Spring trip to Tokyo and Kyoto -10 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for itinerary suggestions for a 10 day trip to Tokyo and Kyoto area late March. Quality hotels, " must see and experience ideas", and restaurants to dine at. First time to Japan and speak no Japanese so any helpful tips would be really appreciated.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 05:45 AM

Would recommend you invest some time reading http://www.japan-guide.com first, and try and pin down yourself some of your key interests.

My must sees are unlikely to be yours, and vice versa, though I'm sure there would be overlap.

Also, give us more info on what your general travel interests are - architecture, nature, culture, craft, shopping, entertainment, dining, technology, museums, music...?

Also, does that 10 days include arrival and departure date or not? i.e. what time of the day do you arrive, how many full days do you have in Japan and what time of the day do you depart?
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

We are just in the process of booking trip. I think we would have 8 days there. In Tokyo area, would like to see key shopping, dining, and entertainment spots. We also want to experience the Bullet train and tour castles, go to the onsens, see a Geisha performance in Kyoto area, see temples, etc. We also read that Hakone is worth traveling to. Do you know of any great Onsens and Ryokans to visit? We want to experience a bit of OLD Japan. Need suggestions on taking rail system, buying a rail pass, etc. ?

Thank you for your thoughts!
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 08:09 AM

Hi Jane

8 days is quite short, so my strongest advice would be not to try and cram too much in. There is so very much to experience in Japan, you can't do it all in a single trip, especially one as short as yours. That said, you will still be able to enjoy many wonderful places and experiences and I suspect, like many of us, you will find yourself booking a second trip before too long!

I spent 5 days in Kyoto on my first visit and another 6 there on my second and I could happily spend another week there next time I go, there is a lot to see and do. Again, I suggest you look at Japan Guide (link above) and get a feel for what appeals most. Kyoto is excellent for culture/ architecture (there are many stunning and unique temples, they are quite distinct from each other and most visitors enjoy visiting a few during their time there), there are traditional areas where you can get a feel for historical Japan, there are modern shopping areas, you'll also be able to enjoy excellent dining and certainly could book a Geisha performance ahead of time.

Tokyo is huge and is best thought of as multiple cities in one. That said, for me, it held less interest than Kyoto and other places and I gave only a few nights there on our second trip.

I haven't been to Hakone, though I'd like to, I couldn't fit it into my itineraries for the two trips I've made (17 nights and 19 nights respectively) but I would certainly like to go. I agree that an onsen is worth experiencing - pick a recommended ryokan with onsen for a splurge night (and arrive early enough to enjoy it on the afternoon of arrival and in the morning before departure).
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 04:27 PM
kja

I agree that with only 8 days, you will need to be extremely selective. And I second the suggestion to consult japan-guide.com. You will find information there that will let you plan a trip that suits YOUR interests and needs.

You might also consult some of the planning threads on this board, where you can learn a lot about what people considered as they decided what to do. The planning threads are, IME, often much more informative than trip reports because you see what MANY people think about the things they've seen and done, not just what a traveler saw/did.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 06:41 PM

You can have a fine trip to Japan with 8 days for Tokyo, Kyoto, and a stop in Hakone. More is better. You can go back. My thoughts are that you need to do some homework (japan-guide and http://jnto.go.jp, and recent trip reports) but you did have a couple of things in your posts to comment on.

Finding those key spots in Tokyo can be as easy as asking your concierge.

You would take the shinkansen (bullet train) between Tokyo and Kyoto. You might want to book your air tix to fly into Tokyo and home from Osaka, or vice versa. You won't find castles to tour in Tokyo or Kyoto (Nijojo doesnt count). I think there is one in Odawara near Hakone. There are some very nice ryokan in Kyoto.

Your best option for an onsen would be Hakone. I have not stayed here, but: http://www.fujiyahotel.jp/en/
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 12:01 AM

For those three places, if I were planning the trip for me / a friend I'd probably split it to be 3 nights Tokyo, 1 night Hakone and 4 nights Kyoto. But once you've worked out which attractions attract you the most, you can work out the best balance yourself.

Mine might be:
Day 1 Arrive Tokyo, overnight
Day 2 Day in Tokyo, overnight Tokyo
Day 3 Day in Tokyo, overnight Tokyo
Day 4 Early morning to Kyoto, overnight Kyoto
Day 5 Day in Kyoto, overnight in Kyoto
Day 6 Day in Kyoto, overnight in Kyoto
Day 7 Day in Kyoto, overnight in Kyoto
Day 8 Early morning to Hakone, overnight in Hakone
Day 9 Back to Tokyo, overnight in Tokyo
Day 10 Depart to home

(Day 8, if you leave Kyoto station at 08:29 am, make one change only in Odawara, you arrive into Hakone-Yumoto for 11:05)

For two ryokans I loved in Kyoto area, please read these reports. I'd probably suggest staying your entire 4 nights in Kyoto, perhaps split between two in Shiraume and 2 elsewhere. If you decide on all 4 nights in a ryokan, make sure you find one like Shiraume, that allows you to book some nights without dinner included.
http://www.kaveyeats.com/2013/01/kai...o-in-nara.html
http://www.kaveyeats.com/2013/03/her...n-me-into.html
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 12:39 AM

Meant to say, though should be obvious, I added the two extra nights to show the travel days, with the 8 full days as Day 2 to Day 9. If you fly into Tokyo that gives you 4 nights in Tokyo, so you can explore a little more than just the 2.5 days.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 05:17 AM

No reason to go back to Tokyo before going to Narita. I'd spend two nights in Hakone, then go to Narita from there - as long as I had an afternoon flight out.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 06:54 AM

Kathie, that makes sense too... or even an overnight in Narita itself, depending on the flight times...
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 07:04 AM

Yes, Kavey, that works too. In any case no need to go back to Tokyo.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your knowledge and experience of Japan. This idea to travel to Japan during the Sakura season came up last minute and with limited time off work for my daughter, we are hoping to plan an itinerary that will allow us to experience some of the must sees, in such a short time.

