Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is it better to go to the floating market from Bangkok or Hua Hin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Richard

We will be visiting both Bangkok and Hua Hin. As the floating market is south of Bangkok as is Hua Hin, it seems that it would be more convenient to see it when we are in Hua Hin. Is that correct? Also would there be a difference in price between going from Bangkok or Hua Hin?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Nancy

There are several &quot;floating markets&quot;, some of which are within the Bangkok city limits, so would not make sense to see from them Hua Hin. If you are talking about the traditional floating market in Ratchburi Province, I believe that is just about right in the middle between Hua Hin and Bangkok (about 100 km from each city), so you may be able to do it from either end. However, you should see the market in the early morning hours, so you need to consider this when making your plans.<BR><BR>I believe you can join take package tours of the market from either Bangkok or Hua Hin. I can't imagine that the cost from either place is very different.<BR><BR>There is also a large floating market at Damnernsaduak which I believe is east of Bangkok, so would not be on the way to Hua Hin.<BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Richard

Thanks Nancy. Yes, I was referring to the traditional one in Ratchaburi. We are planning to hire a driver to take us from Bangkok to Hua Hin. Do you know if the floating market would be on the way so we could kill two birds with one stone?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Margo

Yes you could do it on the way but a very early start from Bangkok. A car+driver normally costs B 1,500 to 1,800 baht and you would have to pay extra for their time/kms to go on the way. Otherwise there are daily excursions from Hua Hin, I 'think' they leave Hua Hin about 4 .30 am

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Richard

Thanks Margo. As I understand it, the organized tours leave very early as well, so I think that seeing it on the way may be the way to do it.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Scotters

Just for your information the floating market in Ratchburi Province is known as the Damnernsaduak market

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:25 PM
bob

i think i would go from hua hin as there would be less traffic...i have done it by private car from the marriott in bkk and we did it in just 5 hours roundtrip, including the renting of a small boat and the tour around...our car took us right up to the bridge and let us off---right on top of the area you want to be in.....forget the organized tours...this was 2000 and i think we paid about $50-60 for the car. we had a short stop at rose garden but we hated it and left...i would not suggest you do that and it is nearer bkk...<BR>you could do a private car from HH for cheaper i am sure...in the downtown there are many choices if you look for them or ask at the hotel...tell them you want it cheaper and they know of someone...<BR>in nov 2002 i saw the sign for it when we were on our way back from HH so i know it is accessible from that direction...i would not combine it in my transit but that is up to you...plan on about 2 hours to get there

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Richard

Thanks to Scotters and Bob.