Thai Honeymoon

Search

Thai Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thai Honeymoon

After a few months of uncertainty, my fiance and I have have decided to spend our honeymoon in Thailand. Truth be told, we made our decision a while ago, but due to the political situation, we began to doubt our decision. Thanks to the news and the members here, we feel confident that we will have a great trip ahead of us. Our plan is two spend about 2 weeks in Thailand- 5 days in Phuket, 5 days in Chiang Mai, and 3 days in Bangkok. Now that we have the travel and hotel arrangements made, its time for the fun stuff- food and activities. Any advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated as we count down our days to our flight (and wedding!)
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 05:06 AM

i have a restaurant listing that i have compiled for bkk....if you want it let me know at [email protected]....

i personally would want less days in CM and more in bkk....
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 05:34 AM

You don't say where you are staying in any of the three locations, but while in Bangkok, you should plan to visit one of the rooftop bars/restaurants for a view in the evening. The air is fresher and the view is awesome with all the lights.

My own favorite is called Sky Bar. It is located close to the river in a building called State Tower. It is 64 floors up, outdoors, and fabulous. Rated among the top 10 most beautiful bars in the world (can't recall which magazine it was) a couple of years ago. You have to be dressed nicely to go there... no flip floppy sandals or backpacker looks. There is a dress code and it is enforced. Drinks are expensive so have only one and sip it slowly!

What type of food do you want to eat? Bangkok has it all. We eat Thai, Italian, Lebanese, American, you name it.

On Phuket, try out Mom Tri's Boathouse Grill and also Mom Tri's Kitchen. Both are excellent!!! The grill is located on Kata Beach at the Boathouse Resort. The kitchen is located in the Mom Tri's Villa Royale property which overlooks Kata Noi Beach. The kitchen is a more romantic place IMO, if that is what you want for an evening out.

I enjoy eating Thai in Chiang Mai. There are some good places that we've tried very recently. I'll have to find my travel journal for notes on names and locations!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 06:55 AM

On Phuket, take one of the day trips to Phang Nga Bay. Very enjoyable. Lots of outfits. John Grey, Seacanoe.net, etc.

In bamgkok, see the Grand palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Jim Thompson House, shopping at MBK, a Klong Tour and eat well.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 09:53 AM

If you are in Bangkok over a weekend, make sure you visit the hot, sweaty AWESOME weekend market (Chatuchak, or also called JJ Market). I have found some really great bargains there. They sell everything! (no a.cond. so it's pretty hot and crowded)
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 12:12 PM

If you go to the weekend market get there by Skytrain and then transfer to the subway for a one station ride. It puts you right inside the market. Otherwise if you just take the skytrain you have a hot sweaty walk to get to the market and you need to conserve as much energy as possible both getting to and from the market.

Check out the Calypso cabaret for great evening entertainment- ladyboy show! Go to their website to book seats.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Another thing about the weekend market - take a big shopping bag or better yet take one of those small suitcases with rollers that you would take on the plane. (what I saw on my last tipt to BKK were a lot of natives carrying what appears to be a large shopping bag that closes and is on wheels with a handle. Very handy item which you can purchase at a number of places in BKK) You will buy a lot and this will help you carry it all around the market. Beware of your valuables as the market is very crowded and pickpockets may be plying their trade. Have a security wallet under your shirt. Take cold bottled water with you as well.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 01:18 PM

take a boy like gpanda to carry your purchases
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 02:05 PM

You can rent a cart and the boy/girl that goes with it, for little or nothing (20-30 Baht), to haul all of your purchases to a waiting taxi! That's what my Thai friend Maeng and I always do. We will leave our (many) shopping bags with one vendor where we have spent a fair amount of Baht, and then go back there to collect it all, get our cart-person and off to the taxi stand we go. But yes, those rice bags on wheels look pretty handy as well.

I agree with taking the subway to the stop that is located INSIDE the market. The name of the stop is Kampaeng Phet. It is the NEXT stop after one with the name Chatuchak Park. Chatuchak Park station is the one that is connected to the skytrain station nearest the market. The closer you can get to the inside of the market, the less sticky you'll feel while shopping...haha That walk from the skytrain is crowded and typically moves slowly since everyone is trying to squeeze onto the same sidewalk.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Thailand is a wonderful place. You will have a great time on your honeymoon. I went to college in Philly, so I have an investment in your good trip. Have you given any thoughts to guides in Bangkok or Chiang Mai? Absolutely not necessary, but they will give you an opportunity to see more than you can on your own.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses! We are staying at the Banyan Tree in Phuket, the Chedi in Chiang Mai, and the Peninsula in Bangkok (put together by our travel agent). We are excited for a bit of relaxation in Phuket after the wedding before we start the "touristy" part of the honeymoon. In Chiang Mai, we have arranged for 2 one day tours. The first including Doi Suthep Temple, a Meo Hill Tribe Village The second one involves a day with the Elephants. We also have a tour of Grand Palace and Temple of Emerald Buddah in Bangkok. As far as food goes, we are good eaters, looking for a mix of upscale and local places. As long as the food the is good, we will try anything! Thanks again.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Do take advantage of RhkKmk's offer for his restaurant list. It's quite extensive, so I'll give you a few suggestions:

Harmonique-Take the Pen boat to the Oriental Hotel and walk up New Road. It's just before the post office on your left.

Gallery Cafe-take the Pen Boat to Taksin pier and the Royal Orchid Dheraton boat upto the ROS. Walk out of the lobby, go to your right, follow the road as it bends around to the left. It will be on your right before New Road.

Coconut palm-up near the Grand Palace

Biscotti-Italian restaurant at the Four Seasons.

Indian Buffet-at the Rembrandt Hotel. This is much better than one would expect for a buffet.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM

If you make your way to the Sukhumvit area (and you will do that if you want the Indian buffet that gpanda mentions), you might like having a Thai meal at a nice restaurant on Sukhumvit soi 8 (right at the base of the Nana skytrain station) at a place called Kinnaree. It is a Thai house that sits back from the narrow street (soi) on the left hand side, and down the soi a short but pleasant walk. Really nice place! Very peaceful. Good selection on the menu. You can dine inside or outside. We've never had a bad meal at this place!

If you get hungry for pizza, also located on Sukhumvit soi 8, there is Via Vai. We think they make the best pizza in BKK. We always eat there at least once, usually more than that, when staying in BKK. It's a very casual place.

Long Table (Sukhumvit soi 16) is about 25-30 floors up, in a building called Column Residence. You can dine in or outside. I think the outside tables in the bar area offer an exceptional view. Not nearly as expensive for 'dining with a view' as is the Sky Bar that I mentioned much earlier in this thread. I would not eat at the restaurant(s) by Sky Bar... way too expensive IMO. You pay a lot for that view and ambiance. Just do the cocktail, cold beer, wine, whatever... and sip it slowly... at SKY BAR. Eat somewhere other than the top of State Tower before having your cocktails... or do your cocktails at dusk and then dine somewhere else after enjoying that view from 64 floors up, at Sky Bar.

(I took a Thai friend to Sky Bar with me. She had never had occasion to go there before. Her comment was... "I did not know that my country is so beautiful!" I was really touched)
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice on Bangkok! We may need to extend our stay there to eat at all of the good places. Any advice on where to eat or what to do in Phuket and Chiang Mai? Also, there was a recommendation for a guide in Chiang Mai and BKK- could you please elaborate? Thank you again for your help!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 05:26 PM

many of us like tong in bkk....www.tourwithtong.com

she is fantastic...

sgt. kai is a favorite in CM....someone will chime in with his address...