Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Sun seeker...Current Thailand beach suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2010, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're heading to Thailand this coming week and we'd really hoped to spend some (dry-ish) time at the beach. All the beaches I've checked are rainy with thunderstorms. Isn't this supposed to be the end of the rainy season? Does anyone have any suggestions for a beach that might be less rainy than others?
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 10:27 PM

The west coast of Thailand (i.e. Phuket) is coming out of the rainy season. The east coast is heading into the rainy season. Phuket would be a better bet, but it may not be totally dry. End of December is generally a better time in terms of chances of very dry weather for Phuket. I think it will be just the luck of the draw if you are going next week. But the west coast would be a better choice over the east generally, IMO. If you can’t get to the Phuket side, then northern beaches on the east coast, like Hua Hin, are a better than islands like Koh Samui which are further south and more in the winter monsoon now.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 12:44 AM

I just spent four nights in Ao Nang and the weather was amazing. Clear blue skies despite the gloomy forecasts. It only rained for an hour maximum in the evening/at night. I'm now in Koh Phi Phi and the weather is just as great!
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 04:30 PM

I just got back from a trip to Phuket, Phi Phi and Lanta. It did rain in the afternoon the first few days, but the last couple of days in Lanta, the weather has been wonderful. It did rain once or twice during the night, but that's no big deal.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 11:40 PM

Still wonderful in Phi Phi...