refused to pay for it as they claimed they asked the waiter if they could have 'FREE bottles of wine'!!!!
They refused to pay the bill.

It works both ways I'm afraid to say.
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 08:19 AM

SORRY - This was a reply to the post about the HANOI hotel, don't know what happened!
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 02:46 PM

Chinese New Year is earlier this year. Not sure how it's handled elsewhere, but in Singapore the "official" holiday dates are Jan 22-23.
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 04:21 PM

Been said b4 on this but forum but I will repeat. In Bkk try to stay on the river. Is quite an exp. Have u booked Tamarind Village directly or thru an agent. Latter is normally best rates for that property at least (can testify as booked for this month). I think u could increase Bkk by a night and reduce KS - only 3 nights in Bkk incl the night u get in will give u little real time here ad this is an amazing city - unless u have been here b4.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Just back from 3 weeks on Samui. Don't know the hotel you mentioned, however we stayed at the Rocky Resort, just outside of Lamai, which was great. We used sawadee.com for all hotel bookings and everything went smoothly.

Leslie