3/29-4/6

We are reading and researching all the great ideas and suggestions from everyone. Will get back to you with more questions! Thank you all!
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 02:00 PM

If you are talking about this year, and going during peak season, I'd try and pin down the itinerary and get the accommodation booked as SOON as you possibly can. Very busy indeed.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Kavey....our flts are booked. Arrive evening of 3/29 Narita. Dept Narita on 4/6 evening.
We have 8 nights. Plan to split our stay 4 nites in Tokyo and 4 nites in Kyoto. I read the japan-guide .com which was very informative and helpful. Hotels in Tokyo are available so we are more focused on Kyoto first. We discovered that Kyoto hotels have more availability from the 3/30-4/3 and rates are more doable.
If we go after 4/1 to Kyoto, (4 nites) there is less hotels available and room rates are atrocious.

I am exploring the two ryokans you mentioned. Both look fabulous. Working on that right now.

Can you answer the following:
1) since we are going to Kyoto first 4 days of our trip, is there anyway to travel directly from Narita Airport to Kyoto without too much hassle? We arrive at 5pm. It doesn't look like the Shinkansen goes from Narita to Kyoto. Other routes to consider?

2) from Kyoto to Tokyo...would you recommend going to Hakone for 1 night for the onsens? If we went to Hakone, any recommendations on hotels or ryokans there?

3) if we did Hakone, what would be the best transportation to Tokyo? We are staying in Shinjuku.

Appreciate your thoughts. So much to plan so last minute. But very excited!
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Just saw Kavey's recommendation for Hakone...

Thank you!
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 09:57 AM

If you do Hakone, I'd do it after Tokyo and before Narita. Take the train.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 11:22 AM

To go directly from NRT to Kyoto is not an option - your choices are to fly - a connecting flight from NRT to one of the two airports near Kyoto - if you are coming in on an airline in the same group as ANA they have an Experience Japan fare - of course it may or may not be available for your time:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html
The other discount fares are all in a black out period on your arrival day unfortunately.

To go to Kyoto by train, you would need to transfer in Tokyo - Shinagawa is more manageable than Tokyo Station.

If you were using a JR Pass you can only use the Hikari trains which run a bit less often - to check the time you can use hyperdia.com - you need to uncheck the airline option at the bottom of the page as well as the Nozomi option if you are using a JR Pass.

You can be at Kyoto station by 10 pm if you make really good time on your flight and getting through customs and buying your ticket, etc.

But it is a stretch particularly if you have had a long flight- sorry I don't know where you are coming from.

I have done it myself more than once but I was not using a JR Pass so had more choice of trains and it was not quite so late when I started out. However this year my plane is due to land at 4:35 pm and I am planning to travel to Kyoto.

If you decide to stay overnight in Tokyo, a hotel near the Shinagawa Station would be most convenient imo.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Mara,
Since we are arriving in Narita after a long flt. From the US, I think we will stay in Tokyo overnight 3/29 and catch the Shinkansen the next morning to Kyoto. Do you have any recommendations of hotels near the Shinagawa station? Also, any recommendations of Kyoto hotels...we are open to boutique style or B & B inns near Kyoto station.

Thank you!!!
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 01:22 PM

Hi Jane

I've not been to Hakone, the suggestion was from the lovely mrwunrfl, as an option for your onsen request.

On my last trip I did finally visit onsen towns, but this was in Kyushu and not an option for you for this trip, so didn't suggest it. I think there are onsen options near Kyoto too but I believe Hakone is a more attractive option.

As Mara said, it'd be a push going from 5pm landing straight to Kyoto, though you could definitely do it, if you're travelling light and you sleep well on the flight. Certainly it's not complicated as Hyperdia even gives you arrival and departure platforms for each leg of the journey.

If you are buying a JR Pass, you can't use the Nozomi shinkansen trains, which means the faster routes, with less changes, are not available to you. (For example, leaving Narita Airport 18.19 pm, changing at Shinagawa and getting into Kyoto for 21.51)

It also means if your flight in is delayed by even an hour, you don't get into Kyoto till near 11 pm and that's late, given that you need to then get to your hotel (though I can recommend the Hotel Granvia IN Kyoto Station itself, actually, which we did for 3 nights of our first Kyoto stay, the other 2 nights being in Shiraume ryokan).
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 01:46 PM

janechan - I often stay in a budget hotel chain, Toyoko Inn:
http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/
You could see if that suits you and if there is availability.

For other hotels you can check on google maps - search for Shinagawa Station, Tokyo and you will see a few different hotels also in that area....

It is a great location for coming in from NRT and leaving the next morning on the shinkansen to Kyoto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -