Sukhumvit area of Bangkok

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sukhumvit area of Bangkok

Can anyone provide a good description of the sukhumvit area in Bangkok. I will be staying in this area, on Soi 24 at the President Part Apartment Hotel, and am very curious what this area is like. I am particularly interested in the dining, nightlife, spas, shopping and tailoring.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM

There is lots of all of that and much more in the Sukhumvit area.

It's a very busy area - you'll want to use the skytrain as much as possible, as it is the locale of many of Bangkok's infamous traffic jams.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Presidents Park isn't the best location, but it's a decent hotel. You'll need to take a taxi or motorbike taxi to get up to the BTS station at Emporium (or you can do the 10-15 minute walk). Soi 22 is easily accessible from here as well. Plenty of options for food there. On 24, try Lemongrass near Emporium. Expensive for Thai food, but generally quite good.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:01 PM

I thought the Lemongrass restuarant was good, and the restaurant is quite quaint. I would go again.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:52 PM

Yes, Lemongrass is an old favorite of mine as well.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:08 PM

i did not like lemongrass...over rated in our opinion....maybe our two times there were off nites??

you will not lack on the sois off of sukhumvit for eating and at emporium there are many options as well and a large grocery store and plenty of shops...emporium is at the corner of soi 24 and sukhumvit and the skytrain stop is there also...

as for a description....sukhumvit may be the most busy street in bkk....if not it ties with sathorn and silom....
it is a divided raod with traffic going one way on one side and two way on the other side...you are on the one way side...the skytrain is overhead...

there are shops and restaurants, etc all along sukhumvit and it is many miles long...taxis are plentiful too...

soi four is one of the adult entertainment areas...

soi 1 is an arab area and indian area..
\
soi 11 has lots of bars, upscale and restaurnats...

soi 16 and 18 have good eating options too...

all along sukhumvit for many blocks starting at soi 2 there are street vendors selling all kinds of cheap stuff...one of the best tailors in directly on suk, near to the landmark hotel...

you will find mcdonalds, etc along this route...and tons of other fast food and massage and almost anything else you might want...

it is a busy area about 25 hours per day...

sois are streets that run off of main streets....thus soi 4, sukhumvit is a street that runs off of sukhumvit..

the even sois are on one side of suk and the odd on the other but they do not match up across from each other, especially as the numbers get higher... so soi 39 might be across from soi 24, but i don't just remember...
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:36 PM

We stayed at The Davis over Xmas 2003 which is on Sukumvit 24 and thought it was a nice area although a long way from the river + attractions. Some good local restaurants in the locale. The Seafod market is worth a visit a very large restaurant. Great fish & seafood and you are provided with a shoppping trolley so you collect your choice of fish vegetables etc from the coolers and take them to the "food consultnts" station (chefs!) where they will suggest ways of preparing the meal for you. Great if you are in a large group.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:39 PM

Sorry. I forgot to mention, Le dalat is also close by a. A vietnamese restaurant a great venue/ambience although on the night we were there the service and food were just ok but I thinkthey were having an off day as others rave about the place.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:40 PM

hallo

President Park is a complex in itself - it has its own supermarket (Tops, I think), dentists, v. large gym, climbing wall....

Dining: yes Lemongrass is not a bad intro to Thai food. Le Dalat as mentioned is on the other side of Sukhumvit on Soi 23, which also has Baan Kanitha, another nice Thai restaurant. Seafood supermarket is good but take care - the prices can add up.

For shopping, if you want to see a less upmarket more local side then you can go onto Rama 4 to the Carrefour and Tesco Lotus shopping centres - they're not far at all. If you're even more adventourous then Khlong Toey market - one of the largest open air food markets in Bangkok - is just a short taxi ride away. You could also take a taxi to Khlong Toey underground station should you need to use that instead of the BTS.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 05:07 AM

I always enjoy walking along Sukhumvit. As a woman who is often out walking alone, I find it to be very safe. My time is usually spent between sois 3/4 and 11/14 area. Plenlty of activity day and night. Some vendors set up at 1 am to "start" their selling day!! They catch the bar hoppers who go out late I guess (not me). It is also cooler then.

Anyway, DO take the skytrain towards Siam and ChitLom stations and you will find some unbelievable shopping places. The new Paragon mall (at Siam BTS) is beautiful, and the sea world in the basement is interesting. The food court in the lower level is amazing. Also at Siam BTS stop you will find Siam Discovery, Siam Center, and MBK (Mah boon krong) mall. MBK gets discussed quite a bit on this forum. MBK is actually connected to the BTS at National Stadium station, but it's just across the street from all the Siam shops so easily reached on foot. The foot bridges above the busy street are the way to get across.

There's a mall called Central World, which is still undergoing a major renovation, but is open for business. It is located at the Chit Lom BTS stop, but an easy walk from Siam if you prefer to go by foot. Gaysorn Plaza is smaller but very upscale with some good food places for lunch, and also is located at Chit Lom BTS.

Central ChitLom is a terrific department store with a Food Loft (food court with an excellent and very reasonable selection from around the world) on the 7th floor. Try to get a table by the window where there is a little more light. Central store is connected to the BTS station at Chit Lom.

Also at ChitLom, located "behind" Gaysorn, is NariPhand, a Thai craft store. You can find some nice things here.

If you care to cross the canal on the "other end" of Central World, you will find the Pratunam area. It is filled with vendors selling all sorts of very inexpensive items. Platinum Mall is the newest in the area and quite nice (and cool inside after walking). Down from Platinum Mall is Pantip Plaza, and big mall that is just filled with computers, cameras, TVs and everything electronic. You'll see all the latest things, some that are not availabe in the west yet.

The shopping area from MBK to Central ChitLom department store is an easy walk from place to place. It is all on one street. Shops and malls are close enough together that you won't feel stressed with this walk even though it's hot outside. There is a walkway below the skytrain route that might be easier to navigate than the sidewalks, which are often uneven.

I always stay along Sukhumvit because of its location near the "heart" of the shopping district I've just described. I enjoy the river, but don't always make my way down there, as it's a little farther away and, although interesting, it is not where I spend the bulk of my time.

I note that you are staying in an apartment. I also like to stay in serviced apartments. Soi 11 has the Grand President, which I think is nice. Soi 4 (although not such a "nice" soi because of adult bars) has the Omni Tower, which is quite reasonable but a little longer walk to the BTS station at NaNa.

Enjoy your trip. You will find everything (and more) in Bangkok.

Carol
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Crel---le delat closed last year....but le delat indochine is still open on soi 23....
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Any more detail on the spas available in this area. I am having trouble obtaining good Bangkok spa info online.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Face is my fave. Check it out at www.facebars.com

Click on Bangkok, then on spa. It's on a soi off Sukhumvit. I go there at least twice each trip. The spa is small, only two treatment rooms, so you really do need an appointment. The Thai restaurant called LaNa Thai is excellent, though pricy for Bangkok. They also have an Indian restaurant called Hazara with is good.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:03 AM

This is my area of residence as I stay at the Emporium Suites Serviced Apartments on Sukumvit, soi 22...attached to Emporium Mall. I see the shuttle for the President Park often pass by my building. This is a great area as far as I'm concerned and if I could buy a condo I'd buy it on Sukumvit,soi 24.
First, you have Emporium Mall which has about every service one needs inside from a tailoring service in the basement on the carpark level, to the incredible gourmet grocery store on the top level of the mall. Plus, there are lots of other stores, a movie theater, and tons of places to eat within the mall.
As for other restaurants, you have Lemongrass right at the beginning of Sukumvit,soi 24...closest to the skytrain and there are lots of restaurants in the area all the way down to Sukumvit, soi 20 to eat at. Or you can jump the skytrain and go one stop to Trong Lor and go to Face Restaurant which is a 5-minute walk from the Trong Lor sklytrain station. Once I was meeting some Fodorites at Face and left my apartment about 20 minutes before I was to meet them and arrived at the restaurant with extra time to spare. The skytrain usually takes less than a minute to go from station to station. I've timed it.
Down on Sukumvit, soi 20 which you can walk to from Emporium Mall, is the gorgeous Koi restaurant and Tamarind Cafe along with Bei Otto German Bakery at the beginning of the soi...one of the few places in town which one can get a decent loaf of bread. You'll have a good time in this area. Happy Travels!