Stop at Tokyo when refueling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Thailand for 16 days. Plane refuels in Tokyo and one is allowed to stay in Japan for an additional $100 air fare. Is it worth staying for two nights? Could I really see anything in such a short time? Suggestions, recommendations appreciated.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:51 AM

i am flying ua to bkk and i am allowed to stop over in jp for free. i don't know what airline you are using, but if its ua, there is no addl charge for one stop over enroute to bkk. two nites in tokyo might be worth(three is better) it if you have never been there. if you can, stay over on your way back, this way, you should get into tokyo in the early afternoon so you can maximize your time, and shop for a few items to take home.
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

What airline is "ua" ? What would you suggest besides shopping? What would be the one site to see? To not miss?
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:29 PM

united airlines. you could take a tokyo city day tour, visit the meiji shrine, ueno park, lots of must sees threads on this site. do a scan and you will get alot of good info. a day tour to nikko might also be worthwhile.
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:33 PM

definatly try too take the stop over on way back. I learned my leason. tokyo is a 2 hour bus ride from narita. As mentioned just take a city tour and walk around your hotel too experience the city. and you will have had a nice litle glimps of the city.

many tours end in Ginza shopping district. so plan on a way too get back too hotel...

Old May 6th, 2004, 06:40 PM

If you can take two days, you'll find enough to do, although time is short so I agree a city tour one day will give you a glimpse. Be sure to stay in Tokyo, and not at Narita Airport, to make the most of touring the city. A Narita Express train from Tokyo Station is 1 hour, and more predictable than bus times. Although, bus service goes directly to/from hotels and airport so is more convenient if you have lots of luggage.

Some sites you can explore on your own for a day: Tokyo Edo Museum, Asakusa area (temple), from where you can take a boat (river bus) to Hamarikkyu Park, and be fairly close to Ginza.

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:47 PM

Limo bus from Narita airport to Tokyo hotels cost about US$30 each way.

Dave