Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

So What's the Deal with the Nepal Bandh (Lock-down Strike)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And more importantly, how best do I follow it? We are planning to be there in mid-February (5 nights Kathmandu and 3 nights Phulbari working farm, but not if we can't leave our hotel.)
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Craig, I've been thinking of you and Jeane as I've been reading about this. I typically follow such stories on the New York Times and BBC websites (type Nepal into the search box). There is recent (last few days) info on both websites.

When I googled I found that the articles that are indexed are from late October.

I hope things are calm so you can go!
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM

just as i start to look at kathmandu again....
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 01:12 AM

Heya Craig, yup - I'm on this topic, too. I was almost gonna go on Boxing Day. I've been Googling and making some one on one enquiries. Google 'Kathmandu Maoist bandh' and click on News. That'll keep you right up to date, big time. The clue is News.

You won't like what you're gonna read.

When it's a bandh - this means that the roads are blocked with lunatic mobs OUT of control. It ain't like a strike as we know it. Wherever you are - you will stay. Your personal safety will NOT be at risk unless you, like Dog, goes exploring. Don't. Should you find a march coming toward you - position yourself in the doorway of a shop. Run inside.

Last time, about four days ago, they blocked the road in and out of the airport. Tear gas. Baton charges. I've been in KTM during a few bandhs. The problem is that no-one will tell you what is going on. You wander out into the street and uhhh - where are all the cars? Uhhh - where are all the people? Rioting down town is where.

I get the feeling you might be staying at the Hyatt. Read this from Tripadvisor, dated December 20th 2009 [I'll copy it in here, 'cos it's very instructive] I hope 'Chattan_k' is O.K. with this:

'...What a shame. This hotel in a good location and beautifully appointed rooms was beset by work stoppages by hotel employees demanding a 100% salary and 40% dearness allowance (whatever that is) raise. Three days in a row this happened. It got so disruptive that our group was glad to be out of the place each day before the strike started at 09.00 hrs.

This is a mess that just made the stay quite unbearable. We saw a guest cooking his own eggs because the staff walked out of the coffee shop in the middle of breakfast!...'

Here's the link:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT

So check and double check.

Here's part of an E from Hotel Courtyard I got the other day:

'...Regarding the current political situation: Nepal has always been a safe destination for tourists. I am originally from Seattle, Washington, and feel safer here as a woman here in this country than back in my hometown- guns are not allowed in Nepal!. The recent bandh is finished - we never know how things will evolve from day to day here in Nepal- only that tourists are always looked after and prioritized as EVERYONE here realizes that foreigners are crucial to the country's survival.

Best regards,
Michelle Pradhan

As I understand it, there is a period of grace [they call it re-education] that goes on from now till the end of January. After that they are threatening an indefinate bandh.

Don't trust the Dog tho' - everything changes hourly in Nepal - stay on top of this yourself every day and, really pal, DON'T WORRY - errr... yet.

There's a LOT more I could give you - but I imagine I've freaked you out, as we used to say - quite enough. lol.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dogster - I was hoping you'd post your take on things. It's probably premature to be thinking about a "Plan B" - maybe Kolkata for a couple of days then on to Bangkok and Laos.

I had seen the TA review and have been monitoring the situation via Google. I guess I'll just continue to do so.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 05:12 AM

Yup, dunno what else to say. I thought all that Maoist business was all over Red Rover. Nope. Worse.

In the interests of full disclosure, I'd better tell you that Hoefer's place in Phulbari was commandeered by the Maoists last time. They beat up Govinda the caretaker, stole the food and erected red flags everywhere. As it's on top of a mountain, everybody for miles around could see.

Just to cheer you up.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:29 AM

we are supposed to be there just before you Craig, arriving in Kathmadu Feb 7th to 11th.
Things can change either way by the looks of it, so we are going witht the idea that we need to have a plan B. Our flight to Kathmandu is from Jaipur, so we will check the news and Fodors a couple of days before our scheduled departure and if need be, just stay in Rajasthan instead.
I dont personally want to cancel now in case things settle down. Keep our fingers crossed.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:34 AM

Here is your bandh calendar.

www.nepalbandh.com

I note the garbage men have been helping. Thanks dalbhattarkari from L.P.Thorntree.

'...Meanwhile smouldering and rotting garbage is piling up at every street corner in Kathmandu as the garbage collectors are on strike since Dec 20...'

But here's a positive post from artur1218:

'...I kind of like those strikes in Kathmandu... I had the pleasure of walking 45 mins to the Kathmandu airport on 21st December (another strike), carrying my backpack. I didn't mind it at all...'

See what I mean?
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM

For both of you, I would google 'dalbhattarkari' as the days get closer and locate his posts in Lonely Planet/Thorntree. He seems like a very good source of information on the ground in Nepal.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks Dogster, will do
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Debbe - I feel the same way - maybe things will settle down, maybe not...

We look forward to meeting you in Varanasi.

I had a brainstorm on our plan "B" - our Rotary Youth Exchange student from Connecticut is living in Indore this school year - I am thinking of heading down there to see her and meet her host parents. I don't know a thing about Indore though...
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM

We-e-e-ell Craig, the Dogster might just be able to help you there... BIG time.

Just a teaser:
www.ahilyafort.com/your_stay_indore.php
This is an absolute MUST-STAY in Indore.

then the big one:
www.ahilyafort.com

Google: Dhar, Mandu, Ujjain and Omkareshwar for cultural richness.

I'll let you play with that for a while. It's all very much in your zone.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 08:05 PM

Well it does not look good does it. here is an article pasted from the PTI (Press Trust of India)

Kathmandu, Jan 4 (PTI) Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal has said that the government will not be a mute spectator if Maoists initiate moves to capture power, as the former rebels declared "autonomous states" to set up parallel authorities in the country.

"If they move towards that direction, will the state remain silent? No, the government has the responsibility of protecting state and its nationals," the Prime Minister said.

The Maoists have threatened to paralyse the country with an indefinite general strike from January 24 if the government failed to rectify the "unconstitutional" decision of President Ram Baran Yadav, who reinstated the then army chief Gen Rukmangad Katawal, dismissed by Prachanda in May last year.

The Maoists have threatened to capture power and declare the new Constitution from the streets if their demands were not met.

end of paste

So it looks like we will change our plans as well. Sad to say but dont want to deal with cancelling when we are there.

Plan b is in the works.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:16 AM

Hi live - I'm in Kathmandu right now. There are no bandh issues at present, all is calm, if rather cold at night. Everybody I have talked to is aware of the looming January 24th deadline. Up until then there will be no issues - after that nobody knows. Your above article sums it up. Hang on if you can till closer to that date. Use the nepalbandh website above - everybody here does.