Search

Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taiwan

Information about Taipei and Taiwan, anyone?

We will be in Japan during April 2019, on what promises to be an interesting privately-arranged tour by rail of various sorts.

As we will be flying to Tokyo to join the journey from Australia with China Air, the Taiwan Carrier, and we have to change in Taipei on the way back to Australia, we have given ourselves time to look around Taiwan and the old Formosa.

suggestions for 5days anyone.
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 12:02 PM

Hi MareeS55,

My second attempt at posting suggestions for you!

Firstly my wife and I really enjoyed our week in Taiwan and felt it was all to short. We do plan to return en route to visit son and DIL in Sydney. I found it necessary to do a fair amount of planning as there is just so much to see in Taiwan alone. The good news is that it is very easy to get around using public transport. The subway system especially is excellent.

We spent most of our time in Taipei with a side trip to Hualien and Taraoko Gorge by train and rented a car to expelore once there. Book train well in advance as the do get filled very quickly.

Details of where we visited with a lot more detail , photos etc., can be found on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/taiwan/

Although we didn end up taking any tours, we got a lot of invaluable help from Crystine and American expat running a small tour operator https://discovertaiwanadventures.com

With just five days, I think you could easily spend your time just in and around Taipei. Must sees include the National Palace Museum, Chiang Kai Sheks Memorial Hall, the many night markets, Baoan Temple and the views from Taipei 101 are incredible (whilst there, make sure to include a visit to the original Din Tai Fung - incredible dim sum!)
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info and links
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am another fan of Taiwan. I traveled solo, and used Lonely Planet to plan the trip. Definitely recommend Taroko Gorge.

For my trip see this post and the two following (links at the top of the page): https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...oon-on-taiwan/
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 09:08 AM

During the annual 6-week trip to S.E. Asia, I decided to zip over to Taiwan for 5 nights. I was back in Singapore by that time and flew from Singapore to Taipei before returning back to Singapore to fly home a week or so later. This was in Jan 2018/Feb 2018.

Although I spend almost all of my time in S.E. Asia, I do occasionally throw in a non-S.E. Asia destination. A year or so before, I threw in Hong Kong for 5 nights, but Hong Kong and I didn’t jell at all. Been there done that.

In Jan 2018/ Feb 2018, I decided to throw in 5 nights in Taiwan and absolutely loved it although it was cold. I was told that it was the coldest winter in decades and at least one day was 9C which was really hard after being in my favorite, S.E. Asian warm temps for weeks prior. But, I survived and I liked Taiwan so much until I have already booked and paid for 5 nights, in Taipei, for summer 2019 and have tagged that trip onto my now, annual 3-week, summer vacation to Japan. At least it will be hot in Taipei when I arrive in summer.

For summer in Taipei, I’ll fly L.A. to Narita and then overnight there and then fly on to Taipei the next day (one-way flight). Then, after Taipei, I’ll fly to Fukuoka (Japan), on a one-way flight and start in Fukuoka and then work my way across Japan by train. I’ll make my long stop back in Kyoto and then on to Tokyo to end my stay and from there fly home to L.A.

From Taipei to Fukuoka it’s only a little over 2 hours by plane and I haven’t been to Fukuoka yet.

While I was in Taipei, I loved going to the pottery village of Yingge and there’s a really beautiful pottery museum there. I had a great time there although it was pouring rain, windy and cold and the water level was nearly to my ankles in the parking lots in Yingge Village. A Taiwanese acquaintance, the mother of a resident at my condo building here at home, drove me there. When I mentioned, to my neighbor, that I was going to go to Taiwan, he was so excited until he told me to contact his mom. Taiwanese are so nice.

I was going to take the train to Yingge Village, but the weather was so bad until my Taiwanese acquaintance didn’t want me to take the train and instead came by my rented apartment, in Taipei, and drove me all the way there where we spent hours before driving to her home in Taipei and staying before going out to dinner with two of her in laws. We also went to the pottery museum while in Yingge.

My other 4 days in Taipei, I was on my own, but was fine although language can be a real barrier there. But, people were really curious about me and kept asking, “Where you from?” Then they would try to speak some English to communicate.

Thank goodness for the Old School galoshes that I got off of Amazon before leaving home and which totally kept my shoes and feet dry as that rain and wind was fierce. LOL!

Below is a link about Yingge.

https://www.nickkembel.com/experienc...in-yingge.html

Home New Taipei City Yingge Ceramics Museum

I also went to other places, but don’t have my journal in front of me right now.

The people in Taiwan are great and it’s a really nice and chilled out place to be.

Have a great time.

Happy Travels!