Takayama to Tokyo ?

Search

Takayama to Tokyo ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takayama to Tokyo ?

Hi, I have three days to explore the Japan Alps region. I plan to take the train to Kanazawa from Tokyo in the morning of day 1(according to Kanazawa's website, there is a 4 hour train from Tokyo to Kanazawa, can someone confirm this for me?) Day 2 afternoon by bus from Kanazawa to Shirakawa-go, overnight Shirakawago. Day 3, tour Shirakawago, afternoon by bus to Takayama (I don't have time to explore Takayama, just as a pass-through), then what is the best way to come back to Tokyo from Takayama? Matsumoto is only 20min by bus from Takayama? Then catch the train from Matsumoto to Tokyo? Does anyone know the train schedule? When is the latest train to Tokyo? My flight from Tokyo back to the States is around 3:00pm in the afternoon. If I don't have enough time to come back to Tokyo on Day 3. Maybe I can take the train the next morning. However, I am somewhat nervous about doing so since I don't want to take the risk of missing my flight if anything happens to the train ride. Are trains always very reliable in Japan? Any comments on this itinerary will be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 05:37 PM

It's about 4 hours by JR from Tokyo to Kanazawa, but it is not "a" train as it would require a transfer. See schedule info here:
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/

Look at the following info:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/RTG/PTG/pdf/pg-409.pdf

There is a JR bus from Ogimachi, Shirakawago to Nagoya. It looks like that would fit your schedule. Another option would be bus to Takayama and then train to Nagoya. From Nagoya take the shinkansen back to Tokyo. Going over the mountains from Takayama to Matsumoto is an enjoyable trip but takes more like 4 hours.

There is also a bus from Shirakawago to Toyama, so you could return via that route.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mrwunrfl. According to Fodor's, the bus from Shirakawago to Nagoya will takes 6 hours? Is this right? Is it a morning or afternoon bus? Could you recommend a hotel in Kanazawa and Shirakawago?
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 12:46 PM

The Tokyu Hotel in Kanazawa was excellent. Surprisingly big rooms, great location and wonderful, warm staff. Also very reasonably priced.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. How would you book with Tokyu Hotel?
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Here's the hotel website but I also suspect you can get it via a discount hotel website. You can search by hotel name and see what comes up.

http://www.tokyuhotels.co.jp/en/TE/TE_KANAZ/index.shtml
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:21 PM

On page 5 of the following guide:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/RTG/PTG/pdf/pg-409.pdf
you will see that the bus departs Ogimachi, Shirakawago at 14:13 and arrives Nagoya at 18:17. That's only 4 hours. Fodors might be right with the 6 hours.

I'll see if I can find a schedule.