Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Starwood promotions in Thailand; good deal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The link below seems to offer some good rates for SPG properties in Thailand. (For example, 3,150 at the ROS.)

Yet, it requires you to be a Starwood Privilege Thailand Member. That seems different from just a SPG member. While I think you can sign up for the membership, it may be that you also need to be a Thai resident. Does anyone know if that is the case? Thanks.

http://privilege.starwoodhotels.com/..._content.htm#4
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM

Well, it says in the fine print at the bottom
"Membership card and proof of Thai residency must be presented upon request."
Sounds like you need to be a resident.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM

tengo
I'm in BKK right now. I try to take a peek at the Bangkok Post or Nation when I can. I noted that there were pages and pages of special New Years Eve deals for Thailand residents ONLY. Some real bargains! The hotels were crying for people to come and occupy their rooms. January may be a bit busier, or at least some people think things will improve a little bit.

Carol
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:05 PM

kristina, you would not expect an attorney to EVER read the fine print...that costs more per hour...
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

The fine print is there only for those who think it means what it says. In other words, that language is more akin to a "first offer." Now, they are expecting a "counter offer." I think the rates can provide a traveler with a good idea of what to ask for in terms of obtainable room rates.

Now I gotta check weather patterns for August . . .
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 03:57 AM

We have found Le Meridien Khao Lak immovable on pricing to date but I have emailed them again having had a look at this - worth a try. We have otherwise found it cheaper to buy from a UK travel agent rather than any thai site - I think they bought the rooms whilst the £ was still strong.

For those looking for thai hotel deals, hilton.co.uk have a january sale on - up to 50% off - weekend stays only - use code P37JAS or click through on Jan sale feature.

Also Marriott have good deals if you are willing to pay in full 30 days in advance - use corporate code ADP - don't think deals include breakfast though.
BB