Search

thai itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:36 PM
mae
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thai itinerary

We have twelve nights in February, arriving in BKK late afternoon, staying for three nights (so will have two full days)--is this enough time for seeing the main temples/sites (I assume we can shop at night there a little), flying to CM and staying at the Four Seasons for five nights. Yes, this is long for CM but first, we have a friend there who we want to spend time with and also, I believe the Four Seasons is a spectacular resort and we plan on doing a good amount of relaxing here as well as the usual sightseeing.
Then we have four nights remaining, I was thinking of Chedi Phuket but am now wondering if we should add a day to BKK and do 3 nts on a beach instead? Also, a friend of ours just got back from Phuket and said the heat/humidity was so extreme that lying around on the beach was uncomfortable so I'm wondering if there is another island we would have more pleasant weather at now? (I thought this was the cool season though).
Ideas/thoughts are appreciated. we leave in a month and am trying to get everything solidified. thank you!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 03:59 PM

As u are getting a lot of "down time" in CM I would totally recommend u add a night to Bkk. Bkk is a fascinating city, lots to see and do. In terms of shopping CM is also very good and u know someone based there so do ensure u spend some of your 5 days shopping - in case u want shopping tips ask and I can also give u some based on what u want. Then u can spend time in Bkk absorbing the city and sightseeing with shopping being ancillary.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Sameera, We would love any shopping tips for Chiang Mai and Bangkok,since we will be there next month. Thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 04:02 AM

Pl tell me what you want to buy. Bkk a must do is Jim Thompson factory outlet at Sukhumvit Soi 93. U can either cab it or take the skytrain to On Nut and take a cab from there. Great Jim T end of range stuff at 50% discounts. Fantastic place to pick up gifts - cushion covers, table linen, t-shirts, silk kits/handbags/scarves, etc. Also great prices on upholstery fabric - bit far for u to carry tho perhaps. Chiang Mai baan Celadon if u like the stuff, even better tho than Baan Celadon is Premprachees. (May have spelling wrong). Lovely lifestyle stores near I think Amari Rincome - Tangata may be able to help with exact address. Studio naenna for textiles (have a website).
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 05:13 AM
sandi

mae -

Thailand is always hot and humid, and yes it was uncomfortable sitting on the beach in Phuket. After only 1-hr on the beach we left for the pool which was much more comfortable and where we could find trees. I understand that the humidity might not be as bad in February - but you'll be visiting probably the hottest place on earth in Thailand.

Though it is supposed to be cooler up North, we didn't necessarily find that to be so. We visited end-Oct/beg-Nov and wherever we were it was hot. Our vehicles were always airconditioned as were our hotels, so that compensated, but once outdoors, it's Hot!

Why not check one of the weather sites and see what they're indicating even right now for the areas you'll be visiting.

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 05:22 AM

I would add a day in BKK, there is so much to see and do.

We stayed at the Chedi December last year and loved it. It was not disgustingly hot on the beach. Also, the pool is just up a flight of stairs from the beach and easily accessible. Make sure you go to Phang Nga Bay to see the karsts. Try Seacanoe.com.