Reload this Page >

Floating Markets

Search

Floating Markets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 07:43 AM
joseph cameron

Floating Markets

We'll be in Bangkok in November and would appreciate advice about floating markets to visit, and the best way to travel to them. Guidebooks mention a number of such markets, but say most are overrun with tourists. What do you advise? Should we join a group or see them on our own? And are there particularly good canal tours we can take in Bangkok (alone or in a small group)? We would very much appreciate your ideas and suggestions.

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 06:20 AM
Pira

The most famous floating market is the one in Damnoensaduak, I think. It's easy to get there, and picturesque, but of course a bit touristy. <BR> <BR>An alternative is in Amphawa, Samutsongkram, also about an hour from Bangkok. It has the most beautiful canalside community that I know of, and nearby there're two floating markets. I think one is called Talad-nam Bang Nok-Kwaek, the other Talad-nam Tha-ka. Hope you can find info about them in the guidebooks, since I have no clue how to get there except by driving.

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 02:14 AM
Teresa

Hi Joseph, <BR> <BR>We've just returned from Bangkok and Phuket. We went on the Damnoensaduak tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. It may be a bit touristy, but nevertheless it is exactly as you might see in pictures. You can walk around on the side of the klongs, where you can buy souvinirs, fruit, clothing, drinks etc. and the tour guide will organize for you to be rowed through the klongs for about 100B (A$4), you can buy the same stuff from the boat. I don't know about making your own way there, we usually prefer to do our own thing, but found that Bangkok is so big and busy it's far easier and relaxing to book tours. If I can help with anything else, please let me know. My family and I spend 12 days and Bangkok and 8 in Phuket. <BR> <BR>Teresa.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:04 PM
To The Top

TTT

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:19 AM
Colin

Just to repeat what others say, Damneon Saduak was touristy, but worth it !<BR><BR>Make sure you make the effort to get rowed through the market. It was a wonderful experience! (if a little Disney like)<BR><BR>_____________________________________ __<BR>My travelogue and photos<BR>Bangkok, Ayutthya, Chiang Rai,<BR>Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi<BR>http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~fos007/fb2b.htm<BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:44 AM
Scotters

Taking a boat down the canals in Bangkok is an interesting trip which you can either be done on a tour or on your own. The early morning tour first goes along the river past Wat Arun and then along its winding canals. Once you have entered the canal you will see wooden houses on both sides, with their colorful flowers (mostly orchids) hanging from the front and the contrast in style from nothing more than little huts to massive teak complexes next door. Witness their lifestyle as the children and dogs swam in river, while their mothers wash the dishes and clothes in the dirty polluted waters. It is a real eye-opener of a boat ride. The tour cost 4-500 baht and if you go this route, try to get one (may cost a little more but worth it) that stops at the Royal Barge Museum, a truly eye catching place.<BR> To go on your own is easy. Go to the River City boat pier, hire a long-tailed boat for about 800 baht for 2 hours, and plan your own route. Take in the small canals of Thonburi, make a short stop at the barge museum and on your way back stop at Wat Arun. The price that you pay is for the boat, so if you can get a group of 4-6 together, it may pay to go for 4 hours, which allows more time at each stop.<BR>