COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

India Itinerary Question

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

India Itinerary Question

Hi. We will be in India for one month (mid January to mid February 2007). We are thinking of spending approx. 2 weeks in Rajasthan, Agra and Delhi and the other 2 weeks in the Kerala area. Does this sound like a good plan or should I include other parts of India in this month. I realize that it is a large country and don't want to be rushing too much.
For the north, we were thinking of Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur, maybe Jodhpur, and maybe Ranthambore NP. Would you add or take away any of these places?

For the south, Cochin, Backwaters, maybe a resort. Is that good or should I add somewhere else?
Thanks for all of your help.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 09:57 PM

Spending 2 weeks in north India is a good idea but may be insufficient if you want to do these places in detail.

Rajastan itself would take more than a week.But then again, I guess you have to compromise somewhere.

Kerala is a wonderful place. A week there would suffice ( unless you want to totally relax ),the backwaters,ayurvedic massages,cultural tours good food etc,though the beaches are not as good as in Goa.
If you are into wildlife,you could spend time( after Kerala ) in bordering Karnataka & Tamilnadu.You have great Santuaries like the Bandipur, Mudumalai & Kabini.
Try Jungle Lodges & Resorts,a government run wildlife resort in Kabini,Nagarhole in Karnataka.Some great sighting of of wildlife.
Their web site is www.junglelodges.com
Ph 91 80 25597021 / 25/24
Ranthambore too is wonderful.If your lucky you could spot a tiger.
Worth the experience.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM

Namaste and greetings TravelJen from a American woman who lives in India!

Great to hear of your plans for your upcomming India trip, and wonderful to hear that you have one month for your trip too!

However, i must first say that januray/FEbuary is right around the corner and also thick in the mist of a very busy tourist season, so my first advice is to really get to the plotting and planning, as many hotels, etc are heavily booked!

In terms of one month for a trip that covers some of North and some of South, it is a Superb idea, and highly reccomendable. But of course with a trip of this nature and to cover from North to South you are certainly going to have to do quite a bit of traveling, and would probably combine a bit of all modes of transport such as train, flights, car/driver, etc..

And yes, as the distances from say Delhi to Cochi are quite great a flight or two, highly reccomednable!

Of course wld also advise a train or two on this route to get a feel for the land and the people, really depends on your mode of travel, your budget, and your interests.

Anyways, back to the North and the South trip, yes, i would probably advise two weeks in the North and two weeks in the South sounds like a good Plan.

In terms of where to go in the North,u can easily spend two weeks in Rajasthan, or, you can broaden your scope to inluce a few other States in the North such as Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.

And let me suggest that u inlcude VAranasi in your North trip, as this is one of the most fascianting places in all of India, and will give you a better understanding and feel for the region!

One idea for the North and a route I travel often as i lead many trips in the region, *YOU can do something like this, Delhi, Udaipur, Jaipur, Agra, Khajuraho, Varanasi, just a suggestion if you wanted to do a North India circuit.

Of course the choices are endless, that is just one way to go.

Okay, about South! yes, I love Kerala too, so surely u can spend two weeks in the region and the choices of where to go are endless!

And yes, Cochi is a wonderful place and i am actually off there for the holidays myself.

Anwyays, I would certainly suggest you experince floating down the backwaters on a houseboat via Allpey/ Quillon. this is a beautiufl experience!

U might also want to visit KUmarakom and there is a lovely resort thereCocunut Lagoon resort. Or u may want to visit Thekkady for a visit to Periyar wildlife Sanctury!

U might want to visit MUnnar for the Tea/ planataitons.

And U might also want to wind up with a few days at a beach, like Varkala!

The choices are endless, and of course, great places to stay throughout the state of Kerala!

Also, if you are combining North and South u may certainly want to avail yourself of a domestic airpass!

Also, I would suggest for a trip such as this to fly into Delhi and fly out of Bombay/MUmbai!

And also, i would surely spend a day or two in mUMBAI as well! Such a vibrant and exciting city!

Anyways, this is just food for thought! Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] and would be happy to help u plot and plan a wonderful itineary! Happy travels and Namaste.

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 12:04 AM

You have to take in that India is like a great big juicy fruitcake, and in order to enjoy it, you must take a slice at a time. By this, I mean that you must give yourself time to absorb the places you visit. Remamber that travel will take up on avarage a day at each location. For instance, a trip to Ranthambhore would be a 2 night/3 day trip. The other destinations can be fitted into 2 weeks. Once in Udaipur, you can fly via Mumbai to Cochin, (The direct flight Delhi/Cochin takes over 3 hours).
For the south, fly to Kochi, (Cochin), travel to Coconut Lagoon for 2 days, then drive to Lake Periyar and stay at Spice Village. 2 nights. Drive back to Kumarakom and 1 day/night on the Backwaters in a Houseboat. Then into Cochin, or Marari Beach resort, 45 minutes from Cochin, and take a day trip into town. fly to Mumbai and away from there. Good luck
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone,
I am taking all of your very helpful suggestions in and working on getting reservations...