I've given the new layout a chance - now just about ready to give up

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am now truly frustrated at the time to try and log in to Fodor's Forum to the point where I don't think it is worth the hassle.

I have been a member fo so many years I can't remember, but the slowness is not just tiresome but once logged in it is not clear and simple. We have high speed internet yet it just takes ages and ages.

Plus, sorry, I just don't like the lay-out or the colors, it is no longer clear and simple.

When it first came out it was "Oh well, we will have to get used to it" - I pointed out that in my humble opinion 'improving a website should make it easier to read, easier to navigate, it should be clear and precise, it should be a pleasant experience, and of course should be fast'.

I'm bringing this up again because just from another post I know I am not the only one.

A lesson should be taken from Google - make it clear, simple, fast, accurate.

That is my one and only real moan about this site in all these years. So many of use have enjoyed being able to access a a very friendly and sensible forum with none of the rants that appear elsewhere - it will be a great pity not just for us but for Fodor's if those of use that have enjoyed reading and posting for all these years just turn away.

What does everyone else think ?
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM

James, I'm not having any problems with slowness. At the beginning, I was. There are some things I'm still getting accustomed to, but I expect I will be more comfortable with time.

Anyone else having problems with pages laoding as James is? James, you're a valuable member of this forum and I'd hate for you to leave us!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM

No problems to speak of--if anything, it's gotten faster since the initial unveiling.

Moreso, never had an issue signing in at all--I save my password on my browser and I always pull right into the forums, already logged in/signed in.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 02:25 PM

It's been so slow for me as well. Cumbersome enough that I only come by about once a week now, whereas I used to be on several times daily.

I second all of James' sentiments: don't care for the layout or colors; don't find it as smooth as it used to be and every page loads so slowly I just keep giving up!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM

Like filmwill, I haven't had issues with signing in either. When I arrive at the site I'm already signed in. Maybe this is because I never log out when I leave? I don't have issues with slowness either.

Most of the changes haven't really bothered me. I think the only thing I miss is having the 50 most recent topics along the left side.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No problems. iris1745/dock
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, spelling is a problem. Dick
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 03:50 PM

I would rather see the standard VBulletin messageboard style rather than this one.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM

It is what it is but Fodors.com is no longer slow for me. Try another browser or ISP. I see that many sites (but not this one) are slower on my office server.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM

I'm also experiencing verrrry sloooow load times.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:10 PM

Those of you who are having problems with slow loading - what browser are you using? Maybe we can help Fodors figure this out.

I'm on a Mac, so I use Safari.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:12 PM

It can be slow at times for me, but the nature of the slowness makes me think it's the network here in Thailand (especially the wi-fi connection at home) rather than the site itself. Unlike Google, I doubt Fodors has a global network of thousands of servers to balance the load when a lot of people are using it.

I'm not crazy about the colors, but they're not a barrier to using the forums.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM

i find it slower on and off....like tonight it takes for ever...

jamesA---DON'T YOU DARE DESERT US....!!!!

you michael, hanuman and a few others who are on site are invaluable to a board like this....

you have given so much, just hang in there and let them get more kinks out of the system, PLEASE

bob
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM

Not slow at all for me, but I don't frequent the site nearly as often as I used to due to the new layout.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM

It's often slow for me too. Mainly I use Firefox but havr tried IE with no improvement.
I too find the post listing on the left unsatisfactory.
Why can't we just have a list and then a link to next fifty posts?

James, please reconsider......you will be sadly missed on this forum.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:59 PM

Agree about JamesA it was be a shame to lose such an valuable poster.
My pet hate is the loss of the next 50 messages tab and also if you are on a long thread you have to go half way back up to see what other threads are PLEASE BRING BACK MESSAGES IN 50's
Messages by date are useless, i find i only look at the one listed on the first page now.
I dont mind the colours and i don't yet appear to have any issues with logging in etc.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 10:04 PM

JamesA,

Regarding the speed - the advertised speed by the ISPs in Thailand are only for the Thai national net or Thailand only. When accessing foreign nets it is usually only about 25% of the advertised speed, i.e. you have a 1 mb ADSL you will only have speed of around 256kb when you use Fodors. During peak business hours it can even be slower.

Stick around mate!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:34 PM

I think reports fall out of sight fast, .. so bringing back more posts somehow would certainly improve the activity.

I am getting used to it and trying to click click click to where I want to be and see what's out there, but I will admit it is not as much "fun" to sit down here as it used to be.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:53 AM

Well, it's quite a bit slower for me right at the moment. I'm in Switzerland. Don't know why that would make a difference, unless there are lots of folks on the internet at the same time??? Sometimes I have a "weak" signal and sometimes it is "very good."
Carol
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:26 AM

It's not slow, just a bit unwieldy. JamesA, keep trying, please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -