Tamarind Village - Chiang Mai

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tamarind Village - Chiang Mai

I've read lots of positive things about this hotel and am seriously considering it for December. One question -- some people mentioned a lot of ants and mosquitoes. The woman I'm traveling with is allergic to certain kinds of bites so while she knows they exist in Thailand I'd like to keep it to a minimum in our hotel. Especially since this will be her first trip to asia. Is it really much of a problem at the hotel?

Thanks
Gloria
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:04 PM

If your friend is allergic to mosquitoes, I definitely would not stay there. Thailand is known for them and they seem to congregate at Tamarind VIllage. Very cute and great location but I spent most of the nights swatting them (this is after having the hotel staff spray and incense in the bathroom).
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:06 PM

by the way, I stayed there in January 2004 for four nights.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:48 PM

While we did not stay here, I can say that we stopped by to check it out and it was lovely -- we left wishing we had stayed there. I cannot imagine that it is any worse than any other place and the surroundings will be the best.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone else had any bad mosquito experiences at the Tamarind. That would make a big difference to both of us because, unfortunately, mosquitoes love us even if we feel differently.

I know they are all over Chiang Mai but I've never had a problem with them in other hotels.

We will be there the end of December.

Gloria
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

joanne-- were you there last year? I'm wondering if it's a problem they may have fixed.

Gloria
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:56 AM

Hi Gloria, I was there in January this year. Tamarind is a lovely place like Butch mentioned. Perhaps because the hotel's grounds are very lush, filled with lovely trees and flowers?? I hate to say negative things about the hotel because the place is owned by an acquaintance(I actually stayed there for free). But like you, mosquitoes love me and I was devoured. I know there are mosquitoes everywhere in Thailand but this is the only time in my memory when I couldn't sleep for three nights because of the buggers.
All the shopping that one must do there, good night sleep is key, n'est ce pas?
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Joanne-
I've never had a problem in Chiang Mai either and I don't want to now. I think I'll switch to the Rachamankha which I think is owned by the same family. It's more expensive and I love the sound of Tamarind but I'm not sure I want to take the risk.

Thanks
Gloria
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:32 PM

Wouldn't you just book into a nice hotel where the rooms are sealed (no cottages with windows/doors that open to the outside)- then you would be somewhat assured that the bugs won't be a big problem. If the room comes with a mosquito net around the bed- folks thats a clue!!!! Remember that Expedia.com commercial with the couple that goes to sleep in the exotic resort only to wake up with a zillion bugs buzzing their bed- be warned!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

I've been to Thailand 18 times in the past 20 years and have spent weeks in the Burma border area as well as in the northeast and far north. I've stayed in deluxe and very very non deluxe places and have never had a mosquito problem except in southern thailand my first trip. Oh I've gotten a few bites but nothing that was a problem. In fact I never would have even thought about it except that I saw some postings here.

And I think the only place I remember mosquito nets were in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. But maybe I've just forgotten that I had them.

Gloria