Notices

Takayama and Ogimachi

Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Takayama and Ogimachi

Hi,
HELP!!
We will be arriving in Takayama from Kamikochi around 2:00pm. Our plan is to see Takayama and Ogimachi (we only have one night for this area), then go to Nagoya by bus leaving Ogimachi at 3:30 the next day.

Here's the problem:
I think we should see the sights in Takayama for 2-3 hrs (most museums etc. close by 5pm) and then spend the night there. The next morning we could go to the market then take the bus to Ogimachi. I think we can see all sights in Ogimachi in about 4-5 hrs. and still enjoy the town.

My friend thinks there's not much to see in Takayama and that we should rush through it in an hour then go to Ogimachi and spend the night there. We might not arrive early enough to have our dinner in a guesthouse, but we will have the whole next day until 3:30 to see the town.

My question is should we spend the night in Takayama or Ogimachi?

Thank you so much for your opinions!
Karen

Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM

Go straight thru to Ogimachi. Get there for dinner and spend the night. Take the 2:40PM bus out of Takayama.

There are some interesting sights in Takayama. The morning market by the river is not really one of them.
Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. So there's nothing worth seeing in Takayama? This will be our only chance to visit it.
Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:12 PM

I didn't say that. There are a few interesting sights and it is definitely worth a night. The Takayama Jinya for example. The merchant street is worth visiting but the market, the one they have on Sat. or Sun. mornings with booths set up by the river, is not.

But it is not worth a one hour stop. I guess you can rush through something but I don't think it is worth it. Spending 2 or 3 hours is marginally better, but you would be better off (if able and willing) leaving Kamikochi earlier to get to Takayama sooner.

What time do you think you will be getting to Kamikochi for the first of your two nights there?
Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:43 PM

Takayama is a small city with some preserved old areas/temples. It's nice enough, but you will be aware that you are in a city. I agree with Mrwnrfl about the morning market...not worth spending a night there to see it.

Shirakawa-go is a village, and the Ogimachi area is a World Heritage site for good reason. As touristed as it is, after the tour groups leave in the afternoon, the place is quiet and you can really feel the tradition. The people who live there are proud of their village and heritage and are more than welcoming to overnight guests. Stay in a minshuku there...be sure it's a gassho house with a bath and an irori (open hearth fireplace for cooking) for the bet atmosphere. Book ahead.
Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your insights.

The earliest bus from Kamikochi to Takayama is 12noon, and since we have already made plans, we can only spend one night either in Takayama or Ogimachi.

The Takayama market is not important, but I would like to see the Jinya, the merchant street houses (Yoshijima-je), and possibly the Inro Museum.

If we spend the night in Ogimachi, we will take the 2:40 bus and skip Takayama altogether.

I know we can see most everything in both towns if we spend the night in Takayama and the next day in Ogimachi.

So my question is: Would you recommend 1)spending the night in a gassho in Ogimachi and being in the village after the other tourists leave and miss Takayama or 2) spend the night in Takayama and see Ogimachi the next day?

Mrwunrful: We are visiting the Matsumoto castle on our way from one night in Tsumago and then on to Kamikochi. So we should be arriving in Kamikochi around 2pm I think! (Sorry for any multi-postings. I'm losing track of what's where!)

Thank you for helping me out! Karen
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
kja

Hi, kitkat2 -
If it makes any difference to your planning, I believe the Inro Museum closed permanently some time ago. I'm not positive, but that's what I was told when I visited Takayama a year ago. Hope that helps!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM

If I'm reading this correctly, you have one night to spend either in Takayama or Ogimachi, right? If that is the case I definitely think you should spend it in Ogimachi, as I assume that you would stay at a gasshouzukuri, and this is one of the few places where that is possible. If you are not planning to stay at a gasshouzukuri, then you should, as this is what makes this area interesting. Also, if you are planning to stay at Tsumago, the atmosphere is not all that different than Takayama. I mean it has the same old edo-style buildings/shops, so there is no reason to go to both Takayama and Tsumago, given the time constraints. I say all this as someone who loves all of these places. BTW, a lot of people go to Magome, and then hike to Tsumago. I can't remember how long it takes to hike - 2-3 hours??? Magome is small and doesn't take long to look at, but it has the interesting old style bank vault type buildings.

Search this Thread