Suggestions please!!

Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:40 AM
Roy

Suggestions please!!

Our December trip to Sri Lanka has been cut short at Bangkok because Cathay Pacific Air is not flying now to Colombo. Except for the beach resorts we have pretty much done Thailand, so we are thinking of taking a trip out of Thailand. Which would be the most interesting and, hopefully, exotic destination - Laos, Veitnam, Cambodia or Burma? And would it be best to make those arrangements after we reach Bangkok? Has anyone had a good experience with a travel agent in Bangkok? Or would it be best to try to arrange something on the net? Thanks for any input.

Sep 22nd, 2001, 08:20 AM
Kathie

Any of those countries would be interesting. If you've never been to Angkor Wat, that might be a good option. It depends on what you want to do. Another alternative easily accessible from Bangkok is Malaysia. Personally, I'd make arrangements from here via the internet (it's so easy!), but if you'd prefer to wait until Bangkok, that's certainly do-able. I've dealt with Deithiem travel in Bangkok. Hmm... I think I've spelled that wrong. Maybe someone else can help.

Sep 22nd, 2001, 09:36 AM
Roy

Thanks Kathie. After reading further I guess Ankgor Wat will be at the top of our list - it sounds fantastic. But then we have ten days left so I'm wondering about Laos.
Also, is there any Thai air service from Chiang Mai to Mandalay? Is Pagan worth the effort? thanks, Roy

Sep 22nd, 2001, 02:38 PM
Kathie

Sorry, Roy, I can't help with the air connections question. I often use orbitz.com to answer these kinds of questions.

I haven't yet been to Burma (it's still on my to do list), but from everything I've heard it's a wonderful experience.

Sep 22nd, 2001, 03:07 PM
John G

I have been to Sri Lanka and I loved it. I was going to return, but after the Tamil Tigers blew up the airport I decided not to go. It wasn't so much that I was afraid of terrorism, but almost all the tourists who flew into Colombo the day of the bombing were left on their own!! The gov't offered them no assistance and the majority were left to walk the long road from the airport into Colombo. This does not give one a great deal of confidence in the government of Sri Lanka. Hope you find an alternative.

Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:18 PM
mari

roy--

u're right in going w/ angkor wat--it is absolutely amazing. i've also used diethelm travel on wireless road in bangkok several times over the yrs and they've always proved reliable w/ plane tkts and visas, but it's very easy to arrange bkk-siem reap over the internet. thai air and royal air cambodge fly btwn the two cities (ck out their internet sites for schedules), and if u do a search under 'siem reap' u'll find hotel suggestions, many w/ internet sites. my personal favorite is angkor village. u can even find suggestions for english-spkg guides if u do a search. and americans can get visas on arrival at siem reap airport for $20 (don't forget passport photos).

for ur other 10 days, i think either vn or burma wd be great choices--in either country u cd travel rather slowly down the coast. i also very much like luang prabang in laos, a town of vivid atmosphere set in dense jungle on the banks of the mekong. in villages along the river, the lifestyle may remind u of thai hilltribe conditions. but luang prabang alone (wdn't recommend vientiane) isn't worth 10 days.

sounds like a promising trip wherever u go--pls let us know what u decide!

Sep 24th, 2001, 06:35 AM
pat

Roy,
If you still would love to go to Sri Lanka, you can fly from bkk to Colombo with either Thai or Srilankan.
I think it is Air Mandalay who serves the Chiang mai-Mandalay airlink. I have never been to Pagan, but from the documentary I have watched would be a very nice old town.
Actually, I support the Angkor idea.

Welcome to asia.

Sep 24th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Penelope

Personally, I would go to Burma. Take the Thai Airlines flight from Bangkok to Rangoon (Yangon) and head out to Mandalay (be sure to go up to Myamyo---you can do it easily by private car), Bagan, and Inle Lake. You can take a car rather inexpensively from Bagan to Inle Lake via Mt. Popa in one day's time (make arrangements in Bagan). Dietheim is a reputable travel agent in Bangkok. You could buy your round-trip ticket to Rangoon through that office, then make your own arrangements after you arrive in Burma. But, check me out on this; it has been several years since I have been in Burma. Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia are all good choices, but Vietnam is a little far off and not very manageable in one week; Laos has Luang Prabang, Vientiane, and area south of Pakse; Cambodia has Angkor Wat. I have been to all of them in the last three years, but Burma remains my favorite place in SE Asia. P

Sep 25th, 2001, 07:56 AM
TERRI

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD INSURANCE COMPANY THAT IS INEXPENSIVE - HOPING TO GET TO INDIA, THAILAND, JAPAN + OZ, OVER ABOUT 8 - 18 MONTHS - ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Sep 28th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Lee

What does that have to do with this?

Oct 29th, 2001, 01:24 PM
JimB.

Is the golden triangle area worth three days?