son in SHA, need help with itinerary

Jul 20th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

son in SHA, need help with itinerary

I used this forum while planning for our first trip to Shanghai and Beijing earlier this year and the information was truly invaluable! My family and I had a great time exploring the city on our own.

I need help again, well actually, my son needs some help with his itinerary. He is back in Shangha for 8 weeks (Language study thru the Univ of California). The program will end mid August at which time he and a friend would like to visit the following cities. They plan to leave SHA on 15Aug but will need to get back to SHA on 01Sep for flight (02Sep) back to California.

to Xian
to Chengdu
to Chongqing for Yangtze river cruise - end in Wuhan
to Guilin
to Hainan Dao
to Hong Kong
back to Shanghai on Sept 1

Is this do-able in the timeframe - a bit over 2 weeks (17 days)?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Jul 20th, 2005, 10:21 PM

Hi,
You have not said , in these cities, want what is see , because there are too many contents really. In addition, how much is the budget? What is the concrete requirement ? For example, the hotel, means of transportation, English guide , diet ,etc.. There are a lot of places to go, must plan carefully .
Jul 21st, 2005, 05:17 AM

A Chongqing-Wuhan cruise will eat up 5 days already. They should get off at Yichang, after 3 days. Nothing to see betwen Yichang and Wuhan.

Is it doable, probably. Fly everywhere, and stay for 1-2 days each.

Also, if he goes to Hong Kong, he needs another visa (if his is a not a multiple-entry) to get back to China, unless he's only transitting in Shanghai for under 48 hours at the end. Check out official webpages of the Chinese Embassy.
Jul 21st, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks RKKWAN.... good to know re cruise -- I'll let him know. He's also checking with the University's travel office for help regarding the re-entry visa... didn't know he wouldn't have to have one if he's only transiting but will tell him to check it out.
Are there any of those cities he should just leave out.
He's more concerned if this itinerary is do-able - kids being kids are not so concerned with guides, hotels, diet, etc.
Thanks for prompt responses.
Jul 21st, 2005, 11:06 PM

Hi,
To Guilin.
The first day. After getting to Gui Lin, you can visit the stalactite and hole -- Reed Flute Cave (probably 60yuan ). Trunk mountain (probably 25yuan )that hill looks very much like a giant elephant with a long trunk, it is the symbol of Guilin city. Go Fubo Hill (probably 15yuan ) afterwards. Peculiar wind-tunnel and Tang and Song Dynasty imitate many places of precipice stone engraving on the mountain, mounting the mountaintop can see the beautiful scenery of urban area . Visit Diecai Hill (probably 20yuan ). If interested, can go Lijiang River local conditions and customs garden (probably 50yuan ). Watch (or visit by ship ) Two River & Four Lakes night scene in the evening. City visit in Gui Lin, is it act as land rent car to propose, expenses probably 40yuan in one day. About hotels , because does not know your concrete requirement , only propose living in the city center , but the price will be a bit more expensive. The ticket price offered above is consulted , might not be very accurate.

The next day. Visit between Lijiang River and Yang Shuo from Gui Lin by ship. Take car to Mopan Hill quay in the morning, visit one hundred li of galleries by ship. Behind going ashore Yang Shuo,let's realize it ancient customs and breath not modern it merge extremely harmonious town not ancient. You can sit in the cafe chatting at will together with friend from all corners of the country , stroll in the west street, indulge in the bar , live in Yang Shuo.

The third day. From going by bus (or the bicycle) in Yang Shuo to Yulong River, sit in quiet and beautiful Yulong River of the upper reaches of bamboo raft,can see old fisherman shakes the bamboo raft , cast net and fish , and groups ducks , it is the strong local colour everywhere. Go back to Yang Shuo after visiting monthly the Moon Hill to the big banyan of terminal point about four hours later, get back to Gui Lin in the afternoon. There is the verse that says, Guilin has the most beautiful scenery in China,and Yangshuo is the most beautiful past of Guilin.

About the diet , advise you to go to Haodama cuisine variety street. Its way in Zhongshan of Gui Lin. Or go to the restaurant of Cape of Good Hope of the people of Gui Lin. It is in Yiren of Gui Lin. These two restaurants are both local flavor.

Because your time is very compact, only offer a routine circuit.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:45 AM

Unless there's something specific he wanted to see in Chengdu, I'd skip it and fly Xian to Chongqing. I believe there are some 3 night cruises that end in Wuhan. There aren't as many flights departing from Yichang so it may be easier to fly out from Wuhan airport. Check the schedules. He'll probably need to fly via Guangzhou to Guilin. There used to be a 2x weekly nonstop between Wuhan and Guilin on China Southern but I don't see it on their flight schedule anymore.

From the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC website -

Visas are not required of Citizens of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours : Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece.