Tailor near Bangkok Peninsula Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that there are MANY postings on tailors in Bangkok, and I've searched through them, but not seen an answer to this specific question.

Is there a tailor that is conveniently located close to the Bangkok Peninsula hotel and good? I'll want to get 2 suits and 6 shirts or so. My dilemma is as follows: We'll only be 2 and 1/2 days in Bangkok, returning through Bangkok on the way home at the end of the trip. We'll be staying at the Peninsula on a Monday and Tuesday, leaving Wednesday afternoon for the north. Returing a week or so later in the evening (staying this time at the Novotel BKK Airport and leaving for home on a 6am flight).

So, I was hoping to find a tailor convenient to the Peninsula that I could go to on the first day without wasting lots of my day. Hoping to have him come to the hotel for the second fitting, and come to the Novotel for the third and final fitting in the evening before I fly out. Then, he could ship it to me.

Couple of questions:
1. Name of a tailor that is good and close (I've seen people recommend Jack at Monet Il Sarto near the Marriott, and seen many people recommend Rajawongse. Neither are that close I guess.
2. Will I be able to ask the tailor to come out to the hotels as I've described above for the second and third fittings, or is that too much to ask?

Thanks much, I'm looking forward to nicely tailored clothes, but don't want to waste family time on the issue if it's going to be too much hassle.
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:21 PM

I know that some people have used Monet Il Sarto and speak well of him. I have used him and thought that his stuff was mediocre. The fit was good, but the fabrics were no better than so-so. Also, I think his shirt collars are awful: he uses some type of gluing that results in the collars almost never lying properly flat.

Best that I know near the Peninsula is Maxcoco, on the 2nd floor of OP Place. good tailoring, good service, and much better selection of fabrics than Jack at Monet il Sarto. And Maxcoco's shirt collars don't act like a piece of tin.

Easy to get to OP Place from the Peninsula -- ask the guy at the Peninsula ferry pier to have the Skytrain ferry drop you at the OP Place pier. From the pier, walk one block in the only direction you can without getting wet, then turn left to OP Place.
Old May 10th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Do recognize that you are cutting your time short for getting really good tailoring done. It may be fine, but I always want time for any final adjustments after the garments are made if I'm trying out a new tailor. You are planning for your third fitting at the Novotel the evening before flying home. I'm not sure that is realistic.