Teaching English in Asia

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Matthew

Teaching English in Asia

I am considering moving to Asia by the end of this month for a year, to teach English. Still deciding on the locale. I have gotten the best response from Korean schools and have heard great things. I have also considered Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and a few others. Any reccomended cities/areas in these countries??

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:07 PM
teacher

Three years back, an English teacher in Hong Kong told me that HK and Singapore paid the best. A friend of mine is teaching English in Hokkaido in Japan through an UCLA program. The pay is not that great, but good accommendation for free.
Matthew, would you mind telling me how you were able to contact any school in Asia? I am interested in it too. Thanks and good luck.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:28 PM
franklin

best country is in China!!!
more details upon request!

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 02:18 AM
Jen

I don't know much about this, but I'm going to guess that Singapore and HK are also the most expensive places to live (and Japan, of course). So you'd have to figure out your relative earnings if making the most money is important to you.

I have heard good and bad about Korea. Lots of scams, apparently. Have heard that your best bet is to show up there and negotiate, let the schools compete with their offers.

Have a friend in Taiwan, making really good money. She has a teaching degree, but says lots of people teach with her with just regular BAs or BScs. But she hates Taiwan.

I'm in Malaysia and I think you can only make decent money here if you have a teaching degree and teach at a college or international school. I looked into it when we first came here and it wasn't worth my time.

Sorry, not much help!

Jen

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Mike

Where you want to teach depends on what you are wanting out of the experience. In China, Thailand and Vietnam you do not make much $ but the experience is great and accomodations are typically provided. In Korea, Taiwan and Japan you can make much more $. Be careful of the outfit you go to work for as there are lots of dodgy employers. If you really wanting to teach go check out Dave's ESL cafe website. They have job postings and recommendations both good and bad of where others have taught.