Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Taipei and back in 61 hours-Can you do it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi:
A few years ago I had the chance to do a quick trip from the central U.S. to Taipei over the weekend at a great price, while at the same time earning lots of bonus miles. With roughly only 18 hours to see Taipei, it took a lot of planning and flawless execution, but here is my report with some photos.

http://blog.newsok.com/thewanderer/category/taipei/
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 05:30 AM

You went all that way and didn't see the National Museum? Sounds like you'll need to do i again.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Well, I'm impressed by your can-do spirit. I'm an expat living in Taipei, so I know just how long that flight is. You never had to re-set your time clock, though, so I bet you didn't have jet lag when you got home.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Kathie-you are right! Nope, did not have the time to see the national musuem. I have to go back! It will be a good excuse.

jgmc-yes, once I finished the Taipei trip, I figured I could do almost any flight in the world. A 5-8 hour flight is now no big deal. No, I really did not have any jet lag. I was pretty rested when I got home. Asia is much easier for me to adjust to than is Europe. When I go to Europe, I am usually dead-dog tired the whole time.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 09:57 PM

>>>Taipei and back in 61 hours-Can you do it?<<<

Not quite yet, there nonstop; present personal 'trans-pac record' is ~ 72 hours, SFO-NRT-BKK - not to Taipei, not with a Taipei woman, and not even via SIN with that sensational Singapore Airlines, but rather, a rather late-year SWU upgraded 1K 'mileage run' with good ol' United Airlines. (And, ~ 30-hours with a certain cherished 'sub-61' woman at a certain riverside hotel; planned, and rather appreciated.)

Keep flying those turnarounds 'nonstop', chime in fodorites with your long-haul tales, and this occasional UA 'traitor' and rather lowly PPS kindly urges you to consider SQ - thank you.

macintosh (robert)

watching the river flow/

(b. dylan)
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

upgraded? no fair! Give me lots of bonus miles and a cheap fare=mileage run. And I am there!