electricity in Japan & Hong Kong

Sep 29th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

electricity in Japan & Hong Kong

I will be traveling from the US to Japan and Hong Kong. I need to confirm the electricity for both countries as I will be needing to recharge batteries for a video cam. Do I need to bring an adaptor and/or convertor? The travel books that I read seem to say different things.. one says both are needed and the other says it's the same as USA.
Sep 30th, 2003, 12:14 AM

I lived in Hong Kong for 5 years, and can tell you that they are on 220/240 volts, not 110/120 like the US. They have 3-pin plugs in a triangle configuration, spaced farther apart than the "grounded" 3-pin plugs you may sometime use in the US with electrical equipment. You will need an adaptor for the plug. As for the current, im my experience converters are bulky and generally do not work well; I would suggest you buy a battery charger that is dual-voltage.

As for Japan, my recollection is that it is it is 100 volts, so your US appliances should work. They also have plugs configured like the US, i.e., 2-pins. Perhaps someone who has lived in Japan can confirm this.
Sep 30th, 2003, 10:03 AM
sme

Japan runs on 100 V, at either 50 or 60 Hz. Plugs are the same as North America. All but the most sensitive applicances work in either location, and your battery recharger will work fine.

It isn't universal voltage, by the way? Some are, which means all you would need is a plug adapter for Hong Kong. A transformer is expensive and bulky.
Sep 30th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for replies. From your responses, I conclude that I should be fine in Japan.

The adaptor/convertor travel kit that I borrowed from a friend only contained a convertor for Europe and only a 3-prong plug adaptor for Hong Kong. There was no convertor for HKG. I guess I'll just have to recharge my cam batteries in Japan before leaving for HKG.
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

One more question, my video cam battery charger has a polarized plug (two flat pins with one slightly wider than the other). Will this work or do I need to find an adaptor with with non-polarized pins?
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:37 PM

I just got back from HK last week. Your plug should be fine but you will need an adapter.

My advice, do what we did. First night in town, go over to the Temple Street Night market and buy one for $1. You get to see the market and buy a needed item for cheap.

Oct 7th, 2003, 01:39 PM

I assume you mean for Japan, as your 2-pin plug won't fit the sockets in Hong Kong so you will need a 3-pin adaptor. I think you are better off bringing an adatpor that has two equal size pins, just in case Japanese plugs don't fit polarized plugs.
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cierone. Sorry for not being specific in my question, but yes, I was referring to a two pin polarized plug for use in Japan. I will make sure to bring along an adaptor to Japan, just in case.