Sukhumvit Bangkok

Jul 12th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Sukhumvit Bangkok

Hi all, I am usually on the european board but planning atrip to Bangkok/Thailand and was wondering abbout a comment someone made about not liking Sukhumvit for reasons. Is it dodgy? Is this a strip bar area etc you get the gist. Just curious as i awas looking at cheaper more boutique hotels in this area. Also anyone stay in the Shanghai Inn? Sounds interesting!
Jul 12th, 2007, 06:30 AM

it appears that this hotel is in chinatown....that is a unique area...it gets decent reviews....but it is a 10-15 minute walk to the transit system and that is not good....you will be very hot and sweaty after a 15 minute walk....but you could use a taxi for that ride...

in general the sukhumvit area is bangkok's main street....although the city has several main streets....the lower end of sukhumvit, around soi 4 is one of bangkok's adult entertainment areas....there are a couple of pockets of such activity within the city...it is nothing to scare you away quite honestly and these areas can be totally avoided if you wish...
along sukhumvit there are many street vendors, but you can have the same opportunities along silom road too and some other areas of the city...

i would not worry about this....but i would worry about the hotel not being near to transportation which is vital in bkk....
Jul 12th, 2007, 06:32 AM

on trip advisor while the reviews were generally good to excellent, i did note a few things which bothered me....."the bell boy greeted me and took me to my room..."---is there no front desk??
"i had to show my paperwork for each thing i had already pre-paid..."
"my room had no windows..."
Jul 12th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Chinatown is an interesting area with lots of street markets. The problem with staying in Chinatown is the location in terms of getting to places in Bangkok. Chinatown is not near the skytrain, and the traffic in Chinatown is the worst of any area of Bangkok, making using taxis an exercise in patience.

Just in terms of convenience for getting around, the Sukhumvit area, near a skytrain, would be much more convenient.

Personally, I much prefer to stay by the river, but those hotels are more expensive.
Jul 12th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanka all will keep that in mind so I am thinking now more the David hotel. I know about China, India Sing but Thailand is totally new to me so I am reading all the posts. We are trying to go for 3-4 weeks for Our Honeymoon from mid Dec to mid Jan and I may be in India for work and Fly from Mumbai there and meet my Hubby in Bangkok and then its all up to how much and how long we can afford to stay.

We are coming from Dublin an neither of us did any backpacking or tarvel for long periods when we were in our 20'S loke most here in Ireland so we want to wander with a little more comfort! I tarvel to India and China for work each year so I sm comfortable in Asia and love travelling there.

Jul 12th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Sukumvit is both an area and a very long boulevard. I stay in an apartment building on Sukumvit and love it and would not hesitate to even buy a condo in the area. But, I'm at Sukumvit, soi 22. As I said, it's a very long boulevard. The area around the Nana skytrain station is the bar area that's in the lower soi numbers. I'd highly suggest getting a map, during your planning stages, and going over it. Many of us use the Nancy Chandler map...nancychandler.net. It shows the areas and soi numbers very well plus comes with a little booklet of hotels, shopping areas, restaurants, and of course a skytrain map. well worth the money as some maps don't really show a lot of Sukumvit. Happy Travels!
Jul 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM

I have stayed a couple of times at a place called Suk 11 and it is located right on Suk 11. Great area, easy stroll to the sky train and some fun places nearby including Bed Supper, Q Bar and Cheap Charlie's.

I stayed at the Davis last year and I wasn't impressed at all. It is like any business hotel in the USA. Very impersonal. It also is a long walk to the sky train although they do have a little shuttle service but you have to time it right.

Jul 12th, 2007, 12:14 PM

S-The Chinatown area is nice to walk through, but inconvenient to stay. Depending upon your budget, the river (expensive for Thailand, but cheap for Europe) is the favorite of many on this forum. Sukhumvit is very convenient for shopping and the skytrain. Perhaps it would be best if you looked for a hotel and inquired or just suggested your per night budget.
Jul 12th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Take a look at a Thai hotel booking site - I use www.sawadee.com And see what appeals to you in your price range. Note that the prices on this site includes tax and service (a total of 17%) and sometimes breakfast as well.
Jul 12th, 2007, 08:59 PM

I've actually stayed at the Shanghai Inn - five times. It's one of my favorite hotels anywhere - but, to be honest, it IS a very strange place. I like that, and having tried a number of the big swish hotels on my 30 or so trips to BKK now I'm trying the 'boutique' side of things.

What you see in the website is exactly what you'll get. Yes, the rooms really do look like that. One of the suites - room 501 from memory - is great, right on top of the extraordinary scene that is Chinatown.

I loved living right in the middle of things - the second you head out from the hotel you're right in the middle of everything - the sights, the sounds AND the smells. Yes, transport can occasionally be a hassle - not getting TO things, that's no drama - but getting back - particularly at rush hour. But, hey, that's Bangkok.

There's fabulous food options within seconds of the front door - [and a supermarket downstairs]. And yes, you will find that there is a kind of taxi mafia directly outside the hotel - and, errrr yes, you will be offered ping pong shows and the like...

A simple 'no' will suffice.

Yes, of course there's a front desk. It's upstairs. The boys will show you. Then they'll take your bags to your room. These bell boys, by the way, are worth cultivating, just for the fun of it. Take the time to sit on the steps and chat while all around you Chinatown pumps away. If you can time your visit for pre-Chinese New Year it's a BLAST.

They do, however, run a fine tooth comb over the room while you're checking out to make sure you havn't nicked anything - this is, to our sensibilities, fairly crude - there's a list of items and their cost and you WILL pay - but then, actually, they do that anywhere - it's just a question of whether they're up front about it.

I think the trick is, perhaps, not to steal anything.

Yes, there are some inside rooms without natural light - ask for an 'outside' room. Problem solved.

This is SUCH an odd place it's worth putting up with these eccentricities. Their web site has some good periodic deals.

It seems most of the people on this site would have trouble buttering a piece of toast for themselves when they travel - this hotel is not for them. But if you want eccentric, quirky and mid-range cheap - this is the spot.

Jul 13th, 2007, 05:35 AM

dogster, now I am very intrugued about this hotel! I may have to give it a go during my next visit! Moto taxis would be the quickest way to get to and from during rush hour as they can squeeze between the cars that are stopped.

Hmmm... if I stay next time I will post my impressions.

I had to laugh at your description of some of the folks on this board - "It seems most of the people on this site would have trouble buttering a piece of toast for themselves when they travel."

The Shanghia Inn does sound truly like the "real" Bangkok!
Jul 13th, 2007, 07:44 AM

I'm sure a lot of folks on this forum have been not only "buttering their own piece of toasts" for decades, but have been buttering everyone else's pieces of toasts in their families. So, it's great to be able to get away from it on a ahort vacation and enjoy some luxury. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Jul 13th, 2007, 07:53 AM

correction..."short" not "ahort". Happy Travels!
Jul 13th, 2007, 09:53 AM

You said it Guen...

Be careful with the insults, Dogster. You might find that while many of us enjoy the luxury of buttered toast at times, we have done lots of other travels where we built the fire and milked the yak to get the butter.

Assumptions are often so wrong.
Jul 13th, 2007, 10:14 AM

lcuy,

Again you are sooooooo right. Love the people who assume we have never traveled their way.

Aloha!
Jul 13th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Two thumbs way up to Lcuy and Hawaiiantraveler! As for the rugged travel...kind of been there...done that... for decades...and have earned some luxury. Happy Travels!
Jul 13th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Pandas cannot butter toast. We have great difficulty in holding the butter knife in our paws. Bamboo is much easier to grab and does not quire butter. We just stick the end in a jar of jam and we're good to go.
Jul 13th, 2007, 10:49 AM

what is "toast" and "butter"?

is it like filet mignon?
Jul 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Does having pork intestines floating in my Thai noodle soup count as roughing it?
Carol

(Lucy, HT, you sure got it right)
Jul 14th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Totally enjoying the humor here. I only do toast with jam these days because I refuse to milk the yak anymore...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO