"Thai AirAsia"

Search

"Thai AirAsia"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Thai AirAsia"

Looking at flights from BKK to Singapore and also BKK to Phnom Penh. Kayak shows the airline as Thai Air Asia. When redirected to the website, it is "Air Asia". Is this the Air Asia that so many here have used? I vaguely remember warnings about luggage.

My other option is JetStar Asia. Any one have feedback on them?

Both are about $170 RT bangkok to Singapore
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM

I flew Jet Star Asia to Singapore from here. New plane, nice flight, cheap price. I would recommend them.

I was told they are owned by Quantas.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 10:22 PM

We have flown both Jetstar and Air Asia...both are cut rate airlines...both are OK...need to be careful about luggage limits, understand the ever changing rules, but otherwise OK. We picked based on convenience of flight time and availability. We paid extra to get pre-assigned aisle seats.
Worked out nicely.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 10:26 PM

The airline Air Asia has designations for each country it services. So, flights can be operated from Thai Air Asia, Indonesia Air Asia, etc etc. the X flights are the long-haul routes. I fly them quite frequently and so far (cross my fingers) have no problems with them, other than luggage getting delayed and terrible food. And they don't accept all currencies for inflight drinks and snacks.

You should book your luggage online at least 24 hours prior to your flight...much cheaper than paying luggage at the airport.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 04:57 AM

Lucy...We use Air Asia all over the area. Bob books us ,for about $5 extra, to board first and then you can sit in the first few rows and don't have to be pushed with the rest of the cattle call... and they do push in line. We also up grade the luggage weight by 5 kg and have not had a problem, except for one time in Malaysia where the bargins were too good to leave. It didn't cost us that much extra .

We also found ,as with all air line, the Am and early PM flights tend to be more on time. We find as the day goes on there can be delays..
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:54 AM

also look at tiger air (having sale right now) for bkk-sin....
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 06:36 AM

I used Air Asia to fly from Singapore to Bangkok in January and found that the entire operation went very smoothly. I did pay extra to book a seat in the front of the plane (so it's not just early boarding, I was actually able to book a specific seat) and there were so few people who'd done so that I was able to move to an empty row of three seats (still in the first five rows, where flight attendants made sure that nobody who hadn't booked a reserved seat took one).

I also checked my bag (which I rarely do), as the weight limit was 7 kg. When general boarding was called, however, it was clear that there was exactly no attention being paid to carry on luggage limits: many, many people were boarding with bags that wouldn't have been permitted even on mainline U.S. carriers. A couple of them might have contained live chickens. I wouldn't rely on that being the case for your trip, of course.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 07:13 AM

A couple of other things to know about using Air Asia:

If you are booking back to back flights, Air Asia will not transfer your luggage even to another Air Asia flight, so make sure you have enough time between flights to pick up your luggage and check in for the next flight.

If you miss your Air Asia flight for any reason (including an Air Asia glitch) you have to buy a new ticket. And of course, the new ticket costs a lot more because you are buying it right before your flight.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Jetstar also did not offer a cancellation policy according to the travel agents in Vietnam last year. So if I had a choice like choosing between Vietnam Air which costs about 10 % more but one could change the date and use that tix within one year, I chose Vietnam Air.
According to my Malaysian friend who flies Air Asia several times a month, that Airline is reliable. I flew Air Asia Indonesia, Air Asia Thai and Air Asia Malaysia last year and experienced no problem whatsoever. The food on the plane was quite awful, so go early to the airport, check in the lugguage and do all the eating in the restaurants in the airport before you board. What Therese said is true, they don't check or weigh your carry on bag. I was stupid the first time as to tell the counter my bag was overweight so she had no choice but to impose a fine. Later I just kept quiet. I saw people carry many shopping bags with them and they didn't have to pay extra.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Air Asia left my flight (100+ pax?) in Singapore Airport overnight (10 hours) without any explanation and only one bowl of noodles
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:41 PM

how were the noodles?
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 08:07 PM

pretty awful
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 04:51 AM

I have just flown AirAsia from Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Phuke-Kuala Lumpur - Siem Reap - Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok and everything went smooth as a breeze.

The airport AirAsia uses in Malaysia is the Low Cost Terminal which has no frills whatsoever. But from an operational point of view, my experience was excellent
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 05:11 AM

Air Asia has a different company in each country