Tapestries in Bangkok?

Oct 6th, 2003, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Tapestries in Bangkok?

Does anyone know some places in Bangkok where I can buy some nice tapestries for hanging on the wall????
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:31 AM

you will find them at all the tourist spots....silk hangings mostly
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

rhkkmk:
Do they carry large ones- say 5 ft. wide by 8 ft long? We have a large wall that we want to cover. I'm assuming we bargain agressively on these if they are in the markets????
Oct 6th, 2003, 03:01 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by tapestries. There are lovely silk weavings that come mostly from Cambodia and Laos, but are not that large. There are also fabric (and glass and sequined) wall hangings that come from Northern Thailand. They have three dimensional (high relief) features with embriodery and the sequins and glass beads - they can be stunning. The older ones have metal sequins, and are generally of better quality. They can be very large.
Oct 6th, 2003, 06:20 PM

What Kathie is referring to is a Kalaga, they are Burmese in origin although some are made in the border areas of Thailand. They range from quite gaudy to surprisingly lovely, so you must shop around.

Be very careful if someone tells you that they have an antique Kalaga; they are very rare and extremely expensive.

In theory the front covering of the raised portion should be stitched around the stuffing and not stuffed through a slit in the backing fabric. As almost all Kalaga's have a third layer it is very difficult to tell if this is the case, without removing the backmost layer. if you are buying an expensive one you should insist that this is done.

We have two, one purchased in Thailand and one in Burma, they are about three foot square and cost around 1,000 Baht, although we bought them some time ago.

Framing them cost more than they did!
Oct 6th, 2003, 07:10 PM

yes, like most everything you purchase in thailand some bargaining is required....it is very gentlemanly and they really want to make every sale possible...

the pieces mentioned above are in part what i was referring to but i have also seen numerous embrodiered silk pieces as well as printed silk pieces...

anything claiming to be antique is automatically suspect, unless it is from one of the very reputable delers, say in river city and even then i would question it....i did not think however that you were referring to antique things???
may is suggest that you do not go with anything etched in your mind as surely you will not be able to find it.....have an open mind and do lots of looking....buy when you see the right thing as my experience says it will not be there when you return for it later...

also carry it, don't ship it, if at all possible...