Snorkel Conditions Phi Phi Don & Similan Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the disaster in and around Phuket 3 months behind us have the beach conditions and boatsmen gone back to going from Phuket to Phi Phi Don and the "fast boat" making the day trips and doing 2 stops in the Similan Islands??

Were the outcropping coral severly damaged by the debris that came off the land and then washed back into the ocean break it badly? It takes coral 1-2 years to regenerate even a bit, I am told.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:17 PM

I woudl be very interested in any infomation on this as well.

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:25 PM

I was in Phuket a few weeks back, some dive operators are still operating, as to which dive areas they are going to is not so easy to ascertain. The Similan Islands should be, from what I know ok. Around Phi Phi I understand there was a lot of rubble etc washed into the water, but there has also been a very large clean up going on. I think the best idea is to check on pwww.phuketgazette.net and look under the listings for dive operators and ask them, in general I think you will get a decent and honest answer as they immediately set about doing everything to clean up the dive sites and from accounts they have done a good job. Boats are going to Phi Phi but there are lots of other smaller islands and of course the Similans where I am sure they are still going.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:26 PM

Sorry that should be 'most' dive operators still operational.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Probably wise to wait until Julu for the Ohuket area to be back to 90% of normal for hotels, resturants, local streets.

Phi Phi which was hit much harder I understabd should also bounce back by then (4 months).

Any other very recent input on Phuket-Le Maridian Yacht Club and Phuket, in general.
I am aware Similan travel after Aug, are not adviseable even for experienced snorkelers from Aug. until Feb.
Right?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:25 AM

Le meridien Yacht Club I think was unscathed, perhaps a bit of beach debris, i was there now I guess a noth back and Kata/Karon were fine and except for just one spot on Patong beach where some earthmover was doing 'something' the beaches were fine. Just in Patong along the beachfront road at that time repairs going on but it was really just more construction than usual, I think McD was almost fixed up and Starbucks was open as usual, Haden Daz etc. Not sure where 'Hooters' will be ! But as I said Kata/Karon were fine and even the 'In on the beach' which is right on the beach itself at Karon was open for business by then.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:39 PM

when i was in phuket last month i was told by the locals that much of the coral was damaged around phi-phi, but i didn't get specific percentage wise. we found some tours weren't running only because they weren't full enough and had to check a few spots before getting someone to pick us up for snorkeling at kai and raya island.