Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thai beaches in August- Lively, cheap, easy transfer from Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and her boyfriend (young 20's) will have 7 days in Mid-August to visit Thailand.

They plan on 3 days in Bangkok (she was here in December) but want to go outside the city as well. They like the ocean, but as they are from Hawaii, want to have a selection of other sights- animals, hiking, nightlife.

They don't want to spend a huge amount of time getting there, as the time is so limited. In addition, they are on your typical college student's budget.

so...Is Hua hin too quiet? Ko Samet too far? Pattaya to wild?

Also, they arrive in BKK at 1:00 am, so would like to go straight to their destination. Do many planes/trains etc run all night?

I'm trying to plan my own Thai/India trip for the following week, so I'll post separately on that!

Thanks, Lucy
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Still trying to find a decent budget destination for these kids. I see that a bus to Hua Hin is only 180 baht or a cab is 1800. Would young people who are not really party types find this an interesting town?
Thanks again!!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Hua Hin is definitely not a party town. On the other hand, personally, I don't find any of the beach towns interesting.

There is enough there to keep them interested and occupied and the beach ranges from ok to good. It's an easy destination for a few days from Bangkok.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Samui (Chewang Beach) might be the best for your 20somethings. I don't know of flights there in the night though. I think they would have to go to Samui the next morning.

Chewang Buri is reasonable, not fancy. I have not stayed there, but it has been mentioned by people who go to Samui fairly regularly.

Carol
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:29 PM

If they are arriving at 1 am they can get a taxi straight to Hua Hin, at that time of night about 2 hrs should do it, the buses start sometime around 4 a.m and yes B 180 each.

Hua Hin is not a party town at all but there are probably 50+ beer bars with music etc that are fine for a drink etc. Sasi Bar is a new place near the Hyatt with live Jazz style band everynight, also Thai show at Sasi restaurant, Rockestra is a 'rumble-in-the-jungle' type place, rock band, loud, also disco pub at the Hilton, Star Planet also disco pub at the City Beach hotel.

Daytime can be elephant rides, horse riding, all terrain bike rides, national park tour, day trip to Bang Saphan to do snorkeling ( about 2 and a half hours from Hua Hin town ), also kite-surfing and things like that, carriage ride around temples, cycling, and just lazing by the beach or pool.

www.khao-takiab.com is a small site with photos of one of the Hua Hin beaches, Khao Takiab, the one we go to and we have a family budget of about USD 30-40 a night and it suits us, around 10 minutes into town by local bus ( about 20 cents US )If they want more lively Jomtien beach the other direction which they can also cab to at night, that is a quieter place close to ultra busy Pattaya, but Hua Hin is easy to get to and a good choice of budget accommodation, guesthouses from around USD 10 and up but about USD 30 for 2 gets them a nice place. also also www.huahinwhatson.com

I agree Samui would be a more fun destination but first flight is 6 am but the good thing is that is one of the USD 50 one way flights, August though is very packed on Samui especially this year.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:40 AM

If they are from Hawaii, why go to the beach? Why not check out Northern Thailand. Nothing too challenging, perhaps Chiang Mai? It is a big tourist centre but still has charm - and there's lots of day trip and hiking possibilities to get out into the country.

There are many flights - don't know how early the first one is. There is also the train - again don't know how early the first one is - but some stop at the airport station so if they wanted, and to save time, they needn't go into BKK at all. Thai railways have a web site; ditto bangkok airways - do a google.

And best of luck to them. Ko Samet is not too far - I did not go there from BKK but I returned there from the island and I reckon it took me about 5 hours. You could do it quicker if you went by tourist mini-van.

But on the whole, especially if I lived in Hawaii, I would skip the beach if I only had the time that they have. Another possibility is Kanchanaburi - as easy as easy can be to get to, with lots of options once you are there - check it out.

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips.

I wouldn't go to the beach either...I've found most to be a disappointment after living in Hawaii. The kids will be working in Honolulul all summer, then going back to school in NYC and India, so I guess theey want to get a tan!

In addition, my daughter will be back to Thailand in December for several weeks up north.

Besides, what can I say...I'm only the mom ;-p