Reload this Page >

Syngapore & Bali

Search

Syngapore & Bali

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 11:46 PM
vicky

Syngapore & Bali

Any useful hints for Syngapore - especially advise on buying an SLR camera there - also Bali - what to do and what to see and where to SHOP !! We're a couple travelling from Wales, UK on our first trip without the kids !!!

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Gabriel

Hi Vicky<BR><BR>Singapore electronics shopping is pretty good, comparative to Hong Kong sometimes cheaper. You can either go the fixed price route with one of the bigger electronics shops Best Denki, Harvey Norman etc (all warranty, no hassles, money back guarantee- still cheaper than the UK)or try your luck in one of the smaller shops (where the price is about 20% less but be careful as the salespeople can get aggressive or pull a fast one - no warranty, no battery etc). If you want more detailed advice, email me directly.<BR><BR>Bali is great, Kuta Beach is a very typical tourist area with prices to match. Check out handicrafts in Nusa Dua, Ubud (artists colony). There also old hindu temples, waterfalls and a monkey colony. Your hotel should have a guidebook on the attractions.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Marvin

Try Peninsular Plaza or shops around the area for cameras. Insist on your warranty card. It may be wise to check out the models you want from the chain stores eg Alley Photo and their prices before you venture into the smaller shops. This is so if you're particular about prices and like to shop around. Most of the shops carry the same models.<BR><BR>Bali - been there a few years back. It's party party party. Tried white water rafting - believe it's Ubud, but it's pretty tame. A few diving sites as well if you're into it. Stayed in Kuta where most of the action is, but it does get crowded. Spend more time in Ubud where it is the cultural hub.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Kathie

Bali: Kuta is certainly party, party, party, but I wouldn't consider it Bali. It's packed with 20 year old Aussie males. Nusa Dua is a pretty sterile tourist enclave built specifically for high-end tourists. <BR><BR>There are lots of places to stay in Bali. I, personally, prefer the Sanur Beach area. There are several lovely hotels there. It's also convenient to villages you'll want to visit. Each of the Balinese villages has its own craft tradition. Ubud, for example is the center for painting; Celuk is for silver jewelry, Batubulan is for stone carving. You'll want to hire a car and driver to take you to various places to shop and sight-see.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Gabriel

Gabriel - Thanks for your help with the singapore camera business - I feel more confident already - just got to decide on which darn camera know !! Although I' getting a bit worried that we've chosen a hotel in a rather 'sterile' part of Bali - we're in the Nusa Dua Beach Resort & Spa - it looked wonderful - anyway we're off two weeks this coming Thursday - so there's not much we can do now - perhaps I should have done a lot more homework - the brochure sold it I'm afraid. Once again thanks and if you have any recommendations on a good camera don't hesitate to let me know - quickly !!! ---- VICKY

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:58 AM
david

Gabriel thanking Gabriel?????? So is gabriel vicky????