Search

Thai cuisine

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Map from Canada

Thai cuisine

My husband and I are hoping to go to Bangkok towards the end of the year. The only problem we're facing is the cuisine there. My husband is on a strict medical diet that doesn't allow him to have any sugars or carbohydrates. I know alot of asian foods are very saucy, and that can pose a problem. He can have any fresh seafood, fruits or meats with a simple sauce like a butter garlic sauce. We understand that we may have to pay more to eat in a nice hotel restaurant given the limited choices we have. What are some of the experiences out there with the food in Thailand? Can we survive for two weeks with this dietary restriction? Thanks for everyone's help.

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:15 AM
May

you'll be able to get every kind of food in Bangkok, so there are lots of places with western food if you'll feel safer eating there.<BR>If you eat at street stalls (where you get the best food of all!) you can watch them cook your food so you can be sure of what's going into it. <BR>Maybe your husband's dr could help youwith a list of asian foods that are a no-go and hten you can be sure not to get it wrong.<BR>HOpe you have a great time!

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Sarah Rey

Someone else suggested an excellent tip on another forumBR>Get a list from your doctor and then head to a local Thai restaurant in your hometown, expalin to the head host and enjoy a meal, kindly ask if the Chef would be good enough to write in Thai a few dishes that will suit your diet plan, this gives you a chance to find out what dishes are ok 'before' you even arrive in Thailand. Sounds a brilliant tip to me!<BR>Good luck.

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Map from Canada

Thank you very much May and Sarah, these are excellent tips, and I never even thought checking with the local Thai restaurants.

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:27 AM
lisa

I don't think you will have a problem. All sorts of simple preparations of fish and seafood are available (and delicious). Also, many of the dishes (including meat dishes) are prepared with fruits (such as papaya and pineapple).

Old May 12th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Jan

Just got back from Bangkok. Food aren't that expensive even in hotel. We had a really good meal at similan restaurant in Siam Intercontinental Hotel for about&pound;25 (including alcohol). The food was to die for unfortunately it is closing in June/July. There are lots of choices.We really enjoyed the food. Loads of Japanese restaurants too.