Small charming hotels in Bali

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a possible trip to Bali next March. We will be two female friends on a spa and shopping trip looking to relax and enjoy the gorgeous scenery.

We'll be staying in the Ubud area for about 5 days. This will be my fourth trip there, but the first for my friend.

Would anyone have some good recommendations for places to stay?

Here's what we are looking for:
1. very small boutique type place
2. friendly local atmosphere, down to earth
3. great views
4. close to Ubud, but not in Ubud
5. a true Bali feeling
6. good value for what you get

Here's what we are not looking for:
1. big fancy resort
2. honeymoon spot with couples everywhere
3. family resort with lots of kids
4. over the top luxury
5. package tourists

Since I haven't been to Bali in many years, I have no idea what the good places are these days. I've searched the forum, but found mainly honeymoon advice.

If any of you have some good ideas, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Waka Padma may fit some of your criteria tho u have not mentioned a budget...look it up on www.wakaexperience.com
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Take a look at Begawan Giri.

Expensive, unique and beautiful with the best view out of all the hotels that I visited around Ubud(Four Seasons, Aman and Uma).

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:49 AM

You may be looking for my house outside Ubud just past the Maya hotel on the way to Pejeng. I will be happy to send you photos. It was built last year, so is clean and beautiful with Balinese style high ceilings and outdoor mandi plus two western syle bathrooms, kitchen and garden, rice field views (+ocean on clear days)from the upstairs balcony. The neighbors are delightful people, and the house and garden are cleaned daily, and offerings made. You can walk to the Maya if you want to swim, and it's about 30 min (walking) to Ubud. I have a great driver if you need one, or the neighbors can help you.
I don't plan to be there in March. Price is negotiable, the village doesn't like to have an empty house. R Beames
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 03:18 PM

Hanuman - I love Begawan Giri too but think it is def "over the top luxury"!
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 03:47 PM

In no particular order, why don't you look at Taman Harum, Alam Sari, Ulun Ubud, Alila Ubud...actually there are just loads of places that I've found while looking for our December/January trip.

I've just been looking at places on various booking sites, then going to the hotel's own webpage if they have one, and I've corresponded by e-mail with the ones I really ended up liking, and then finally made a decision. Every place I wrote to I was very specific about my expectations and asked many questions. In every case, the replies were prompt and courteous. It was a great help to communicate with the places directly and I'd recommend that before booking.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 01:24 AM

If by ?boutique? you mean small and maybe a bit quirky, as opposed to luxuries with air conditioning and all the latest gizmos, then I can suggest two. Neither are 5 star, but would be a good choice, good value for money and I think fit your bill. Not sure either has a spa, but you may be able to take spa treatments at other hotels (try the Alia mentioned above, take a look at www.alilahotels.com ), and there are some shops in Ubud offer more traditional Balinese treatments.

ANANDA COTTAGES
Jl. Campuhan, Ubud
Phone: 0361/975376
Fax: 0361/975375
http:// http://www.anandaubud.com

This is a bit outside of Ubud in the rice fields. Very friendly staff. Ask for a room on an upper floor, they are 2-storey wooden bungalows with thatched roofs.

TJAMPUHAN
Jl. Campuhan, Ubud
Phone: 0361/975368
Fax: 0361/975137
http://www.tjampuhan.com
It is in a nice wooded glen/hillside location just a little bit out of town. I prefer the Anada as it has a sunnier location in the rice fields, but the Tjampuhan generally gets good reviews.

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much to all who have given their great ideas! I'll check these places out.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 08:00 PM

Mealea, We just returned from a few days in Ubud. I think the Alila is a good balance for what you're looking for -- an interesting mix of people of all ages, from all over the world, plus profoundly beautiful location, with refined design, a wonderful pool and spa, good food, activities on demand. It's about 20 minutes outside of Ubud, but they run regular shuttles.
I've stayed there numerous times over the past 10 years and have always been satisfied by the service and attention to detail.

While I was there I checked out a couple of newish properties in the area. The Uma is just on the outskirts of Ubud. It's gotten a lot of press lately. I found it too be pretty, but a bit on the cramped side. They have some good yoga/well being programs.

The Kayumanis is on the same ridge as the Alila (and the Four Seasons and the Begawan Giri). It's a very lovely property -- all suites with plunge pools and wonderful views. Might be a somewhat isolated though.

I often try other places in Bali but continually come back to the Alila in Ubud (and the Legian at the beach). I think because they offer the right blend of peace and isolation plus activity and "people watching" when you seek it.

Here are the websites:

http://www.alilahotels.com/Ubud/

http://www.uma.como.bz/ubud/default.asp

http://www.kayumanis.com/kayumanis-villas-ubud.php
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 08:57 PM

Not sure why this thread didn't go to the top.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:44 AM

I am just back from Bali on a 7 day trip with my 2 female friends. We really enjoyed out stay at Tegal Sari (www.tegalsari-ubud.com). Take the wooden room.

We had a very good driver, I Ketut Suarya. I gave him some idea of where we like to visit and our interests. He came out with very interesting suggestions. He is a safe driver and he speaks English. We had great fun going off-the-beaten track and interacting with the locals (eg we visited a village cock-fighting). His email [email protected], tel : 08123609899.

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:48 AM

Try UMA in Ubud. I met the marketing director for that hotel last August while staying at the Metropolitan in Bangkok...which is the same hotel group. She had a whole porfolio delivered to my room on UMA... which was brand new then and it really looks wonderful.Just a few days ago I received a postcard from her with a picture of their new property in Bhutan. The Metropolitan, in Bangkok, was wonderful, so I would also think that UMA would be wonderful,too.That hotel group really focuses on relaxation. In my room at the Metropolitan (which had more of a feel of staying in an apartment than a hotel) there was a yoga mat provided.And the restaurants had some very healthy food choices on the menu. If you do try UMA please post as to how it was. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:32 AM

By the way, Begawan Giri was bought out by the Como group that owns UMA in Ubud and the Metropolitan in Bangkok. The marketing director mentioned this to me back in Aug 2004 when I was in Bangkok. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:38 AM

I have heard and read great things about Alam Jiwa in Ubud. The prices are reasonable and it looks wonderful. Was featured in Travel&Leisure. I can't wait to stay there next time I go to Bali.
www.alamjiwa.com
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:02 PM

When I went to Ubud in Fall 2003, I stayed at Bali Spirit Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's about a 5- minute drive outside of town, just past the monkey forest. It's small and rather charming.