Terrific Bangkok guesthouse

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now we are staying at the Novotel Lotus in Bangkok, which is a bit of a treat for us after 2 and half months of slumming around India & a few weeks spent in Penang & Koh Samui recovering from India's climate highs & lows. More about that later.

I wanted to recommend a fabulous little guesthouse in Bangkok where we stayed for a few days on our arrival from Samui. It's called the New Siam 2. Check out www.newsiamguesthouse.com and it is clean, very comfortable, has a nice pool and for 750 baht a night for 2 people may be just the place for those fodorites who don't want to spend a fortune on accommodation. We will be back at New Siam 2 after a few weeks in Cambodia. Good luck & happy travels to all!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

I thought I should check their website & lo & behold the site does not come up! OK you can phone them on 66 02282 2795. Seems their two websites are faulty!
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 02:01 AM

I couldn't get to their website.
where is it located? good location?
thanks,
claudia.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 03:09 AM

Here's a link that works.
http://www.newsiam.net/ns/index.php
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:27 AM

lyndie....how do you compare it with your stays at the shangri-la??

has ratt put it on her "highly suggested" list??

speaking of ratt, will you be using her on this visit to bangkok??

have a good time and let us know how SR is...
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

The New Siam is close to the river in Banglamphu. No skytrain or subway but plenty of taxis. Sukhumvit is our fave place but New Siam's location runs a close fifth to the Shang! Only joking! It's a great find for those who are lousy, cheap of just plain smart! Seriously I would not give you a bum rap! O.K.

Gday, Bob you old stirrer you! Not going to SR only PP. Kampot & Snookyville. The shopping in PP is addictive to my old rugby playing partner! Have fun!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 04:43 AM

Have stayed at the New Siam next door many times and recommended it more than once on this forum.

So not news to me. Welcome, Lyndie, to the world of perfectly acceptable accommodation at budget prices.

Look forward to your tales of "slumming it" in India.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM

hi lyndie and fuzzyl; how was the noise level in and around the hotel?
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi there, all. The New Siam 2 is actually in a laneway off Phra Artit, a block from the New Siam. Did not like New Siam at all. New Siam 2 is very new & rooms are bright, quiet & comfortable with all amenties except a fridge.

fuzzy I am very well acquaited with budget accom so it's not new to us however when we find an exceptional place we feel compelled to tell others, especially here as many think you need to pay heaps for clean quiet accom in India & Asia which is just not true. Noise levels around the New Siam 2 are acceptable to two Aussies who live in the Hunter valley with lots of cows & horses making too much noise. New Siam 2 is in a quiet area. We stayed in room 4026 which is nicer than 4027 on the opposite side and captures the morning sun and sun all day for dryin cossies etc. I must also mention the Premier Inn, soi 20, sukhumvit for 900 baht inc bfast. Perfectly comfy accom similar to Super 8 in US. OK not the Shang or even Novotel Lotus but OK for a crash for a night or two. About 4 blocks to Asok BTS and Suda restaurant.

As for India, the best budget place we stayed was Hotel Renuka in Jaisalmer. 200 rupees per night (cold water only), magic beds, great food, helpful people. Also Hotel Garib Nawaz in 9 Chowringhee in Calcutta is an exceptional choice at 550 rupees per night. I will post a long & boring trip report when I have the time. Have fun all!