Star ratings in Thailand

Nov 11th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Star ratings in Thailand

Author: marathon2
Date: 11/11/2005, 01:25 am
I forgot to ask the second part of my question-it's getting late. (note-it was really late I guess-this morning I found this question on the US forum! I don't remember ever looking at that forum!)

Because of the length of our trip, I'd love to keep cost down a bit in Thailand. I've heard 3 star hotels in India are to be avoided. Is that true for Thailand as well? In the states, we are often OK with Holiday Inn Express, etc.-just clean,decent rooms. Are three stars in Thailand OK?
I find that on the Asiarooms site, even the 4 star hotels have a huge range in price. That makes it hard to guess quality. Input? We will be in Bangkok and Phuket, I think.

Nov 11th, 2005, 05:20 AM

There are 3 and 4 star hotels that are fine and others that are to be avoided. I think if you let us know where you are going and what your budget is for hotels we can give you many good options.
Nov 11th, 2005, 05:31 AM

as gloria says it really is on a case by case basis and largely depends on who owns the hotel and how they keep it...

the thai, and asia in general, star rating is different from usa/europe standard...it really depends on facilities at each property and not necessarily on the overall quality of these facilities...

for instance the holiday inn silom in bkk gets a 4 star rating...no way in any book is it a 4*....maybe 3.5 star at a stretch....it is ranked along with the sheraton orchid...no way are they the same....

some 3* hotels would be fine, but others would not be....i tend to think 3* places out of the cities would be far nicer than 3* in the city but this is not a fast rule...

i do not think that most western tastes could handle a 2* or below, but again this is on a case by case basis..and in some places, in rural thailand, 2* may be the only choice....

of course this all depends on what you are used to and what you require from a hotel...

in thailand a/c is a must for me and many rural places would not offer this convenience/necessity....
Nov 11th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for both replies. I wondered about the star ratings when I saw the huge differences in prices for same star ranking. Who assigns thoses?

I don't have a firm budget. I can pay what I need to get a decent/nice place, but would prefer it be in the 60-100 range. I can pay more rather than stay in a marginal place though. I want to make sure it's decent/nice with air conditioning, convenient to sights or transportation. In Bangkok, we'd like to be near transportation, want to take a cooking class and do some shopping. My daughter wants to dive and I think that will take us to Puhket. There, we'd want to be convenient to diving and something for me to do, too and I am not good at lying around.
Nov 11th, 2005, 08:03 AM

i often thing the stars are self assigned....haha

they are a guide but not always accurate...especially places that are living on past glories...

i tend to book the newer places thinking that they have the best facilities and not as many broken things....may be false thinking however....look at the oriental...one of the oldest and probably the best as least based on pricing....

i think generally the price tells the whole story...

in my mind in bkk anything under $50 would not suit me....in the $60-125 category most of the decent places are found..

the serviced apartments are a fantastic buy all around and they generally are far less than hotels...centre point, marriott mayfair, emporium, princess, presidents, etc
Nov 11th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! The serviced apartments sound like a good deal. I noticed those, but was concerned because they seemed so much cheaper.
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:37 PM

There is 'no' official star rating system!
Some hotels have been officialy assigned 5 star ratings but these are just a few hotels, do watch for anywherre that assigns star ratings because there is 'no' official rating and I too wonder how these stars are assigned as I have seen some that are certainly not correct.
Very roughly anything above USD 25 is 'usually' ok, certain operators actualy check out the properties if they are local ( like R24/Sawadee etc ) actually have people go around the properties.

Best is to tell us whwre you are going and what your price range is and type of place you like and also use the search here on the Fodors forums for ideas of places people have been to.
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:43 PM

on serviced apartments, several of our members use them regularily..

i have visited centre point on both silom and ruan rudee and also the marriott mayfair and all three are just as nice as any hotel...the rooms are large, well appointed and very clean...all come with breakfast and all have a small restaurant on premises...all have a pool but only the marriott has a really nice pool overlooking bkk...
you will not go wrong with them...the wireless rd is the newest of the centre points and it is in a very good location really...next door to american ambassadors house...
Nov 12th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. It's really helpful.