Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Survey: Laptops on leisure travel, anybody?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody bring a laptop on leisure travel? Why or why not? For those that provide on the go travel reports, are you in an internet cafe or your hotel room with laptop? I have a light-weight Powerbook and I feel like I should make use of it on the go for a trip coming up. I really need a better reason than typing a journal as opposed to writing in a book. Any comments?

Side question: Anyone know if trains in China (most likely soft sleeper, maybe hard) have power outlets? I can't remember.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:43 AM

What does "leisure travel" mean to you?
If it means a road trip somewhere - anywhere - then forget it - why cart it around? why have to keep an eye on an expensive piece of kit?

Why do you feel you should make use of it? Is it absolutely essential to be in touch 24hours a day with anyone?

Look, I'll confess to being of the old school when a postcard a week was sufficient from me to those at home, and a letter from them to me every few weeks collected from Poste Restante was an occasion.

I do take my laptop with me if I am going back to see family in Europe - but I have no intention of carrying it around Thailand or Laos, or wherever.

Left it in Left Luggage inside a suitcase at BKK airport last time and it was fine.

Cheers.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:46 AM

My reasons for taking a laptop on vacation:

1/. Download digital photo from my camera.
2/. Watch DVD movies.
3/. Play my CD on it.
4/. Net access.
5/. Work!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:48 AM

No need to bring a laptop as internet cafes with cheap access are everywhere. Most high-end hotels have internet access in their business centers although there is a price for the convenience.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

leisure - not work, possibly fun. does it really mean anything else?

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:54 AM

mainly download photos from my digital camera.
access email as sometimes biz center at hotels not accessible. also easier to access from room if free internet access is provided.
alternative entertainment esp if tv in hotel is crappy.
can do research on places to visit anytime.

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:05 AM

I don't take a laptop on my leisure travel, I've dragged one around enough on business travel! I use internet cafes for email. My traveling companion who is the photographer takes along a small external hardrive for reviewing and storing photos.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:17 AM

In Bangkok this past April, we found internet cafes everywhere for approx. 10 baht per half hour. We used them frequently to keep in touch with family and friends at home.

Last year in Beijing we had a very difficult time finding internet cafes and we able to locate only one, just south of Tianenmen Square. We used it only once or twice because it was so inconvenient, but I remember the price was reasonable.

Hotels, we find, charge about 10 times the going local rate and the internet can run so-o-o slowly.

In any case, I no longer lug my laptop with me when traveling. It may take a little bit of trying, but it seems like internet access is available in most places now. I like to check email and read the hometown news while I'm traveling. I do keep a travel journal, but I write it by hand - the old fashion way - when I'm relaxing in the evening.

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:51 AM

hanuman; i see you've got your priorities in order. .
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:52 AM

No, never, no need.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Vacation- leave the laptop at home.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:10 AM

My hubby takes his laptop on every trip...use to drive me nuts. Unfortunately he does need it for business all the time.

However, it is great to have for the other reasons mentioned above.

-Download digital photos
-Watch DVD movies
-Play music
-Net access

Came in very handy just last week when we were in the Maldives and had no TV or stereo for evening entertainment. Every night we popped in a new movie. And everyday we got to download our pics from diving or beach shots.

Glad we took it!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I usually take mine...Thats why I bought a small one! I never do work while on vacation, but I love to write a journal on it, upload my pictures, and refer to my trip notes.

I am leaving it behind in August when my daughter and I go to Thailand and India. It will be so hot, I'm taking only a tiny bag. My daughter will be remaining in India for 4 months, she is buying an Ipod to upload her pictures.

I'm just getting extra memory cards for my camera, but am seriously thinking of getting a PDA with wireless for future trips. Has anyone else done this?
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I used to bring a laptop on vacation in order to send emails but this was before internet cafes became so prevalent. I dragged one all over Australia for 4 weeks and was able to email friends and family and send digital pics that I took. But when I brought it to Egypt, I couldn't connect and ditto in Paris--old hotel and the phones were hard wired making it a total pain in the neck. I had to drag all kinds of equipment back then to connect the damn thing to a phone line and it just wasn't worth it. It's so much easier and cheaper to go to a cafe or hotel business center.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM

Hi:

While I don't drag along my laptop, I foolishly bring my modem equiped PalmPilot and forward my office e-mail to my AOL account. That way I can check mail anywhere (either via a browser from anywhere or via dial with my PalmPilot).

During 1 trip I actually received a 'business case' for a deal we'd been working via a PC in the business center in my hotel in Budapest, crunched the numbers in my PalmPilot's spreadsheet & recorded my analysis while on the train from Budapest to Vienna and e-mailed the results back to my team in Toronto from my hotel in Vienna.

I realize that its not the best use of vacation time, it does keep the $$ flowing in to ensure that I can travel for my vacations.

Z
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:48 AM

I never take one. If I want to email I go to an internet cafe.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:15 AM

Most definitely, I bring along the laptop. I've got a very small sized Dell that is light weight and slim. It fits into a side pocket on a neat little organizer carryon I found at a Bloomies in Vegas. I got tired of carrying around the big laptop!!

I (we) view and download photos and stay in touch with home and fodors with my built in WiFi. Many places where we stay have free WiFi service. Sometimes in the room, sometimes in the hotel lobby.

Carol