south india travel itinerary advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, my family is planning a trip to south india this winter. can anyone advise about places not to miss and best mode of transportation? we are not the type of family that likes to "rough it". the trip is slated for approximately 2 weeks.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:48 AM

hi mgoyal,

Can u give more information on what ur interests are? What are the types of places u would want to visit? Is this going to be a group of youngsters ?? where are u going to be travelling from?
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your reply.
the trip will consist of my parents (50s), and 4 adults (20s-30s)-we're all newly married in the last 3 years. we are north indian but have never traveled the south (all us "kids" were born in the U.S. and live on the east coast). we are interested in historical sightseeing, good food, wildlife, beaches. thanks for your help.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:29 PM

I love Mysore in South India --- really beautiful place. If you are going to South India, probably your best bet is to fly into Chennai direct from JFK, Reagan, or Atlanta (although there is now a direct flight on Delta to Bangalore, as well) and then either travel by train or drive around. If you are interested in temples, South India and Tamil Nadu has incredible old temples built in a very different style than the North Indian temples. I have not been to Kerala, but have heard that the food and scenery there is beautiful.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:10 PM

I strongly advise Kerala - its a gorgeous state. Take a look at one of my favourite boutique hotel chain, www.cghearth.com. You could consoder flying into Bangalore, spending a couple of days there and seeing Mysore if it appeals, then flying to Coimbatore, picking up a car and driver, driving Munnar, Thekkaddy, Kumarokam, Cochin then out of Cochin. This will cover good food, sights and wildlife - only thing Kerala does not have is pristine beaches.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM

For a beach you might try the Marari Beach resort. It is one of CGHearth hotels. A friend of mine goes there every year and loves it. It is very quiet, beautiful beach with a great local atmosphere. That could be a plus for your family spend time togeather. Or if that seems to quiet go to Goa.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:58 PM

Hi Winter Travel you are heading for an life time experince , oh the region is so much to offer on knowledge point of view , cultural point of view , life style , yoga , Ayurveda and so many plesent sight to eye. AND more so you r travelling in to the best time of the year . Mind it it will be busy as well . So you can break your tour in two part 6/7 Days "TAMILANDU" & 6/7 Days KERALA . In Tamilnadu u can visit Mahabalipuram , Kanchipuram , Pondichey , Trichy , Tanjore & Madurai and from there starts on Kerala , Periyar , Back water resort like the one at Kumarakom , One night on Rice Boat { House Boat and end with cochin or Marari beach Resort . You may write to me at anand1sing on hot mail id to share more .Flight are plenty from Bombay/Chennai and back Cochin / Mumbai

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Hi there. Greetings from a American who lives in North India, but who absolutely loves South India too and occasionaly helps folks sort out their trips! I actually just helped a friend with his South details so i can easily jot down a few things here for a U. For a trip to South i MIGHT suggest exploring the two very differnt but fascinating south States of kerala and Tamil nadu. I wld do this by flying into Chennai and returning from Mumbai. I wld combine a trip like this with a combo of domestic flights and private car and driver. I wld include in a South trip perhaps a visit to a wildlife sancutary, a visit to a Tea or coffee plantations, a trip on the backwaters, seeing the superb temples of Tamil Nadhu, and of course, gorgeous places to stay and wonderful food every step of the way. A rough itinerary for two weeks that combines Tamil culture and kerala beauty and wildlife can go something like this CHENNai/Mahabalipuram/Pondicherry-TANJORE/Trichy/Madurai/Munnar/ALLEPpy/kumarakom/Cochi/Mumbai (BOMBAY) just an idea, but so many variations of the theme...Anyways, feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] Happy to help.